Royal Caribbean Blog

Not your usual "they cancelled my cruise" post...?

5 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

You will make it to the 5 years! Odyssey or not, you'll find another place/cruise to celebrate this fabulous milestone!

I sure hope so! I have a hereditary cancer gene (Lynch Syndrome) that has about a dozen cancers in the syndrome. Since I’ve had one, I have an 80% chance of developing another. We’ve lived on a small horse farm for 20 years and rarely traveled. Now we can and we can’t. 🙁

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this EXACT post, word for word, around a month ago:   Even the subject line is the same.   😔

I like the idea of a 70s party....but if its not like Dazed and Confused, im going to be disappointed. 

Its one of my fav things that Royal does....every CD or ship has their own spin on it.....now some are doing 80's and 90's too.....those are always dont miss items for me on the Cruise Compass!

I've seen a lot of folks here mention motion sickness when sailing out of Bayonne. We are booked on Anthem out of Bayonne in March 2022 and my friend warned me that her sail from there was the roughest she's ever experienced. I'm getting a litle nervous, though there's not much I can do about it. I tend toward motion sickness and always wear a patch on a cruise, but i did get a bit sick on our last Disney Cruise out of Port Canaveral in March 2019. Is it really, really rough? How long does that tend to last? Thanks for sharing your experiences, especially if you have a queasy tummy like me! We're trying star class, so maybe I'll just ask my genie to take my nausea away for me, lol.

3 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

I've seen a lot of folks here mention motion sickness when sailing out of Bayonne. We are booked on Anthem out of Bayonne in March 2022 and my friend warned me that her sail from there was the roughest she's ever experienced. I'm getting a litle nervous, though there's not much I can do about it. I tend toward motion sickness and always wear a patch on a cruise, but i did get a bit sick on our last Disney Cruise out of Port Canaveral in March 2019. Is it really, really rough? How long does that tend to last? Thanks for sharing your experiences, especially if you have a queasy tummy like me! We're trying star class, so maybe I'll just ask my genie to take my nausea away for me, lol.

It honestly depends. We sailed Explorer to Caribbean in March and don't recall anything major. We sailed NCL Gem out of NYC on 1/11/2011 and a blizzard was coming in, WOW that ship was rocking, but we survived. Anthem is a big ship I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

When did your friend sail? Was it one of the times the captain took her through a major storm that hit all the news stations? Because that's rare. Now with James Van Fleet monitoring all weather all the time, you'll be fine.

I also have never gotten sea sick, and been in some rough seas ... although I keep trying to pass that one time I drank too much rum punch off as sea sickness to my wife... she isn't buying it . 😂

3 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

When did your friend sail? Was it one of the times the captain took her through a major storm that hit all the news stations? Because that's rare. Now with James Van Fleet monitoring all weather all the time, you'll be fine.

I'm honestly not sure when she sailed, but she didn't mention a storm so I think she just felt like it was super choppy compared to other ports she's sailed from. I will definitely avoid any rum punch until we are well on our way south! 🙂

9 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

Is it really, really rough? How long does that tend to last? Thanks for sharing your experiences, especially if you have a queasy tummy like me!

As @twangster always says, and he can word it better than me, but motion varies depending on so many factors that it is hard to predict based on someone else's experience.  That being said, my daughter and I are both really sensitive to motion.  We sailed Anthem out of Bayonne twice.  Once was in March, the other time in July.  Both times we had a JS that was mid ship. There was considerably more motion in March than there was in July.  March sailing we had to take our meds for motion.  July we did not.  I also feel like Anthem is not as steady as Oasis class.  But I do not know enough about the way ships are built to back that up lol.

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

As @twangster always says, and he can word it better than me, but motion varies depending on so many factors that it is hard to predict based on someone else's experience.  That being said, my daughter and I are both really sensitive to motion.  We sailed Anthem out of Bayonne twice.  Once was in March, the other time in July.  Both times we had a JS that was mid ship. There was considerably more motion in March than there was in July.  March sailing we had to take our meds for motion.  July we did not.  I also feel like Anthem is not as steady as Oasis class.  But I do not know enough about the way ships are built to back that up lol.

I was reading your live blog from the March trip and getting queasy just thinking about it, lol. I will be medicated up the wazoo for the first couple of days. We're in the GLS all the way aft, so I'm worried about that as well. Mind over matter - there's no barfing in star class! 🤣

7 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

I was reading your live blog from the March trip and getting queasy just thinking about it, lol. I will be medicated up the wazoo for the first couple of days. We're in the GLS all the way aft, so I'm worried about that as well. Mind over matter - there's no barfing in star class! 🤣

Actually I someone told me before that when they sailed Star on Oasis, they got sick (motion) and their genie found out and she went out of her way to help her feel better, ginger, apples, meds, all sorts of remedies lol. So it’s not too far fetched to call the genie 🤣

So exciting for trying Star. It is wonderful. And the lofts at the back of Anthem have fantastic views.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Actually I someone told me before that when they sailed Star on Oasis, they got sick (motion) and their genie found out and she went out of her way to help her feel better, ginger, apples, meds, all sorts of remedies lol. So it’s not too far fetched to call the genie 🤣

So exciting for trying Star. It is wonderful. And the lofts at the back of Anthem have fantastic views.

We are so psyched! This is our third attempt at our first RC cruise. We've gone from junior suite on Anthem to Aqua Theatre 1 bedroom on Oasis up to Anthem GLS in the process, lol. I keep saying, "well we're already in this much... and we have so many months to pay it off..." All out of Bayonne, though, to avoid having to fly as well. I will put something in my genie survey about having seasickness remedies ready to go. I read something about the spa doing motion sickness acupuncture, which sounds cool. 

Trying to predict or estimate motion conditions is like asking if it will be sunny on the cruise.  There is a lot of luck involved, sometimes good and sometimes bad luck.  Any ship can be impacted by ocean swell.  Waves and swell are very different and have a different impact to a ship.   Even the largest cruise ship in the world can have motion from swell if the conditions are right.

My step daughter has a hard time riding in the backseat of a car on the interstate sometimes but has yet to have any problems on any ship.  Be prepared, talk to your doctor, try some motion medicine before sailing so you can see how it impacts you (sleepy vs non-drowsy, etc).  Sometimes just being prepared can increase confidence and reduce worry or stress.

This just popped into my head...I know sometimes it's difficult to leave the bed when your stomach feels upside down, but what helps my wife (she is known to get sick day one as she adjusts) is to get to mid-ship & lower deck. One example was the Schooner Bar on Explorer, it was a great place for her to have a ginger ale and relax a bit and she started to feel better; mind you that was after being in bed for a few hours having taken the meds, ate toast, etc, etc.

24 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

This just popped into my head...I know sometimes it's difficult to leave the bed when your stomach feels upside down, but what helps my wife (she is known to get sick day one as she adjusts) is to get to mid-ship & lower deck. One example was the Schooner Bar on Explorer, it was a great place for her to have a ginger ale and relax a bit and she started to feel better; mind you that was after being in bed for a few hours having taken the meds, ate toast, etc, etc.

This is great advice - thank you so much!

9 hours ago, twangster said:

First part of this B2B was a 7 night to the Bahamas:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5068-anthem-112517-712-b2b

I love Anthem.  Sailed her four times, the last in January of this year.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5387-anthem-11918-9-night-bahamas/

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/17677-anthem-jan-5-2020-11-nights-southern-caribbean-recap/

I was supposed to sail her to Southampton in April but the pandemic happened.  I will sail her again, lots of good memories.  I turned Diamond and Pinnacle on her so she'll always have a special place in my heart.  

Thank you!!! I feel like I'm all set to go cruising after reading this!

8 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

I am so very happy for you being cancer free!  You keep that positive attitude! Things will go your way for sure.  You deserve it!! Such wonderful news for you!

Thank you!  I got official news I was cancer free two weeks before Christmas, it was the best Christmas gift ever. So far all my follow up tests are negative, and every time I celebrate with a glass of champagne 😉

8 hours ago, Jill said:

I can totally relate! My canceled May cruise was to celebrate 3 1/2 years NED from Stage 4b endometrial cancer. We rebooked for October to celebrate 4 years NED. If that gets canceled (which it most likely will), then we’ll look at next May to use our FCC’s. That’ll be 4 1/2 years NED. 

But by golly my October 2021 Odyssey Italy/Greece had better sail because I’m hoping and praying to be 5 years NED and officially into Remission. 

I was given a 15% chance of making it 5 years and we’ve been taking cruises to celebrate each milestone towards Remission. So bummed about no cruise(s). 

Congrats to you though! ❤️

You will definitely make it to five years ❤️

Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Anthem has plenty of indoor areas, so you can be out of the cold while up north.  We sailed Anthem Thanksgiving 2018 and it was fantastic.  We loved it so much we have her booked for Thanksgiving next year.  I will say we were one of the unlucky sailings that hit a storm on the way back.  You could hear metal clanking in the 270 lounge, there were  bags hung all around the ship to grab just in case, and the captain kept coming on saying "if you haven't taken anything yet and you don't feel good, this isn't going to get any better.  Take the meds!"  I had wrist bands on and it helped (I take no chances since getting sea sick while leaving NYC on Norwegian once in calm waters.  The poor waiter was trying so hard not to laugh at me "ma'am the seas are completely calm!"  But he was amazing and found me green apples, ginger ale, and crackers and wrapped it all up to take back to the room).

Be sure to keep an eye on the cruise planner and get iFly booked before getting on the ship.  My family didn't listen to me about booking in advance and were royally ticked off that they didn't get to do it.  Also, if you can, get a slot on the first sea day.  That way if they can't open due to rough seas, there MAY be a chance they can reschedule you for another sea day.  A lot of people didn't get to do it on our sailing because of the rough seas.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Anthem 2 yrs ago.  The ship has some amazing aspects, to me the best is the Solarium.  I would rank it as the best in the fleet. 

I also feel that due to the location, The Quest is the best because it is in the 270 and that allows more interaction than compared to other ships when they hold it in locations like Studio B.

The 70s party is fun and a must do on any ship.

Make sure you are on the pool deck for sail away because Anthem only clears the bottom of the Verazzano bridge by @ 30 feet.  You can hear the tires whiz over you.  When you get to the port you will also be able to see the tear drop memorial.  It is for 9/11 gifted from Russia.  It is truly a beautiful sculpture.  The captain may or may not sail around the Statue of Liberty, but you will be able to see it.

A hidden gem is the Dog house, they have hot dogs, brats, sausages, etc..  It is located in the back of the bumper cars area.  270 is where you get the famous Kummelwreck.

Of course there is the NorthStar and I Fly to try.  To me it is a 1x and done experience.  When we were on Anthem the NorthStar did not swing over the side of the ship.  Not sure if it does now.  It basically goes up like a hot air balloon ride.

I have done the Bahamas cruise out of Bayonne.  Anthem typically gets the covered parking lot which you will be happy for since it can snow in NJ that time of the yr.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, JonathanColton said:

What do you think of Anthem?

Didn't do that itinerary but loved Anthem and Cape Liberty. It was my first solo trip - I had no issue navigating Cape Liberty, everything was pretty easy to get around. (except the machines were down post cruise and there was a 2 hour wait outside (cold) until they were back up).

Anthem was a lovely ship with so many places to sit and relax.

@JonathanColton I forgot to add 3 more unique things about Anthem.

1. The WJ has outdoor seating.  It is so nice to sit out in the open air.  Just keep walking through the WJ and eventually you will get there.  Many people, including myself do not realize they have this option when going to the WJ.  Most will look for tables close to the food, thus, they miss this little hidden gem.  

2. Can't recall exactly where it is at in location from the WJ, but there is a lucite cut out in the floor.  It is not in the WJ, and if memory serves me, you turn left off the elevator.   It allows you to look down many decks.   Someone else can tell you exactly where it is located.

3. Loyal to Royal know the washy washy song, but for me RCL shows how much they believe in handwashing with their newer ships.  To enter the WJ on Anthem you are forced into a hand washing station and they have attendants watching you to make sure you did wash your hands.  From a covid issue it should make you feel safer for entering their buffet stations.

@SteveinSC

I will not lie, we had fun at the 70's party, BUT a lot comes down to the cruise director.  You need them to create the vibe.  I also think it has a lot to do with location, just like The Quest.

The Quest on Anthem is great because of the location.  It is not as good impo on a ship that has it in Studio B (ice rink) due to sitting up higher and further way from the audience.

Flip side I like the 70s party on ships where they do it on the Promenade. 

OBTW, you can always find that loyal to Royal guest because they dress up in 70s outfits or at least don't bat an eye when they see those guests dressed up.  

Pinging @Lovetocruise2002, IIRC she did that itinerary or the 9-night version in March on Anthem last year.

Can confirm everyone else's positive comments about Anthem. My wife and I love the outdoor seating all the way aft in the WJ that others have mentioned, and also love the CK on board (if you happen to have booked a JS or higher cabin). I've only sailed her in late fall rather than late winter / early spring; just be prepared for the first day and maybe the second to require long pants and long sleeves / cold-weather clothing.

Much of NJ is still on heavy restrictions, and companies located around here that thought they'd start sending employees back to the office in September have now moved that date to January. So I'd be very cautious about this sailing actually happening.