Jump to content
MrsCookingyo

Possible severe weather

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

 

We're sailing on Empress on Monday, 8/29. We're flying in same day with our flight scheduled to land around 11am which would put us at the port around 1pm with a departure at 4pm. We're concerned that possible severe weather is headed towards Miami during this time and our flight could possibly be delayed. If there are significant delays for many passengers (due to weather) would the ship delay the departure time? Or should we proactively schedule a new flight a day early? Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will not usually hold the ship unless there are a significant number of delayed passengers who booked their flights through Royal. And even then, I've never seen them delay a sailing more than a couple of hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never fly in the day of a cruise is the best advice I was ever given and have never done it. Way too many things can go wrong when flying, we all know that.

 

You will be out of luck and have to fly to the next port on your own dime to meet up with the ship....huge expense and missing out on a good portion of your vacation cruise on a short cruise like that.

 

Rebook asap is the only advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On top of what they said ..... keep in mind, just because departure time is 4:00 -- they require all passengers be on board, I believe, 90 minutes in advance (please correct me if I'm wrong guys on the deadline to board time) so that the manifest can be turned over to Homeland Security .... which means you'd have to be on in the 2:30 range ...

 

RESCHEDULE TO THE DAY BEFORE --- YOU DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF HEADACHE LEADING INTO A VACATION!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew in the day of my Majesty cruise a couple weeks ago.. and while everything went perfectly, I was fairly stressed going in to it. 

 

We will have to fly in on the day of for our cruise on Allure for our honeymoon (leaving the day after our wedding to board) unless there is a midnight red-eye.. we'll be exhausted though. 

 

I definitely strongly prefer the day before, but also get the situations where it's just not doable. If it must be done, make sure it's a direct flight and it's as early in the morning as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we would of been hosed flying in the day before in this case.  We decided to fly in on Saturday, and worst case we chill in Miami for 2 wet and windy days. I've ridden out a few mean typhoons in Okinawa many moons ago so I guess as long there is booze we'll be o.k.  The good news is we will be able to periscope current conditions for those arriving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, my drive is only 4 1/2 hours to the port in Galveston, and I leave the day before. It's part of the vacation â›´

 

We do the same neighbor. Looking forward to your Liberty report Michael.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I can't wait I was thrilled to see in a July CC from Liberty in July that Phil Anderson is back in Schooner. He's a blast and we missed him in February. I think he followed Navigator when she left Galveston, but it appears he's back. He's an Oklahoma guy and wants to be based in Galveston, understandably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recent experience...  On July 29 we were schedule to fly from Buffalo, NY at 8:00AM to Fort Lauderdale landing at 11:00AM, boarding Oasis of the Seas on July 30.  When we arrived at the airport at 6:00 AM we were told our flight was cancelled and they could reschedule us to arrive in Fort Lauderdale the following evening.  Getting us there after the ship would have left port.   That was the only alternative Southwest gave us.  We walked over to Jet Blue and they got us to FL at midnight the same night.  20 hours in an airport and planes was not fun.  We had to pay ridiculous money to get us there but had we been flying the same day as we were to board ship we would have missed it.    
 
Change reservation and fly the day before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we would of been hosed flying in the day before in this case.  We decided to fly in on Saturday, and worst case we chill in Miami for 2 wet and windy days. I've ridden out a few mean typhoons in Okinawa many moons ago so I guess as long there is booze we'll be o.k.  The good news is we will be able to periscope current conditions for those arriving.

 

 

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback and thoughts.  It hasn't been an easy road, but we definitely have changed our travel plans due to the impending storm Sunday/Monday.  We'll be flying in on Saturday evening, so we'll definitely make the boat departing on Monday. 

 

It should be an interesting trip, and I'm wondering if our itinerary will be changed due to weather.  How far in advance, if any, do they make that call?  And, where would be the best place to find out that information (assuming here, correct)? :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on it.. Wife is nervous, I got a drink package...

Make sure you visit the pool deck late night... A lot of people must have had drink packages because people were jumping in with their clothes on around 2 am!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps if you got her a drink package, she would be less nervous with you.

She has it too....

 

Make sure you visit the pool deck late night... A lot of people must have had drink packages because people were jumping in with their clothes on around 2 am!!

With clothes on?  Oh well, could be funny...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it's not weather related ....

 

This morning was a good example as to why you should fly in a day early if possible ...

 

In cased you missed it this morning, there was a power outage that affected Miami & Ft. Lauderdale causing significant delays.

 

I believe everything is back to normal now, but why risk it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...