Galveston expects an Icon

https://www.chron.com/gulf-coast/article/galveston-port-biggest-cruise-ships-19424517.php

Galveston is always getting the hand me downs from Royal, but in this case, I'd be Ok with Icon coming.  I don't see any chance we'd get one of the new Icon class ships debuting in Galveston unless Carnival starts making a serious dent in the market with Jubilee.

Everybody wants the newest ships.  Europe expects them.  Singapore expects them.  Australia wants something newer.  It should be no surprise Texas wants one too.  

Royal doesn't deploy based on emotions.

Royal deploys where a ship, from the oldest to the newest, will generate the most revenue. 

A competitor making a dent doesn't matter.  For decades Royal didn't serve the LA market.  They let Carnival brands own that market.  They only returned with a twenty year old ship when they thought they could generate revenue to the point it made sense to do so.  What a competitor was doing wasn't a significant factor.

If a competitor knocks it out of the park in Galveston and bookings decline Royal's response could just as well be to downgrade to a smaller ship if the larger ship could generate more revenue elsewhere.   Placing a new ship there would be risky if a competitor has discovered a secret sauce that would make it even more difficult to book out an even larger ship when they know with certainty that new ship will make bank somewhere else.   They'll take the guaranteed money everytime.  No emotions, just revenue numbers.  

Only Royal knows how well Oasis class in Galveston is generating revenue compared to other Oasis class homeports.  They have the data.  That data is far more important over any other factor including the emotions of what a particular market wants.  The numbers don't lie.  

On 4/26/2024 at 8:09 PM, ultimate_ed said:

https://www.chron.com/gulf-coast/article/galveston-port-biggest-cruise-ships-19424517.php

Galveston is always getting the hand me downs from Royal, but in this case, I'd be Ok with Icon coming.  I don't see any chance we'd get one of the new Icon class ships debuting in Galveston unless Carnival starts making a serious dent in the market with Jubilee.

Would agree on the "hand-me downs".   But will take what ever we can get.....

From a traveler's perspective, it seems natural to put an Icon-class ship in Galveston with all the competition:

MSC Seascape - new ship

Carnival Jubilee - new ship 

Norwegian Viva - new ship plus attractive itinerary

And there's always Princess and Disney.

Maybe that "wonder" remark was not all hot air.

But, like Twangster said, it's all about how RCL can maximize their revenue.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:09 PM, ultimate_ed said:

I don't think Carnival's Jubilee would have any barring on if Galveston does or does not get an Icon Class ship in the future.  I think the decision would be based on the success of the Oasis Class ship Royal already has sailing from Galveston and Royal's own other internal metrics.  It isn't about keeping up with the Jones's for Royal it's more so about having the right ship in the right market to generate the most revenue.  

It's also about can the Galveston market sustain Icon's Iconic prices which are much much higher than prices on any Oasis Class ship. Even now cruising out of Galveston on an Oasis Class 7 night cruise is cheaper than the same 7 night cruise on a Oasis Class sailing out of Florida.  If Galveston can't support Icons out of this world pricing does Royal want to dilute yield just so they can say we put one of our newest ships in Galveston when they know the Florida market (which also pulls in a lot more international visitors) can support those Iconic prices.  Only Royal can answer those questions and only time will tell if an Icon Class ship ends up in Galveston.

55 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

It's also about can the Galveston market sustain Icon's Iconic prices which are much much higher than prices on any Oasis Class ship. Even now cruising out of Galveston on an Oasis Class 7 night cruise is cheaper than the same 7 night cruise on a Oasis Class sailing out of Florida.  If Galveston can't support Icons out of this world pricing does Royal want to dilute yield just so they can say we put one of our newest ships in Galveston when they know the Florida market (which also pulls in a lot more international visitors) can support those Iconic prices.  Only Royal can answer those questions and only time will tell if an Icon Class ship ends up in Galveston.

^^This^^