Ultimate Beverage Package Question

ChunkyMonkey

1st time cruiser, Oasis,  April 7 to celebrate my 25th Anniversary.   We are going with friends who have cruised out of Galveston and said alcohol is charged on day 1 at the regular rate, and the benefits kick in on day 2, only soda/tea/coffee is covered on day 1.    I have read you can begin to use your package as soon as you get on board,  so, is it available on Day 2, or as soon as you board?   Is it only a Texas thing? Do you have to wait until you are in International Waters?

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, newcruiser2018 said:

only soda/tea/coffee is covered on day 1

That's not true. There are only a few bars open while in Galveston, due to local liquor laws, but you can absolutely get alcoholic beverages on day one.

And yes, that's a Texas thing.

The UBP is good on Day 1.  While in Texas and until you reach international waters, there is limited variety and not the full bar.  Texas has an additional liquor tax and RC only will pay that tax on certain bottles as opposed to their full bar.  For example, you could get a margarita but it may not be made with your choice of tequila.  I could be wrong as it has been several years since we were on Liberty but I don't remember RC passing any additional charge to us.

If you purchase duty free liquor on the ship or in port to bring home, you will be subject to pay the additional Texas tax (I think round $3 a bottle). To me that is more of a hassle as there is an additional line after customs if you do bring liquor in.

Welcome to the message boards!

I suspect your friends have sailed Carnival out of Galveston.  Carnival sells their alcohol package, called Cheers!, starting on day 2 out of Texas and New York.  On day 1 all drinks on Carnival cruises leaving from these two states are paid by the drink (including soda, water, etc).  This is from the Carnival website:

"Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign card in the usual manner. "

Royal always starts their drink packages on boarding day.  On Royal the drink package starts the very moment you step on board (no need to wait until you are in international waters).

3 minutes ago, newcruiser2018 said:

Thank you all so much!  I'm really excited to FINALLY going on a cruise! 

You are going to love it! Just be prepared, you may find yourself in that NextCruise office booking another one before you realize what's happening. This vacation style is addictive! ?

46 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

You are going to love it! Just be prepared, you may find yourself in that NextCruise office booking another one before you realize what's happening. This vacation style is addictive! ?

But in a good way :12_slight_smile:...  There are a lot of choices: cruise line, ship, itinerary, cabin type, excursions, entertainment, dining, drinking, lounging and more.  There aren't a lot of set rules and you may find something you'd do differently next time, though there are almost no bad choices.  Welcome to the club!  With experience comes wisdom.  Read the boards here, quite a few questions have been answered or at least debated even before you ask ("Is the drink/dining package worthwhile?,  "What does cabin # XXX on ship YYY look like?" are frequently asked)  and welcome to the waves.  Cruising is a lot like life in general but with a cheat sheet to assist. 

Friends gave me a nudge 9 years ago toward attending the production shows, which I thought I wouldn't like.  "You can bring your camera" (no flash, no video) were the magic words.  And 7 years later I'm a stage photographer. 

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Coming to us soon....@twangster vs. @4ensic photography showdown...October 2018 Symphony TA! ?

An exhibition?  I was charged with that once. ("Convicted?  No, never convicted" - Bill Murray, Stripes). :9_innocent:

8 hours ago, 4ensic said:

Friends gave me a nudge 9 years ago toward attending the production shows, which I thought I wouldn't like.  "You can bring your camera" (no flash, no video) were the magic words.  And 7 years later I'm a stage photographer. 

Just be aware that a number of ship are now prohibiting photography during entertainment.  My second experience with this was on Liberty.  It flat out states no photography of any kind.  You'll see people lifting a phone to take pictures but if you respect their verbiage, no photos (or video).  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Just be aware that a number of ship are now prohibiting photography during entertainment.  My second experience with this was on Liberty.  It flat out states no photography of any kind.  You'll see people lifting a phone to take pictures but if you respect their verbiage, no photos (or video).  

Have they changed the pre-show PA announcement? Fourever had that caveat in Cruise Compass for their show on the Navigator.  I talked with the stage manager before the show since the notice was different than all the prior shows, she said there was nothing different from the usual policies.  Even the baritone from the group literally gave a thumbs up.

But if they want to change policy, it's their ship.

On 9/7/2018 at 4:07 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Twangbot is right.  No photography of any kind for the shows here on Lib.  They do state that in the pre show announcements 

Wow, haven't been on the Liberty and would have made a big mistake cruising with that limitation.  Thanks @twangster and @WAAAYTOOO .