New to cruising

deany

Evening

I go on my first cruise in June and want to know what the score is.  What is good or bad on Oasis of the seas?

Deluxe drinks package has been bought and i wondered if there is anywhere i cannot use this.  (is the champagne bar included?)

Excursions - is it better booking through RC or someone like Viator?  Also anyone been Rome.  I have been told its easy just to get a hop on hop off bus and sort it out myself.

Thanks

WOW ! Congratulations, deany...and welcome to the Boards !

You have picked an EXCELLENT ship to cruise on for the first time.  You will be blown away.

There are so many things to do on Oasis (I will be on Oasis in December).  Flowrider, zip line, carousel, shows, aqua theater, 5 swimming pools, tons of hot tubs...too much to do and see in 1 week !  There are no water slides on Oasis yet but we expect that they will be added during her dry dock in the fall.  Even without those, it is an amazing ship.  The sheer size !!  I hope you will let us know what you think, once you get there.

@deany welcome and congratulations!   First cruise is a biggie!  Lots of excitement and lots to prepare for.  many of us have our RC bookings switched over to the blog partner MEI-Travel,   i along with many others highly recommend @michelle       Gives us the more personal touch and never has me worried about any price changes that may save me money or timelines and such.    I'm happy to leave it all in her hands.

I have sailed out of Rome.  Actually, the port is Civitavecchia which is over an hour from Rome.  There is a train you can take.  The company is called Trenitalia. https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-times/civitavecchia-to-roma-termini

I actually took a tour with a company called Rome Cabs.   http://www.romecabs.com/tours/rome-in-a-day-from-civitavecchia/

6 hours ago, deany said:

Evening

I go on my first cruise in June and want to know what the score is.  What is good or bad on Oasis of the seas?

Deluxe drinks package has been bought and i wondered if there is anywhere i cannot use this.  (is the champagne bar included?)

Excursions - is it better booking through RC or someone like Viator?  Also anyone been Rome.  I have been told its easy just to get a hop on hop off bus and sort it out myself.

Thanks

Welcome to the Boards and Blog - Rome is great - but quite a distance from the port - you can take a bus from the ship into Rome and then there are many free things to see - I highly recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus in any new city you go to - if for nothing else to use for transportation around big cities.  I really like www.shoertrips.com for shore tours as an alternate to the ship tours.  But also in Italy I like www.walksofitaly.com

Well, first of all, welcome to cruising!  

Here's my tips for what they're worth.

1.  Have an embarkation day packet to hold your travel documents and paperwork.  Organization is key!

2.  You do not need to pack everything and the kitchen sink.  The ships have laundry services available and its rather reasonable, or make a plan to get a shirt that you didnt pack in port or onboard the ship.  Part souvenir part usable clothing!

3.  Remember to roll with the punches on a cruise.  Everything may be absolutely perfect and a dream, but if they arent absolutely perfect, you can still have an amazing time as long as you're flexible with your fun.  

4.  Along those notes, plan for downtime.  If you pack your day full of scheduled everything you will get very tired very quickly.  Plan to return to your room, or the pool deck, or a lounge just to chill and enjoy your surroundings, you're on vacation!  

5.  Sea hair is a thing.  Bring hair ties for long hair, hat tether for those who like wearing ball caps.  My embarkation day hairdo is usually a french braid to avoid embarkation day hair + sea hair.  But the good news is everyone has sea hair and will not be judging your sea hair. 

6.  Consider stepping out of your comfort zone in terms of socialization.  If you're a bit shy, try engaging just a little bit.  You'll be amazed what a cruise can do for your confidence!

7.  The last days of the cruise are the best days to buy in the shops onboard, BUT be aware the selection by then will be the worst.  So if you see a must have, you may want to buy it sooner rather than later.  Save the impulse buys for the last days.  Remember to budget for those impulse buys.  They will happen.  So just budget what you're comfortable with for "anything" purchases

8.  My strategy for shore excursions is book through Royal for those ports where you're not there overnight.  For the ports you are in port overnight, consider broadening your horizons and exploring on your own, or arranging a tour through a local tour company.  You can save money.  Usually the beach tours can cost upwards of 80 dollars for a shuttle to the beach through Royal, but the beach is only a 10 dollar cab ride away.  

9.  Watch cruise tips videos from Matt on youtube as well as whoever you feel represents your travel style (active, chill, exotic, family, etc) and look at their tips and see if their tips apply to you and your cruise style.  

10.  Ask questions and ask often.  You can never ask too many questions, and there are no stupid questions other than the question that isnt asked.