twangster

Recap: Grandeur 9 Night Bermuda & Bahamas August 2017

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Grandeur-53.jpg.a935fdd09f6fceae6775dd20aa94ce6c.jpg

This photo is absolutely stunning! Please tell me you printed this and have it hung up on a wall in your home somewhere, it is truly frame-worthy.

Even as "just a recap", this was a great blog, @twangster. Thanks for sharing it! Between you and @coneyraven, I'm definitely getting more and more tempted to try out Lady G at some future time. Would definitely have to be a trip with just the wife and no kids, I don't think they'd find enough to do on the ship with all the sea days. But that really looked like a very nice 9-night leisure vacation. And with an overnight in Bermuda, to boot!

The First Picture ..... 2016 - Right after going under the Key Bridge

The Second Picture .... 2017 - Right after going under the Bay Bridges

The Third Picture .... 2017 Docked In Bermuda (the crappy weather was compliments of Hurricane Jose)

16114429_10211948566537776_3268905598032426091_n.jpg

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I realize that my photos have missed significant areas of the ship.   I've also completely neglected all entertainment and shows in the theater so I guess i better book another cruise on her to fix that.

I think you owe it to us really! 😅

Just now, Boston Babe said:

@twangster, you seem to have alot of insight regarding RC and futures for ships, I really did love the Grandeur and i'm looking at an April 2020 booking, my concern is, will she still be in the fleet?  I haven't seen anything about dry dock for her. Your opinion??

Putting on my "I own the cruise line for day" hat on for the moment...

I made a point of booking some of the older ships this year and even planned a glass block for Empress.  Why?  I am speculating that there is interest in getting them out of the fleet so I want to sail them while I can.  That is purely speculation on my part, I have no hard facts or inside knowledge to back that up nor can I predict a timeline for my speculation. 

The dilemma RCI faces is trying to find a buyer that won't turn around and offer dirt cheap Bahamas cruises impacting their strategy to Wow! the short cruise market with Mariner, Navigator, Indy and the Perfect Day at Cococay strategy.   

Vision class ships are like owning an older car.  It's likely paid off, you don't have a monthly car payment, insurance is cheap but its not as efficient as a new car, lacks some new features and maintenance costs can start to add up.  You might want to sell it off but it runs great and does its job quite handily.  There is a small market for selling older used cars and they don't fetch very good prices. 

Throw all those factors into a bucket and if the right opportunity comes along, they would be hard pressed to keep them - in my SWAG of an opinion.

Will they still be here 10 years from now?  I strongly doubt it.

Will they still be here 5 years from now?  I doubt it.

Will they still be here 2 years from now? - I just don't know.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Will they still be here 2 years from now? - I just don't know.

Very well put about the used cars. and being as she's not listed anywhere in the revamp schedule I'm very hesitant.  I am guess she would be replaced in the baltimore market but with what ship? Very interesting navigation in there.  I really liked the 9 day itinerary and would finally get to CocoCay.  I think I will sit on this one, there sure is plenty of time or Plan B is out of Cape Liberty or Florida. I too can't see her 5 years or 10 years, look at all the newer ships coming into play as well.

Thanks so much Twangster!! 

1 minute ago, Boston Babe said:

Very well put about the used cars. and being as she's not listed anywhere in the revamp schedule I'm very hesitant.  I am guess she would be replaced in the baltimore market but with what ship? Very interesting navigation in there.  I really liked the 9 day itinerary and would finally get to CocoCay.  I think I will sit on this one, there sure is plenty of time or Plan B is out of Cape Liberty or Florida. I too can't see her 5 years or 10 years, look at all the newer ships coming into play as well.

Thanks so much Twangster!! 

If in doubt book a refundable cruise.  As it gets closer convert it to NRDB.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

If in doubt book a refundable cruise.  As it gets closer convert it to NRDB.

Umm....suite snob...suites don't come with a refundable option lol

@Boston Babe, if you booked it and they cancelled because they sell the ship, wouldn't you get your deposit back??  I don't see how you would lose out here?

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Umm....suite snob...suites don't come with a refundable option lol

I guess they would, but at that point what kind of shape might she be in? I truly wish I saw that she was going into drydock, this ship sails year round out of BWI.  Hell, I still have that $400 future cruise on Carnival!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, coneyraven said:

the second was in the fog arriving back in Baltimore

That must happen often! I'm curious, what month was that? We had major fog and fog horn all the way in till the wee hours! Gorgeous Pictures!!

2 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I guess they would, but at that point what kind of shape might she be in? 

Good point...

I still have that $400 future cruise on Carnival!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What?! You have a Carnival cruise booked??

Just now, Boston Babe said:

I truly wish I saw that she was going into drydock, this ship sails year round out of BWI. 

Next technical dry dock is 2022 if I'm not mistaken.  They are every five years.  They don't always do refurbishments to guest areas in dry docks, they are really for maintenance below the water line.  I'm sure they are trying to figure it out as well. 

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What?! You have a Carnival cruise booked??

You knew that, I had it booked when I booked the Grandeur. In fact I think you talked me out of it! LOL  I have till March 2020 to use it. I really don't want to sail on them! LOL

I might consider the Horizon, although the Pride is going into major drydock Feb 2019, how bad can it be? Probably really bad! LOL 

You knew that, I had it booked when I booked the Grandeur. In fact I think you talked me out of it! LOL  I have till March 2020 to use it. I really don't want to sail on them! LOL

I might consider the Horizon, although the Pride is going into major drydock Feb 2019, how bad can it be? Probably really bad! LOL 

Yes, that I do remember and I did talk you out of it.  I didn't realize you had a credit from it.  I thought you just cancelled it.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

The dilemma RCI faces is trying to find a buyer that won't turn around and offer dirt cheap Bahamas cruises impacting their strategy to Wow! the short cruise market with Mariner, Navigator, Indy and the Perfect Day at Cococay strategy.   

They can always sell it to Pullmantur as they're the parent company. And I hear Thomson (Marella Cruises) is short a ship as TUI Cruises kept the old Mein Schiff 2... 

5 hours ago, Neaxan said:

They can always sell it to Pullmantur as they're the parent company. And I hear Thomson (Marella Cruises) is short a ship as TUI Cruises kept the old Mein Schiff 2... 

They have but you gotta know the senior executives of Pullmantur are building a case for new ships, not hand-me-downs.

I may be an old fossil but I prefer the older well kept up ships freedom indy liberty are my idea of a mega ship I have sailed oasis class and did not like the feeling I got we seemed to be herded everywhere we went staff was mostly tired and stressed I hated the inside balconies everytime I opened my blinds it seemed like I had an audience I love the feeling of knowing the staff on the small ship if I had my choice for favorite ship in the fleet it would be enchantment so cozy personal for the most part it has always said welcome so happy for you to be here I am on the brilliance in oct and adventure in nov this year and I am absolutely thrilled at the thought I would book the enchantment but lately she has been mired in the craziness that is the port of Miami bring her to Canaveral and I'm there I am not saying the tech on board the monster ships is not fascinating but not for me oh maybe for 3 nights just to see what its like I like to cruise traditionally and focus my activities on the port stops I love the smiling welcoming faces of customer service on the monster class I have run into the o no what does this jerk want face once to many times I love the serenity areas on the smaller ships in my experience on monster class your lucky to get a seat and the hidden buffet they serve is great if you like standing long live the small personal ships and the great cruising experience Royal has perfected over the years leave the theme parks to Disney and universal I love to cruise period yes I am older but when I started cruising I was a younger man and felt the same way I do now