What to carry on shore?

First time cruiser here... when going on shore and hanging out at beaches, what do you take with you and how do you keep your items safe?  We will be stopping at Cozumel and Georgetown.

For example, do we need to take our passports and birth certificates off the ship with us?  

Does anyone have recommendations for an accessory that is waterproof for money, credit cards, etc.?  Are are there lockers to rent at some of the beaches?  

Any tips and insights are appreciated!

Welcome to the message boards @disneyfan67

I always take with me

• Passport
  • One Credit Card
  • (some) Cash
  • Towels (unless shore excursion mentions they provide it)
  • Sunscreen
  • Sunglasses
  • Snacks for kids to avoid "I'm hungry" 10 minutes into the bus/taxi ride
  • SeaPass Card
3 minutes ago, disneyfan67 said:

Does anyone have recommendations for an accessory that is waterproof for money, credit cards, etc.?  Are are there lockers to rent at some of the beaches?

There are travel wallets and other accessories that exist, but we simply take a small backpack/beach bag and place our valuables in there and keep it out of sight (such as putting a towel over them or under a chair, etc).  Some beaches or places do offer lockers, but obviously that will depend on where you are going.

3 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

Can you take food off the ship? I was thinking of grabbing a sandwich or two just before going to Atlantis, so i don't have to sell off one of my twin girls to pay for lunch.

From what I understand you can't bring fresh food off with you, but you could bring things like prepackaged granola bars, little cereal boxes, or prepackaged crackers. I know fresh fruit is 100% a no go. The sandwiches would likely be flagged, though others with more experience will likely weigh in with their thoughts. 

29 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

Can you take food off the ship? I was thinking of grabbing a sandwich or two just before going to Atlantis, so i don't have to sell off one of my twin girls to pay for lunch.

23 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

From what I understand you can't bring fresh food off with you, but you could bring things like prepackaged granola bars, little cereal boxes, or prepackaged crackers. I know fresh fruit is 100% a no go. The sandwiches would likely be flagged, though others with more experience will likely weigh in with their thoughts. 

My experience has been same as @spiralqueen. In some ports, like Cozumel, they have dogs looking for food being brought off the ship.

4 hours ago, disneyfan67 said:

Take different sized zip lock bags with you to put anything that can't get wet, and then do as Matt says, put everything in a backpack. I have an older draw string back pack I got at Ron Jon's years ago that is my go to bag, mainly because I don't care if it gets dirty or wet.

Agree with everything that @Matt recommends, the only thing I saw that he left off was bottles of water, my wife and I each have an insulated thermos type of bottle that we carry with us. There is usually a Royal person at the gang way selling bottles of water if you don't remember before hand. If you have the Refreshment package or the deluxe drink package you can get 2 bottles of water at any bar that are included. We do this every time we walk past a bar and stock up in the room for later.

Also a hat is recommended.

If you plan on getting wet and carrying the cash and passport, as well as your smart phone then I would HIGHLY recommend a small travel safe that you can secure to something as well.  That way you both can get in the water and play and not have to worry about your valuables walking away while you are in the water.  Check Amazon for the various types, they are not sturdy enough to deter a criminal that comes very prepared but are enough to deter most petty theft.  In order to open them or get them free it will draw far too much attention, we secure ours to a tree or chair and cover it up so it is not noticeable.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Master-Lock-5900D-Personal-Gunmetal/dp/B005K6JQXQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=travel+safe&qid=1551917808&s=gateway&sr=8-5