Hurricanes

So anxiety is just so much fun isn't it?

I was telling a friend of mine about the cruise and she asked if I got the insurance (I did) and then she said aren't you worried about a hurricane that is the opening of hurricane season.

I am traveling out of NY/NJ on May 31st to the Bahamas and back on June 7th this year,

(I'm from LA so I am flying out there)

Travel insurance covers this correct?  Has anyone had this happen?  Now my anxiety riddled brain is stressing about a hurricane ruining a trip 3 months out.

Adding, if it helps any….i was scheduled to be on the Bayonne cruise to Greenland when Hurricane Lee came traveling up the coast.  Lots of worry if we’d make it to Greenland!  In order to keep from going in front of the storm we set sail, as scheduled, and went to NYC pier )unscheduled stop) for an overnight (we missed Halifax).  
on my transatlantic from Southampton to NJ there was a storm, we missed Bermuda and went to Halifax (unscheduled stop)
royal will do its best to keep the sailing, but may have to change ports, or just cancel some. 
in the case of the transatlantic a lot of the Brit’s were saying their insurance covered missed ports.  My insurance did not. So read the policy to understand what you purchased. 

2 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

So anxiety is just so much fun isn't it?

I was telling a friend of mine about the cruise and she asked if I got the insurance (I did) and then she said aren't you worried about a hurricane that is the opening of hurricane season.

I am traveling out of NY/NJ on May 31st to the Bahamas and back on June 7th this year,

(I'm from LA so I am flying out there)

Travel insurance covers this correct?  Has anyone had this happen?  Now my anxiety riddled brain is stressing about a hurricane ruining a trip 3 months out.

First....calm down. LOL.

As far hurricane season in NJ the first week of June, you will be fine. I lived the first 40 years of my life within a 2 mile radius of the port. The weather at that time of year is fine. More than fine.

Now as far as south from there goes. I always travel in May and never worry about my cruise. Traveling from Florida. From Bayonne you have it even better. They have the option from that far north to go in other directions and/or other speeds. They can go slower to the Bahamas to avoid the storm. They can go north towards Canada if absolutely necessary. But this rarely happens. If it does, you make the best of it.

As far as insurance. Most U.S. policies won't reimburse you for not going, if the ship sails. And 99% of the time they sail. If your talking about missing flights to Port because of weather, then you would get refunded. As far as port stops excursions etc....Royal will refund you directly if your itinerary and port stops have to change. But to be clear...No insurance company will compensate you for not boarding if ship leaves but goes in a different direction. 

Bottom line. Even in storms at that time of year, it usually only effects one full day. If ships decides to go through or around the outside of the storm. Then it's early summer. The next day is blue skies and sun again. It all works out in the end. Nobody can control the weather. They can control the speed and direction of the ship. Any port is an adventure. If something was to change, that's how you look at it. But truly it's rare. 

Good morning @Minuet888 .  I have lived in Rhode Island for my entire 67 years and truly have no memory of hurricanes affecting us or any part this far up the coast that early in the hurricane season!  I am actually sailing on Symphony May 16th -24th this year and have no worries of what might or could be.  Most hurricanes begin well East of the Caribbean and will take days…many, many days to travel West towards the Islands and US coast.  Sure there could be a frontal system form closer to the Bahamas but typically May and June are decent times for avoiding hurricane events (when in the hurricane calendar season)!  I would be more worried if you were booked for September or October, but even then, as  @CanHardlyWait mentions…cruise ships know what to do to avoid mishaps!  
Yes…there are very rare occurrences which become unavoidable even for a cruise ship but that’s the chance each and every one of us takes when we book our vacations…cruising or otherwise!

My advice is Relax and enjoy the countdown to a vacation as perfect and memorable as you can make it!  For me it’s 74 days away making yours 89!  😂   I hope you have the best cruise ever!

We took a cruise out of NJ to Bermuda a couple years back in September. We were told not to worry about hurricanes as they seldom hit Bermuda because it's much further north and "Atlantic" vs. the Caribbean islands. A week before we left, a huge hurricane popped up and we spent days online just watching the weather news worried we'd be stuck on the boat and unable to go to Bermuda when that was the entire reason for going on the trip.

In the end, we got lucky. It hit the island a few days before we got there. There was visible damage (mostly just branches down and stuff) but it wasn't enough to prevent us from going. 

In all probability, you'll be okay and your cruise will be fine. 

On 3/3/2024 at 12:02 AM, Pattycruise said:

Adding, if it helps any….i was scheduled to be on the Bayonne cruise to Greenland when Hurricane Lee came traveling up the coast.  Lots of worry if we’d make it to Greenland!  In order to keep from going in front of the storm we set sail, as scheduled, and went to NYC pier )unscheduled stop) for an overnight (we missed Halifax).  
on my transatlantic from Southampton to NJ there was a storm, we missed Bermuda and went to Halifax (unscheduled stop)
royal will do its best to keep the sailing, but may have to change ports, or just cancel some. 
in the case of the transatlantic a lot of the Brit’s were saying their insurance covered missed ports.  My insurance did not. So read the policy to understand what you purchased. 

We were on that one! *waves*

That unscheduled stop in Manhattan was a bonus, as far as we were concerned. Sorry to have missed Halifax on that leg but the DB hadn't been to NYC since the 1970s and was just charmed by the changes. Bottom line? You will be fine - roll with both the waves and any changes and enjoy the experience!

On 3/4/2024 at 2:16 PM, smokeybandit said:

The issue with Bermuda isn't storms hitting the island, but storms cutting off the path from the USA to Bermuda.

Usually, yes. But this one last year actually hit Bermuda!

However low the odds, we did get caught by Hurricane Dorian in August/September of 2019, aboard Anthem on a Northeast Coast and Maritime Canada cruise.  We sailed from Cape Liberty, and watched the weather channel all week. The skipper kept us updated and shared possible contingencies if we were impacted.   Ultimately, the storm was catching up to us the day before we were to return to Cape Liberty.  He raced to get around and past the storm, and we arrived in port the evening prior to our scheduled arrival to hide out the storm.  And to make it up to us, he gave us the tour of a lifetime up the Hudson River. 

My point is, these ships are huge, weather predicting and tracking is incredible, and they just do whatever it takes to let the cruise continue, even though the itinerary may change a little.  In spite of this storm, this was a wonderful cruise.