Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SpeedNoodles

In-room speakers/announcements?

Recommended Posts

I feel like I remember the speakers in the room working so that you could turn them up and hear announcements in your room. Granted, this was 15+ years ago. On my last 3 cruises the dial was still there, but it did nothing. In order to hear any announcements I had to open up the stateroom door and crane my neck into the hallway. It would have especially been nice in Alaska. When did they stop having the option of hearing it in the rooms? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall a few years ago the cruise line decided to restrict in-cabin announcements to important ones, instead of bingo reminders or weather reports. The idea is to be less disruptive in the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Varies by ship.  Once in a while on an older ship the knob in cabin actually works!

It varies thought because some announcements are broadcast on all speakers even if know if the knob is turned off.  Emergency announcements fall in this category. This includes "the muster drill starts in 15 minutes".

Often cruise director or activity manager announcements are not sent to the cabins, even if the knob (when present) is turned up.

People complained...  "I'm on vacation", "I'm napping in my cabin", etc.  So unless it's an emergency expect to crack open that door to hear them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it really annoying not to be able to hear announcements from the room. First world problems but in a 2 bedroom GS by the time I realised there was an announcement and made it from the en suite bathroom all the way around to the door to hear the announcement, I would have already missed a decent chunk of it. It was most frustrating when it related to announcements like whether tendering was starting, whether we could disembark at a port etc.  Big difference between “we are docked and anticipate you can deboard in 30 mins” vs “you can get off the boat right now”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Matt said:

I recall a few years ago the cruise line decided to restrict in-cabin announcements to important ones, instead of bingo reminders or weather reports. The idea is to be less disruptive in the room.

Thank god. I remember my first cruise back in 2012, there were announcements in our room and I about lost my cool after just a day. Let my room be my sanctuary, please! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, berkeleykel said:

I found it really annoying not to be able to hear announcements from the room. First world problems but in a 2 bedroom GS by the time I realised there was an announcement and made it from the en suite bathroom all the way around to the door to hear the announcement, I would have already missed a decent chunk of it. It was most frustrating when it related to announcements like whether tendering was starting, whether we could disembark at a port etc.  Big difference between “we are docked and anticipate you can deboard in 30 mins” vs “you can get off the boat right now”. 

Ask a cruise director and they will tell you some guests would threaten to bite their heads off for making an announcement into cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

Ask a cruise director and they will tell you some guests would threaten to bite their heads off for making an announcement into cabins.

That is why Royal should invest on hardware that will make these in-cabin announcements customizable for guests.  A volume control knob (that works) or a dedicated channel on the stateroom TV that overrides audio with the announcement (sort of like the emergency broadcast on local TVs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I feel like I remember the speakers in the room working so that you could turn them up and hear announcements in your room. Granted, this was 15+ years ago. On my last 3 cruises the dial was still there, but it did nothing. In order to hear any announcements I had to open up the stateroom door and crane my neck into the hallway. It would have especially been nice in Alaska. When did they stop having the option of hearing it in the rooms? 

Agree on the Alaska part! When the naturalist was speaking, we ended up turning our TV WAAAAY up and watched Hubbard from our balcony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

That is why Royal should invest on hardware that will make these in-cabin announcements customizable for guests.  A volume control knob (that works) or a dedicated channel on the stateroom TV that overrides audio with the announcement (sort of like the emergency broadcast on local TVs).

Agreed - I'd definitely like the option. As in "I hear something in the hallway, let me turn this speaker up!". Nothing like having to open your cabin door and stick your head out when you just got out of a shower and are wrapped in a towel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

That is why Royal should invest on hardware that will make these in-cabin announcements customizable for guests.  A volume control knob (that works) or a dedicated channel on the stateroom TV that overrides audio with the announcement (sort of like the emergency broadcast on local TVs).

Or send each announcement to all staterooms on the in room telephone voice mail systems.  This likely could easily be implemented on all ships quickly (IF anyone from RC is reading this.)  To add to this, could also add it to the phone app for people to listen to them in a quiet place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...