Whizbank

Navigator of the seas June 10-14. 50th birthday+traveling with mobility impaired person

Loved your blog... You included so much detail and info.  Thank you for taking the time.

I just finished up my majesty cruise and vacation.  It is truly amazing how much stuff the rooms can fit!!!!  I definitely need to work on my overpacking though lol!!!    Jane

Epic fail update. My TA contacted special needs at sea for me. They said the o2 tubing should have been in a bag with the concentrator. They also said I should have gone to guest services by 2pm and they would have had the SNAS representative fix any problems.  Since I didn't notice a problem until that night didn't really work for me.  Plus, I didn't know that I could have done that. I suggested they give a better explanation letter so you would know to do that. Now I know for next time, as does everyone who reads the blog. 

@Whizbank I’m so glad you enjoyed your cruise!! I totally agree with longer sailings when you have to fly, it’s a lot of work for just a couple of days and we are only a family of 3 traveling (9 year old) so I can only begin to imagine how tired the two of you must have been! Navigator was my first ship back in 2004 and Viking Crown was one of my favorite spots for the exact reasons you mentioned!! Thanks again for the write up, I really enjoyed your recaps even though I didn’t catch it live. You both sound like amazing people and I wish more people in this world shared your same positive outlook. Happy belated birthday also!! 😀

So, in conclusion (maybe), I decided that I do like cruising and that it does work well for my husband. However, I hate airports and being tied to a schedule, since Dave often has bad days that result in things taking significantly longer than usual. So, I will cruise again, but out of Baltimore so that I can drive to the port. That's about 8 hrs from Cincinnati which is doable, especially since we need to be in town the day before the cruise anyway. And I will definitely do a longer sailing. That said, I doubt I can get on a ship before next May at the earliest, between work and taxes and rebuilding the vacation fund. So, I'll keep lurking around here but won't have anything exciting to add. 

And the 50th birthday cruise was for all 4 of us, but only 3 of us actually hit 50 before the cruise. I still have until September until I hit the big 50. 

Also, as an FYI, I don't remember if I said that I had applied for a Royal Caribbean credit card while it was being pushed in Cruise Planner. There were 10,000 points with 1 purchase, which translates to $100 OBC. Alas, I did not read the fine print, (which I think actually doesn't show up until you are all the way through the transaction) which said that I wouldn't get my points until about 6 weeks after purchase, and I paid for the cruise planner items about 3 weeks before sailing. So, I have the points but did not get to take advantage of them on this sailing. They are good for 24 months so it's not tragic, but having the extra $100 OBC would have been nice.

@KristenM thanks for your kind words. 

14 hours ago, Whizbank said:

So, I will cruise again, but out of Baltimore so that I can drive to the port. That's about 8 hrs from Cincinnati which is doable, especially since we need to be in town the day before the cruise anyway.

Would Cape Liberty port in NJ also be an option for you? My family and I live about 40 minutes from there, and we drove to southern Ohio at a leisurely pace in about the same time. It would increase your ship options from just Grandeur to Grandeur, Adventure, and Anthem, as well as expand your itinerary options. I know a lot of folks here love "Lady G", but figured I'd throw out the extra option if it works with your desired travel time in the car.

22 hours ago, Whizbank said:

@JLMoran thank you for the suggestion. Google says that's about 10 hrs away so it might be an option and I wouldn't have thought of it. When I'm ready to cruise I'll definitely check them both out. 

I would definitely pick New Jersey over Baltimore.. The ship that sails out of Baltimore is old and New Jersey has better options.. In the winter they often even have 10-12 night sailings you can do so you could really be on the ship for awhile.. Just my thoughts.. Whatever you decide happy cruising. 

22 hours ago, Whizbank said:

@JLMoran thank you for the suggestion. Google says that's about 10 hrs away so it might be an option and I wouldn't have thought of it. When I'm ready to cruise I'll definitely check them both out. 

... and a newly refurbished (aka Amped) Oasis will be in Cape Liberty/NJ for most of 2020 from May through November (temporarily replacing Anthem)!

We so badly want to cruise through NY harbor and sail under the Verrazano Bridge on Oasis!

On 6/25/2019 at 9:25 PM, JohnK6404 said:

... and a newly refurbished (aka Amped) Oasis will be in Cape Liberty/NJ for most of 2020 from May through November (temporarily replacing Anthem)!

We so badly want to cruise through NY harbor and sail under the Verrazano Bridge on Oasis!

YOLO BOOK IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY9T3Mp0-0o

2 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Oasis will be very interesting! 😱

Yup, I really wanted to sail her from Cape Liberty next year (we loved Oasis class last month just like you guys did) but the 12 night Adventure repo from Ft Lauderdale to Cape Liberty was a total of only $150 per person more than Oasis for 7 nights and doing the southern Caribbean (ABCs, St Thomas and Antigua). Could not pass that up. But I have Oasis on my mind a LOT.

@Whizbank, sorry for the thread hijack, but since you are already back, hopefully you are not offended.