paper state issue ID

does anyone know if paper state issue IDs are acceptable? I lost my ID and had to get a new one and my cruise leaves on the 20th and I don’t believe I will get it in time. I do have my birth certificate that I will also bring, but not sure if anybody has ran to this problem where they lost their ID and have to use a paper copy until the hardcopy arrives

I don't know the answer to this but I'm sure someone here does.  I'm curious to know if it's acceptable as my cousin just lost his and we leave on the 18th of this Month.  

Here is a previous thread in the topic. Seems like people have been more successful if the paper ID indicates it is state issued and has your picture on it. Obviously will need a certified birth certificate as well.

Yes i seen that thread. I did call up there two days back and it came back to me saying that they don’t accept paper IDs, but then I see other threats saying that they accepted it and then had no issue so i’m kinda lost if i need to toss this trip up if my ID does not come in time

29 minutes ago, TEE21 said:

Yes i seen that thread. I did call up there two days back and it came back to me saying that they don’t accept paper IDs, but then I see other threats saying that they accepted it and then had no issue so i’m kinda lost if i need to toss this trip up if my ID does not come in time

I would toss the trip and use your travel insurance to mitigate the loss (assuming that you have CFAR/Cancel For Any Reason policy). Then you know for sure that you're not going (as opposed to getting to the port only to be told that you can't board the ship). 

3 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

I would toss the trip and use your travel insurance to mitigate the loss (assuming that you have CFAR/Cancel For Any Reason policy). Then you know for sure that you're not going (as opposed to getting to the port only to be told that you can't board the ship). 

Agreed

At that point (at the pier) your insurance probably won't pay either.

1 hour ago, TEE21 said:

I just called them they said i was good. But could not send me anything to say i was 🤷🏾‍♂️

I would have to fly to port, or drive 20 hrs. That answer wouldn't cut for me. 

I hope your trip goes off without a hitch!

Phone agents have been known to provide incorrect info on topics where there is not a cut and dry answer. Your ability to board the ship might just depend on the staff member who does your check in. 

Another reason for a passport, but I would go with your plan if US cruise returning to same port. I would also take something with your picture, even if expired. When you get new license, take a picture, like the covid cards we used to need. More info to talk your way through. But really, get a passport for future travel.

54 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Another reason for a passport, but I would go with your plan if US cruise returning to same port. I would also take something with your picture, even if expired. When you get new license, take a picture, like the covid cards we used to need. More info to talk your way through. But really, get a passport for future travel.

Covid card? Really??

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I think the context there is at the time those were required to board, having a picture of it may help you board if you forgot/lost it.

Those were the days.  🙄

I remember showing it 4 or 5 times in Nassau….all in the same room…each table in sight of the table we showed them at previously. 

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Was coming here to say this. i know there is a cost, but I think people get hung up on "why would i ever need a passport".  Sure, cruising is one example, but it's also a secondary ID for times when you do have an issue with your primary id.  I've tried to get my nieces and nephews to get passports as they turn 18, and they have been resistant since they couldn't see the need.  Then one niece's boyfriend went to school up in Michigan and she learned she couldn't cross over to Canada for a day trip without the passport, so now she is getting the process going. 🙂 

If I could go back and do it over, I would have bough them thier passports as they graduated high school, but now we're almost done with graduations and the ones that haven't graduated yet, already have passports.

I've used my passport a few times when I needed a secondary ID with a picture and it was nice to know I have a backup. When we did our renewal, we added the passport cards so we can use them for land crossings and not have to carry the book, since I don't want to take the chance of losing it 🙂 We also use the passport card when getting off the ship, since it's a pain to get a new drivers license where we're at. 

Yes, I know I cannot fly home with the card, but we typically just wander around the port area within walking distance of the ship and have little fear of missing it. We also have a plan in place for an emergency to get our passports off the ship.  

I've gone through the same thing with family on the RealID here in KY.  We have both a standard ID and a RealID, of course you cannot fly with a standard ID.  The cost difference is <$5 and is good for 4 or 8 years.  They're like " i never fly anywhere, so why get it?'" My thought is that it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  I think people lose sight that the RealID is needed for more than just flying and then then when you need it you'll be stuck.  We have a nice local museum, that happens to b on Fort Knox and you need the RealID to get onto the base to visit the museum.  That put a kink in some peoples plans!

Sorry for the rant!

3 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Covid card? Really??

Relax- they were using the example of having a picture of a legal ID or document was a good back up just in case. Man, that word still gets people triggered, huh? 

2 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

Was coming here to say this. i know there is a cost, but I think people get hung up on "why would i ever need a passport".  Sure, cruising is one example, but it's also a secondary ID for times when you do have an issue with your primary id.  I've tried to get my nieces and nephews to get passports as they turn 18, and they have been resistant since they couldn't see the need.  Then one niece's boyfriend went to school up in Michigan and she learned she couldn't cross over to Canada for a day trip without the passport, so now she is getting the process going. 🙂 

If I could go back and do it over, I would have bough them thier passports as they graduated high school, but now we're almost done with graduations and the ones that haven't graduated yet, already have passports.

I've used my passport a few times when I needed a secondary ID with a picture and it was nice to know I have a backup. When we did our renewal, we added the passport cards so we can use them for land crossings and not have to carry the book, since I don't want to take the chance of losing it 🙂 We also use the passport card when getting off the ship, since it's a pain to get a new drivers license where we're at. 

Yes, I know I cannot fly home with the card, but we typically just wander around the port area within walking distance of the ship and have little fear of missing it. We also have a plan in place for an emergency to get our passports off the ship.  

I've gone through the same thing with family on the RealID here in KY.  We have both a standard ID and a RealID, of course you cannot fly with a standard ID.  The cost difference is <$5 and is good for 4 or 8 years.  They're like " i never fly anywhere, so why get it?'" My thought is that it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  I think people lose sight that the RealID is needed for more than just flying and then then when you need it you'll be stuck.  We have a nice local museum, that happens to b on Fort Knox and you need the RealID to get onto the base to visit the museum.  That put a kink in some peoples plans!

Sorry for the rant!

But you CAN fly without a Real ID.... they keep pushing that back, but pretty sure it's not required until next year. 

43 minutes ago, ScottD said:

But you CAN fly without a Real ID.... they keep pushing that back, but pretty sure it's not required until next year. 

Hell, you can fly without any kind of ID if needed. My friend lost his ID in Vegas (of course) last year and made it home without. He had two other things with his name on it (I think a credit card and frequent flier card) and he had to do extra security checks, but he made it. 1/10 would not recommend, though. 

19 hours ago, ScottD said:

Relax- they were using the example of having a picture of a legal ID or document was a good back up just in case. Man, that word still gets people triggered, huh? 

No that word doesn't trigger me at all, but a Covid vaccination card is, in no way shape or form, a form of legal ID.  That was my point.

I guess I misread the intent of the post; initially it read, to me, that a picture of your Covid card could be a valid alternative to your missing photo ID.  

Excuse my poor reading comprehension on that one.

3 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

No that word doesn't trigger me at all, but a Covid vaccination card is, in no way shape or form, a form of legal ID.  That was my point.

One may as well have recommended bringing your library card as an alternative

Agreed, and I wasn't suggesting that, just using phone for back-up. I misplace stuff, so I tend to use my phone more to capture images. I used an example I thought cruisers and land travelers would recognize. Safe travels everyone.

1 minute ago, ChessE4 said:

Agreed, and I wasn't suggesting that, just using phone for back-up. I misplace stuff, so I tend to use my phone more to capture images. I used an example I thought cruisers and land travelers would recognize. Safe travels everyone.

I see that thought process now; my apologies.

I do similar, I have all my important documents on my office's cloud based server. I can access anything from anywhere.