Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Antigua has always been known primarly for diving, so it doesn't surprise me that Royal wan't to build something like CocoCay to offer it's product there.  My take on it is that it will require more stops there than what they have offered in the past. Win Win for us as that means longer sailing possibly which is what we like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Antigua for,some reason is one of my least favorites, on our last cruise their last year we had a survey asking if we felt safe their, I am surprised they are investing in Antigua, I,was thinking a few cruise lines had stopped going there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Antigua is a former British colony and like many colonies is rich in history.  
 

I often dislike bus tours but I did one on Antigua the last time I visited by ship.  The benefit of guided tours is that you learn so much about the culture and history of the area.  Did you know it is the base of the Eastern Caribbean currency? 
 

Antigua is said to have a beach for every day of the year but we know that isn’t quite true. Yet there are many beaches to explore. 
 

Not long ago we learned Antigua would be made Oasis capable so adding a private destination makes a lot of sense.  I don’t believe every Royal private destination will be a copy of Perfect Day.  I think each will be unique.  
 

Personally I think it’s a great idea.   Many Caribbean nations have no money to create anything of the sort.  They depend on tourism but in this day and age it’s very hard to find investors for multi million dollar improvements. This represents an investment in the local economy that benefits not only cruisers but provides a financial infusion to the local economy and longer term employment opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, twangster said:

Antigua is a former British colony and like many colonies is rich in history.  
 

I often dislike bus tours but I did one on Antigua the last time I visited by ship.  The benefit of guided tours is that you learn so much about the culture and history of the area.  Did you know it is the base of the Eastern Caribbean currency? 
 

Antigua is said to have a beach for every day of the year but we know that isn’t quite true. Yet there are many beaches to explore. 
 

Not long ago we learned Antigua would be made Oasis capable so adding a private destination makes a lot of sense.  I don’t believe every Royal private destination will be a copy of Perfect Day.  I think each will be unique.  
 

Personally I think it’s a great idea.   Many Caribbean nations have no money to create anything of the sort.  They depend on tourism but in this day and age it’s very hard to find investors for multi million dollar improvements. This represents an investment in the local economy that benefits not only cruisers but provides a financial infusion to the local economy and longer term employment opportunities.

Never been to Antigua, but looking forward to visiting in the future. Tourism really helps with bringing money in for infrastructure improvements that help w/ everyday living and bringing jobs to the communities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Srp431 said:

Never been to Antigua, but looking forward to visiting in the future. Tourism really helps with bringing money in for infrastructure improvements that help w/ everyday living and bringing jobs to the communities.

It do help some; but unfortunately, no where near what many may think. These destinations collect obviously the port fees; however, a huge percentage of cruiser either stay on the ship when docked at many of these locations or spin little when off the ship...so very little commerce is actually exchanged. Not saying absolutely none; but, not enough to justify timely investment in infrastructure, over a normal or reasonable period of time in some of these depressed area, without most outside business investments. Which is why the cruise industry as a whole are getting agreements from governments of the areas, for lease or in some cases, purchase, of these lands, secure it behind confined areas as private beach clubs and/or resorts, to ensure a more pleasant environment & itinerary for it customers, while reaping an overwhelming percentage of monetary benefits.

It's a dicey proposition, because cruise lines are obvious in the business to make money; but, they have a responsibility to its patrons. Governments in these area know how the cruise industry monopolize these areas; but, they are in major need to bring in some revenue; so, they allow themselves to be taken advantage of. It just good business sense on behalf of the industry(and they're not the only ones), at the expense of the locals. These area don't have the capital to build a burgeoning western style infrastructure & resort that cruiseline can just port & a huge percentage of tourists feel safe & comfortable to splurge financially in these areas, where the locals could truly benefit much more than what they do now. The model is just not there....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 9:36 PM, twangster said:

Personally I think it’s a great idea.   Many Caribbean nations have no money to create anything of the sort.  They depend on tourism but in this day and age it’s very hard to find investors for multi million dollar improvements. This represents an investment in the local economy that benefits not only cruisers but provides a financial infusion to the local economy and longer term employment opportunities.

I fear that people will just stay within the compound, and not venture out to the island and contribute to the island's economy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bcarney said:

I fear that people will just stay within the compound, and not venture out to the island and contribute to the island's economy.  

Labadee and CocoCay employees over 400 locals at each location.  I have to imagine any private destination is going to represent a pretty significant employment opportunity as well as the secondary or spin off jobs delivering supplies, driving buses with guests, etc.  

Any company that employees hundreds in any Caribbean nation represents a pretty significant opportunity for locals.  There aren't a lot of companies that have hundreds of employees in your typical Caribbean country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I misunderstood but from the limited details in the press release this sounded different than private destination like Perfect Day or Labadee. 

It sounds to me like the ships will still dock at the port but this Royal owned beach will be an option for guests. There will be less "lock-in" of guests than at a real private island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bcarney said:

I fear that people will just stay within the compound, and not venture out to the island and contribute to the island's economy.  

People already do that. I am shocked how many people refuse to even get off the ship on a given cruise, let alone venture into the sanitized port area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent a week at an all-inclusive resort on Antigua this spring. We felt safe and found several tours to get a better feel for the local culture and history. WE wandered freely in the towns and some tourist areas. Being a history buff, Nelson's dockyard was a great stop for me.

The people and the place are very nice. I don't agree with some of their methods of raising capital, but I guess they do what they must. I am referring to Investment Citizenship. A person invests (Pays) a large sum and the government awards them Antiguan citizenship. This screams of opportunity for abuse.

I like Antigua. We'll go back.

20190804_142643.jpg

20190807_110144.jpg

20190808_183258.jpg

20190809_131822.jpg

20190809_140629.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2019 at 4:44 PM, twangster said:

Labadee and CocoCay employees over 400 locals at each location.  I have to imagine any private destination is going to represent a pretty significant employment opportunity as well as the secondary or spin off jobs delivering supplies, driving buses with guests, etc.  

Any company that employees hundreds in any Caribbean nation represents a pretty significant opportunity for locals.  There aren't a lot of companies that have hundreds of employees in your typical Caribbean country.

Gotta agree on this.   The jobs created to service the newly created area alone will be helpful to the economy.  Even if people don't venture beyond the new area, food, drinks, local crafts and other stuff will be available and purchased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been, but am looking forward to the possibility!  At first I was not a fan of what was happening at Coco Cay......then we went and had an absolute AMAZING time and can not wait to go back.  That being said, if they open up a second island, I can assure you that I will be there.  I can not wait to see what they are planning and what they will have!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...