Tipping in Coastal Kitchen and room attendant

I'm curious to know what others do since I always feel awkward whatever we do. In Coastal Kitchen,  I have left tips after each meal but with so many people serving you, I don't know who gets it. I've tried tipping at the end of the cruise but end up missing a lot of servers. My state room attendant always leaves the tip tip hooray envelope, and we leave them money. I either pre pay gratuities or have them charged to the room which seems like I'm double tipping. What do other people do?

I know that many tip by the meal at CK, but I do not. I always tip at the end in CK. I make note and remember those that I came across over the week, and tip accordingly. Almost always, they end up seating me with the same few servers anyway so there are not too many to keep track of.

7 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I'm curious to know what others do since I always feel awkward whatever we do. In Coastal Kitchen,  I have left tips after each meal but with so many people serving you, I don't know who gets it. I've tried tipping at the end of the cruise but end up missing a lot of servers. My state room attendant always leaves the tip tip hooray envelope, and we leave them money. I either pre pay gratuities or have them charged to the room which seems like I'm double tipping. What do other people do?

I know exactly how you feel.  After many years of wrestling with the whole tipping minefield, I have decided to treat it just like any other of life's mysteries - The only control I have is over what I do....I cannot control what happens beyond that.

We tip-as-we-go ALWAYS.  That is the only thing that really works for us.  You NEVER know if you will see the person again who has served you so tip while you can and forget about it.  I canNOT control what happens to the money once I leave it on the table or, in some cases, give it directly to a server.  That is beyond my control.  I do what I should do - I tip - what happens after that is none of my business.  I trust that they have an equitable process worked out where those who need to get tipped, will.  If they do not, frankly, it's not my problem.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I know exactly how you feel.  After many years of wrestling with the whole tipping minefield, I have decided to treat it just like any other of life's mysteries - The only control I have is over what I do....I cannot control what happens beyond that.

We tip-as-we-go ALWAYS.  That is the only thing that really works for us.  You NEVER know if you will see the person again who has served you so tip while you can and forget about it.  I canNOT control what happens to the money once I leave it on the table or, in some cases, give it directly to a server.  That is beyond my control.  I do what I should do - I tip - what happens after that is none of my business.  I trust that they have an equitable process worked out where those who need to get tipped, will.  If they do not, frankly, it's not my problem.

That's pretty much the best way I've come up with.

Thanks 

Frankly, the whole tipping system is nuts.  Moreover, it is really the cruise companies' fault.  They want to collect gratuities as part of your cruise fare but then provide no information regarding how that money is allocated so the passengers have no idea who is getting what and we feel guilty if we don't give more.  Frankly, I think that is the plan so that the companies can pay their employees less out of the fares that they charge yet the employees still make a living wage out of the extra tips they receive.  It is a system that begs for clarification.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:41 PM, Ampurp85 said:

When I dined in CK I tipped as I go. I have always utilized this method. I never know if I will see anyone again.

On one cruise I wasn't feeling very well on the last night so I was grateful I took care of everyone. On another our usual person was sick, so if I had waited they would have missed out.

If you don't mind me asking.  Since you dine in CK, tipped as you go.  How much do you tip the server and the assistant service?  $20 & $10?

2 hours ago, KevinK said:

How much do you tip the server

At CK, as well at any specialty restaurant, I tip $10 at dinner and $5 for breakfast and lunch.

A waiter once asked if wouldn’t mind leaving additional gratuity on the bill instead of cash.   Said cash goes into his pocket, a tip on the bill goes to his family via his paycheck.  Since, I politely ask.

I give a Sky Class suite attendant $50 on day 1 and another $50 on the last evening.