Lovetocruise2002

Canada/NE excursions...Need Help

Sydney is expanding their port to be able to handle more ships..no idea if it will be done by July or not....same for Charlottetown.....expanding but not sure when it will be completed.

Saint John (St. John's is in another province)  doesn't  have tendering that I am aware of and can handle multiple large ships....much bigger than Adventure so should be fine there.

14 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Sydney is expanding their port to be able to handle more ships..no idea if it will be done by July or not

Well, since my sailing is in August 2020 and we're already flagged as tendered, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess... not. 😁

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Well, since my sailing is in August 2020 and we're already flagged as tendered, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess... not. 😁

Oh yeah..and the OP isn't even going there...guess I should follow the thread more closely.....:6_smile:

We took the NE Adventure cruise 2 months ago.  

We did the Land and Sea tour in Bar Harbor.  We all enjoyed it (2Adults, 1 15 year old, 1 13 year old).  After walking through the village and hearing about the history of some of the buildings, we boarded a 5 mast sailboat and took a ride on the sea edge of the Acadia.  We had a park ranger on board with us and he was a wealth of information.  It was a very enjoyable afternoon.  I wish we had more time in Bar Harbor as I would have loved to also take Ollie's Trolley into the park, and walk across the sand bar.  Another time, I guess.  

In Saint John, we just took a walk.  I didn't feel there was much to see, but they have a lovely walking path that is paved with a few benches scattered throughout it and some cool sculptures to look at too.

In Halifax, we walked to the Maritime museum.  It was a nice museum and we were also able to watch 2 movies in their dome theater.  Our original plan was to then walk to the citadel, but we were tired and hungry so we just went back to the ship.

We didn't stop at Boston on our cruise, but I have taken a week vacation there.  And we still didn't see everything in a week.  I think the highlights of the week were the whale watching tour (put on by the aquarium) and the Lexington trolley tour.  But really, everything we did and saw was fantastic!  We had a Go City card for the week so we were able to keep costs down.  I think if I had to choose 1 thing it would be a whale watching tour.  We saw 23 whales the day we were out.

No comment on Portland.  I've never been there.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Oh yeah..and the OP isn't even going there...guess I should follow the thread more closely.....:6_smile:

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Yeah, I semi-hijacked it there. But it was good information to know!

He TOTALLY hijacked my thread.  Get your own Iceland thread.  😂

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Was this the one through Royal?  Or did you do private?

We did the one through Royal.  It was comparably priced to private and we didn't have to do any work.  And I also figured since we took the afternoon excursion and it was cutting it close to all on board time, I didn't want to take any risks.

Boston, I have been there twice with my son, once as a port form Anthem and the other on an overnight 6th grade school field trip. 

The port day was better. We went to see the USS Constitution https://www.nps.gov/bost/learn/historyculture/ussconst.htm Caleb loves this type of historic thing. It was an adventure in public transportation. We took a taxi there, arrived at opening, went to the museum and into the ships at the site. It's on the OTHER side of town..  We water taxi'd back to the Boston Aquarium area, met an old friend who lives in Boston, and went to the children's museum with her 3 year old. It was a good day; August, not to hot, not too cold. 

On the school field trip, on our own we went to the Aquarium, had lunch at the Boston Sail Loft (it was very good), walked the Freedom Trail, toured Paul Revere's house, went to Quincy Market, then ate as a group at the Hard Rock Cafe. Day 2, we went as a group to the Museum of Science, ate lunch there (awful lunch.. neat museum), then went on a Duck Boat Tour https://bostonducktours.com/  It was a very different perspective of Boston! 

Halifax: We opted to take a taxi ($5.00 CAD) up to the Citadel, toured that, then wandered downhill to the Boardwalk, and went to Tim Horton's!! (It's better in Canada than the US), enjoyed a snack of coffee and donuts and cocoa ( AND free WIFI ), then wandered back to the ship along the boardwalk. We stopped at the Maritime Museum (more historic boats for Caleb).. 

St. John: We left the boys in Adventure Ocean.... My husband and I walked from the pier to the left, along the waterfront all the way to the reversing rapids and back. It was concrete or pavement the entire way. It was a nice walk, and we watched harbor seals, which I hear is an uncommon sight (we were lucky). 

Ahh.. Bar Harbor.  Acadia National Park is NOT flat. We rented bikes from Acadia Bike Rentals. We took the bike shuttle into the park, then proceeded to ride around a lake. Eagle Lake?  (not sure)My youngest's bike would not shift gears for him, I had to fiddle with it to get it into the lowest gear, and we left it in that gear. So I have a lovely family photo of the 4 of us BEFORE the bike ride. But not one AFTER. There were tears. There was frustration. We walked. fter all this, I would love to do it again, with my own bike and breakdown gear. Alone.

Then we received a full refund for Josh's bike rental. MORAL: if you ever rent a bike, put it on the stand in the shop, and try all gears and the brakes. We ate at the gloriously fun tourist trap Route 66 Restaurant, then entire family was back into happy cruising mode. 

Portland: We just walked around the port and shopped. It seems there is a port on each trip where we are wiped out and need a day "off". Portland is a port town, I do want to give it a second chance. Perhaps whale watching?

Have a great New England trip. It is by far, my favorite cruise ever. We went in late August, the temperatures were mild, the seas calm. That is remarkable out of Bayonne. 

Must sees from our 2017 trip.

Bar Harbor- Acadia National Park.

Halifax- Peggy's Cove and Titanic cemetery.

St John- Reversing Rapids. Make sure it's during high or low tides.

Portland- Great walk around town with must stops to eat at Standard Baking Co, Gorgeous Gelato, Holy Donuts, Eventide Oyster Co and Duckfat.

Happy Cruising!

29 minutes ago, FManke said:

Portland- Great walk around town with must stops to eat at Standard Baking Co, Gorgeous Gelato, Holy Donuts, Eventide Oyster Co and Duckfat.

Glad you mentioned that!  That was going to be my next question...the "must try" places to eat.  So far I have Holy Donuts (Portland), The Barking Crab (Boston), Mike's or Modern Pastry (Boston).

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

New question...

Hopewell Rocks or St. Martin/Reversing Falls? 

Tagging @monctonguy or anyone else who has input.

Hopewell Rocks is pretty amazing...highest tides in the world?!...BUT, to really appreciate it you need to be there for a low and high tide.....so depending on your schedule not sure if that's possible. AND it would be over a 2hr drive each way.......

Reversing Falls would be the closest and wouldn't take more than a couple hrs to check out the skywalk and enjoy a ride in the water.

St. martin would be my recommendation... give you a good taste of the east coast scenery as well as some tides and rocks and beaches.....I would prob recommend that based on schedule!