Jump to content

Suites: Oasis class vs. Quantum class confusion


Recommended Posts

We are booked in a 2 bedroom GS on Quantum of the Seas for August 2021 Alaska out of Seattle (category GT). Then, in December 2021 we are booked in a CLS on Oasis of the Seas (category L1) . According to the cabin selection page, the Oasis class has the Royal Suite Class, namely Sea, Sky (this is where the CLS falls), and Star classes. The Quantum class has Suites (RCCL not using the words "Royal Suite Class" on the cabin class selection page).

Notice that these are all Sky Class Suites below.

With the 2 bedroom GS on Quantum it says: 

Sky Class Exclusives* (not applicable for China & Hong Kong sailings)

  • Concierge Service
  • All Day Access to Suites-Only Coastal Kitchen
  • Specialty Bottled Water (upon arrival)
  • Complimentary VOOM - The Fastest Internet at Sea
  • Priority Boarding & Departure
  • Priority Reservations
  • And more

Then, to confuse the issue, for the Sky Loft Suite with Balcony on Quantum (category SL) it says:

Sky Class Exclusives* (not applicable for China & Hong Kong sailings)

  • Priority Boarding
  • Suite Lounge/Concierge Club Access
  • VOOM Surf+Stream – High Speed Internet for 1-device per person
  • Complimentary 24 Hour Room Service
  • Complimentary pressing on first formal night
  • Bridge, Galley, Backstage tours
  • VIP Pool Deck Seating
  • and more

And, finally, just to scramble your brain, the Sky Class info for Oasis: 

Sky Class Exclusives*

  • Concierge Service
  • All Day Access to Coastal Kitchen
  • Specialty Bottled Water (upon arrival)
  • Complimentary VOOM - The Fastest Internet at Sea
  • Priority Boarding and Departure
  • And more

So my questions are:

1) Does Quantum class actually have the Royal Suite Class?

2) Do the Royal Suite Classes actually have subclasses within them (like above)?

3) Or, is this a Royal lack of continuity (and there are no Royal Suite Class exclusives on the Quantum of the Seas)? In other words, go with the "And more" option?

@twangster, is this confusion the reason for your question to Mr. Bayley?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

1) Does Quantum class actually have the Royal Suite Class?

Quantum, up till now, does not have Royal Suite Class (Sea, Sky, Star) because she sailed out of China.  Sailings out of China do not have the Royal Suite Class program.  There has been a lot of talk (and no answers) as to whether that will change for Quantum she she arrives to sail Alaska.

4 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

2) Do the Royal Suite Classes actually have subclasses within them (like above)?

Not to my knowledge.  Except the sailings out China.  They have a different suite class system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quantum has Royal Suite Classes when sailing from Singapore but not when in China.  However they've done something weird with Star Class on her.  While using the normal Sea and Sky terminology and benefits, what would normally be Star Class gets very little benefits.  

In stripping Quantum of Star Class they simply removed any verbiage in her booking pages and replaced it with nothing.  So now, ironically, a Grand Loft Suite has very few suite type benefits.  No mention of Coastal Kitchen, no mention of Voom, etc.  Technically at the moment, a Grand Suite has full Sky Class benefits and this exceeds what the GLS comes with.  Heck, even a Junior Suite mentions dinner at Coastal kitchen so right now a JS has more suite benefits over a GLS.

This was discussed in another thread recently.

Consider a JS to Alaska on Quantum.  It lists Sea Class Suite benefits:

1086449366_QNJSAlaska.thumb.jpeg.464f31b9de10a52a61ea9c95c21fedfc.jpeg

Consider a GS on Quantum to Alaska with Sky Class Benefits:

1450932718_QNGSAlaska.thumb.jpeg.bea97cf0a86cd14f588780e9315302ba.jpeg

Now look at the GLS, at substantially higher prices, with some pretty plain suite benefits:

119215112_QNGLSAlaska.thumb.jpeg.741738d548c7cd0179dcb4fa0c136fe9.jpeg

You get priority check in and access to the Concierge Lounge.  No Coastal Kitchen, no Voom (luggage valet and pressing included).

So what gives?  It's not really clear what will happen with cabins that are Star Class on her sisters when in North America.  At the moment I would assume you will get what you see at a minimum but I think they will at least offer Sky Class Suite benefits for otherwise Star Class cabins but that is just me guessing with no basis for that assumption.  The fact that any mention of Star Class has been omitted is very telling and I'd be very careful assuming it will sail with Genies until they actually state that.

I think they have plans to use Quantum in Australia when Wonder and Spectrum are sailing China so they are laying the foundation for Quantum splitting Alaska and Australia as Ovation has done but that is another guess on my part.  Perhaps they have plans to eventually install Genies, or maybe they don't.

Some Ovation Star cabins were demoted last year to Sky Class so they may be making more changes to the suite program on all in this class.  Time will tell.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other Quantum class ships (Anthem, Ovation) have the Sea, Sky, Star classes. From what I have read, the Spectrum has only been in Asia and has completely different suite classes. I'm not sure I completely understand: clusters of rooms, dedicated elevators, silver or gold designation, etc. I suspect the Quantum could adapt  when sailing in North America.

Edited by Ogilthorpe
Twangster's explanation is better than mine, he posted while I was typing ?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ogilthorpe said:

The other Quantum class ships (Anthem, Ovation) have the Sea, Sky, Star classes. From what I have read, the Spectrum has only been in Asia and has completely different suite classes. I'm not sure I completely understand: clusters of rooms, dedicated elevators, silver or gold designation, etc. I suspect the Quantum could adapt  when sailing in North America.

Spectrum has Silver and Gold Suites.  On Spectrum there are areas locked down to suite guests only.  Imagine Anthem or Ovation with a glass door in a hall with a card reader.  No suite card, no entry to that part of the ship where suites are found.

Where the spa is on Anthem/Ovation is a suite area.  The Solarium is suite access only.  Very different from her sisters.  These sorts of things are very important to the culture of the region that Spectrum was designed for.  I don't expect Odyssey to be exactly like that but only time will tell.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DrNDo said:

According to our Royal Vacation planner who we book with directly through RCL, all of her paper work shows that the 2021 Quantum sailing in a Grand Loft Suite to Alaska will be Star Class with a Royal Genie. She has no good explanation for the discrepancies on the website.

Looking to book a Quantum Star Class to Alaska but cannot see it in writing anywhere that it will be a Star sailing.  Could you ask for a link or copy yo post.  I would like to have that information for when I book and then they come back and say no it is not applicable.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MLH said:

Looking to book a Quantum Star Class to Alaska but cannot see it in writing anywhere that it will be a Star sailing.  Could you ask for a link or copy yo post.  I would like to have that information for when I book and then they come back and say no it is not applicable.

 

 

It’ll be hard to find. I’ve seen travel agents in other groups have asked the question. 
BTW-if you are willing to go early in the season there’s a great price on a Grand Loft in May. Couldn’t convince the family to take a week off school so had to settle for July in a GS1. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MLH said:

Looking to book a Quantum Star Class to Alaska but cannot see it in writing anywhere that it will be a Star sailing.  Could you ask for a link or copy yo post.  I would like to have that information for when I book and then they come back and say no it is not applicable.

 

 

I would say "Yes" per the following entry from the Royal Suite Class FAQ site

Is Royal Suite Class available fleet wide?

Royal Suite Class is available on Symphony of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, Allure of the Seas®, Harmony of the Seas®, Anthem of the Seas®, Ovation of the Seas®, and Quantum of the Seas® (Singapore Departures Only).
Royal Suite Class is not available onboard ships sailing in China. However, our China itineraries offer a comparable luxury class known as the Royal Golden Suite program, available onboard Quantum of the Seas®, Spectrum of the Seas®, and Voyager of the Seas®.
Guests sailing on all other Royal Caribbean ships will still enjoy a myriad of special privileges and upgraded amenities for their cruise. Learn more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

I would say "Yes" per the following entry from the Royal Suite Class FAQ site

Is Royal Suite Class available fleet wide?

Royal Suite Class is available on Symphony of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, Allure of the Seas®, Harmony of the Seas®, Anthem of the Seas®, Ovation of the Seas®, and Quantum of the Seas® (Singapore Departures Only).
Royal Suite Class is not available onboard ships sailing in China. However, our China itineraries offer a comparable luxury class known as the Royal Golden Suite program, available onboard Quantum of the Seas®, Spectrum of the Seas®, and Voyager of the Seas®.
Guests sailing on all other Royal Caribbean ships will still enjoy a myriad of special privileges and upgraded amenities for their cruise. Learn more. 

The question is with regards to the Quantum our of Alaska, not Singapore or China.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

The question is with regards to the Quantum our of Alaska, not Singapore or China.

 

I'm reading more into the line that mentions: Royal Suite Class is not available onboard ships sailing in China.

I would think if Alaska or any other route was excluded it would have been mentioned.

 

Pulling up a sailing for Quantium that departs from Singapore still lists only the traditional suite perks once you hit the Star Class suites. All other suites do mention their respective Royal Suite Class levels with the China/Hong Kong disclaimer. Me thinks it is classic Royal inconsistent programing at play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

I'm reading more into the line that mentions: Royal Suite Class is not available onboard ships sailing in China.

I would think if Alaska or any other route was excluded it would have been mentioned.

 

Pulling up a sailing for Quantium that departs from Singapore still lists only the traditional suite perks once you hit the Star Class suites. All other suites do mention their respective Royal Suite Class levels with the China/Hong Kong disclaimer. Me thinks it is classic Royal inconsistent programing at play.

Your reply sounds reasonable. And I agree with, definitely inconsistent classic Royal!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MLH said:

I contacted Royal via facebook and twitter and their reply was, Yes, it is included.  Based on this, I will more than likely book and then make sure I have the screen shots to prove their "policy"

Just be sure that you know WHICH suites are going to be included.  As @twangster said, some of the previously included Star Class suites were "demoted" for Ovation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the moment Quantum isn't officially part of the Royal Suite Class program.

1515803660_RoyalSuiteClassScreen.jpeg.3816d6f1abe4d97b8020cdb64f5a621a.jpeg

Note the list of ships at the bottom doesn't include Quantum.  

I personally observed the concierge on Ovation receiving calls from guests upset when they arrived on the ship to discover they didn't have a beverage or dining package and there was no Genie.  They had booked a cabin a year prior that was Star Class only to board and discover their suite was now Sky Class.  Week after week she was dealing with the same upset suite guests.  I talked to her about the situation and she was very careful in the discussion but it was clear she deals with this over and over again.

So my advice remains be very careful making assumptions or taking the word of an agent on social media.  They've made inaccurate statements before and once standing on the ship showing a twitter screenshot will get you nowhere.

Hopefully over the next year they'll update the website and make it more clear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correcting my self yet again, see post below... Now data points for Quantum are a wild card outside of the conflicting FAQ entry and main Royal Suite Class page.

Adding this site for even more Royal doing what they do best: http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/ship/quantum-of-the-seas/accommodations/

Then you look at the brochure link at the bottom and once again Quantum is omitted.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I personally observed the concierge on Ovation receiving calls from guests upset when they arrived on the ship to discover they didn't have a beverage or dining package and there was no Genie.  They had booked a cabin a year prior that was Star Class only to board and discover their suite was now Sky Class.

Understandable if the had booked a Sky Loft. Have to remember the Sky Loft was moved to Sky Class during the May 2018 re-categorization. Prior to that Quantum class and Oasis class both had a Sky Loft category that we Star class. Guessing as a method to prevent future confusion do to names the changed the category name on Oasis class to Star Loft.

 

Just this year @Pajos had mentioned being booked Star Class for a sailing that would have been April 11, 2020 on Ovation

 

 

March 2019 @Bish posted a Star Class sailing on Ovation as well.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, twangster said:

So my advice remains be very careful making assumptions or taking the word of an agent on social media.  They've made inaccurate statements before and once standing on the ship showing a twitter screenshot will get you nowhere.

Hopefully over the next year they'll update the website and make it more clear. 

I’ve spoken directly to a Royal Caribbean Vacation planner, and she keeps assuring me that the GLS on the Quantum sailing to Alaska 2021 will be Star Class with a Royal Genie. She seems pretty confident. I always book star class sailings directly through her because she seems to be able to do things that ordinary travel agents can not. If I can’t trust what a RCL employee is telling me directly over the phone then can’t trust anything technically. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MLH said:

I received an email from corporate apologizing for the confusion on the website and stating that STAR Class is available on Quantum except Beijing. 

Which, I think (but ya never know with Royal) means that they have the Royal Suite Class on Quantum (and not just exclusively STAR and SKY). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...