bobroo

RCL Scuba Excursion Boat in Cozumel Sinks

Ok, our first cruise in 15 years and I pick Cozumel!!!  I am VERY concerned about all the issues that have arisen over the past few months.  I was planning to book excursions during the 25% off sale but now I really don’t know what to book.  Maybe we should just stay on the ship 😟

13 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok, our first cruise in 15 years and I pick Cozumel!!!  I am VERY concerned about all the issues that have arisen over the past few months.  I was planning to book excursions during the 25% off sale but now I really don’t know what to book.  Maybe we should just stay on the ship 😟

Cozumel is a beautiful island but each of us needs to decide how to proceed at our own discretion.  The ferry's involved with the explosion and the one near Cancun are owned by the same person and there is speculation of a turf war.  So far there has been no suggestion of targeting US citizens.  

There have been bombings or attempts in places like NYC and Boston over the past few years.  There have been numerous train derailing and bus accidents in the US over the same time frame.

Whether its walking the streets of any big US city, boarding a commuter train in our home city or visiting a tourist destination we all have to decide if we should live in a bubble safe in our homes or go on with our lives.  Spain and some parts of Europe have seen increased security incidents lately yet later this year I'll be visiting Spain to board a transatlantic cruise. 

I just finished a cruise yesterday with stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I enjoyed both ports just like I always have.  

I live blogged from that cruise.  You can see my day on Costa Maya here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59748

And my day in Cozumel here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59921

At the end of the day you need to decide what the right thing is for you and your family.  I've chosen to carry on and enjoy life while being aware of the potential that exists everyday in my home state or while on vacation.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Cozumel is a beautiful island but each of us needs to decide how to proceed at our own discretion.  The ferry's involved with the explosion and the one near Cancun are owned by the same person and there is speculation of a turf war.  So far there has been no suggestion of targeting US citizens.  

There have been bombings or attempts in places like NYC and Boston over the past few years.  There have been numerous train derailing and bus accidents in the US over the same time frame.

Whether its walking the streets of any big US city, boarding a commuter train in our home city or visiting a tourist destination we all have to decide if we should live in a bubble safe in our homes or go on with our lives.  Spain and some parts of Europe have seen increased security incidents lately yet later this year I'll be visiting Spain to board a transatlantic cruise. 

I just finished a cruise yesterday with stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I enjoyed both ports just like I always have.  

I live blogged from that cruise.  You can see my day on Costa Maya here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59748

And my day in Cozumel here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59921

At the end of the day you need to decide what the right thing is for you and your family.  I've chosen to carry on and enjoy life while being aware of the potential that exists everyday in my home state or while on vacation.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post (along with those links!).  You are correct in that we can't stop our lives because of these problems.  I appreciate your insight.  If I may ask,  could one (or in our case 3) spend a day at both/either port without doing an excursions?  Really would be fine with some shopping, restaurants and beach.  

Pooch

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post (along with those links!).  You are correct in that we can't stop our lives because of these problems.  I appreciate your insight.  If I may ask,  could one (or in our case 3) spend a day at both/either port without doing an excursions?  Really would be fine with some shopping, restaurants and beach.  

Pooch

At most ports you can get by without doing an excursion purchased through the cruise line depending on the type of activities you are looking for.  At some ports this is easier than others.  I often take a local bus or cab to a beach or downtown area.  Excursions purchased through the cruise line are easy.  Read, click, purchase.  Planning your own day takes more work but you end up with exactly what you choose.  

Cruising to a foreign country is in some ways no different than flying there.  Once you step foot off the ship you are free to visit the country and make your own day of activities.  I've rented cars, taken cabs, walked, etc.  Just make sure you are back on the ship well before the all aboard time.  

The port area at Costa Maya has a lot going on right within the port area or you can take a shuttle or taxi to the local beach, $3-4 per person.

The port area in Cozumel has a lot of shops and some bars.  Beaches require a cab and there are popular "resorts for a day' that many people arrange on their own without booking it through the cruise line.  Mr. Sanchos is one, Playa Mia is another, Nachi Cocom is a third.  Some have more for kids, some can get busy depending how many ships are in and some limit crowds but have to be booked ahead of time.  Some include some food or drinks, others don't. 

Here is a blog from @Matt for Nachi Cocom:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/11/29/excursion-focus-nachi-cocom-beach-break-review-cozumel-mexico