Explorer Oct 2024 sailings cancelled/changed

Got this e-mail today. Checked from royal website and there is no sailings for Oct 2024 for sale at the moment. Probably preparing new itineraries for web.

About Your Upcoming Travels

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2014/Masters/email_temp/html/images/spacer.gif

Dear Guest,

Due to an adjustment in itinerary planning, we’ve made some changes to our upcoming Explorer of the Seas, October 26th, 2024 sailing. We will now sail a 6-Night Greece, Italy & Spain itinerary. We understand this is not an ideal situation, and we’re truly sorry for the impact this has on your vacation plans. The time and effort you took to plan your cruise is important to us, so we’ve put together some alternate options that we hope will work for you and those in your party.

Option 1: Stay on our new Explorer of the Seas 6-Night Greece, Italy & Spain sailing on October 27th from Athens (Piraeus), Greece and disembarking in Barcelona, Spain

What you’ll receive:

• You’ll remain in the same stateroom on our new Explorer of the Seas October 27th, 2024 sailing.
  • Your cruise fare will either be adjusted to the new cruise fare rate OR prorated for the change in sailing nights, whichever option results in a lesser fare, and any overage will be refunded. This applies to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items will be at the prevailing rate.
  • To sweeten the offer, you’ll receive a credit to spend onboard per stateroom:
    • $100 USD for Interior, Ocean View, and Balcony staterooms | $200 USD for Suites
    • Plus, an additional $50 USD for each third or more guest to spend onboard.
  • And, you’ll also be reimbursed for non-refundable, pre-purchased transportation change fees incurred (such as a flight, train ticket, or rental car).
    • We’ll cover up to $200 USD per guest for Domestic changes, or up to $400 USD per guest for International changes.
    • Please email your receipts and booking information to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for review and reimbursement.

Option 2: Re-book one of the below 2024 itineraries onboard Explorer of the Seas:

Roundtrip 7-Night Greek Isles Cruise from Ravenna (Venice), Italy:

• Sailing on September 7th and visiting:
    • Santorini, Greece | Mykonos, Greece | Athens (Piraeus), Greece | and Olympia (Katakolon), Greece

Roundtrip 7-Night Greece and Croatia Cruise from Ravenna (Venice), Italy:

• Sailing on September 14th and visiting:
    • Dubrovnik, Croatia | Athens (Piraeus), Greece | Mykonos, Greece | and Split, Croatia

One-Way 6-Night Greece, Greece, Croatia & Turkey Cruise from Ravenna (Venice), Italy and disembarking in Athens (Piraeus), Greece:

• Sailing on October 5th and visiting:
    • Split, Croatia | Mykonos, Greece | Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey | and Santorini, Greece

One-Way 8-Night Greece, Italy & Cyprus Cruise from Athens (Piraeus), Greece and disembarking in Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy:

• Sailing on October 11th and visiting:
    • Santorini, Greece | Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece | Bodrum, Turkey | Limassol, Cyprus | and Naples, Italy

One-Way 8-Night Greece, Cyprus & Turkey Cruise from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy and disembarking in Athens (Piraeus), Greece:

• Sailing on October 19th and visiting:
    • Santorini, Greece | Mykonos, Greece | Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey | Bodrum, Turkey | and Limassol, Cyprus

What you’ll receive:

• Your original stateroom category price will either be protected at your original cruise fare rate or reduced to the current cruise fare rate (whichever is lower). This excludes taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items.
    • If you were already paid in full and your cruise fare rate decreases, we’ll provide you with a refund for any difference in pricing.
  • To sweeten the offer, you’ll receive a credit to spend onboard per stateroom:
    • $100 USD for Interior, Ocean View, and Balcony staterooms | $200 USD for Suites
    • Plus, an additional $50 USD for each third or more guest to spend onboard.
  • And, you’ll also be reimbursed for non-refundable, pre-purchased transportation change fees incurred (such as a flight, train ticket, or rental car).
    • We’ll cover up to $200 USD per guest for Domestic changes, or up to $400 USD per guest for International changes.
    • Please email your receipts and booking information to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for review and reimbursement.

Option 3: Re-book any other Royal Caribbean International sailing.

• If you prefer to re-book another sailing, we’ll waive any non-refundable deposit change fees.
  • Please know, you’ll be responsible for any difference in pricing for your cruise fare, taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items.
    • If your booking was already paid in full and your cruise fare rate decreases, we’ll provide you with a refund for the difference.

Option 4: If you can’t find a new itinerary that works for you and choose to cancel, we’ll be sad to see you go, but hope you’ll come back soon. You’ll receive:

• A full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare (including non-refundable deposits) and any pre-paid amenities to the original form of payment.
    • If you used a Future Cruise Credit on this sailing and you request a refund instead, we’ll refund any NEW funds paid above the certificate amount and we’ll reinstate your original certificate.
  • Please know, if you choose this option, we will not provide additional compensation.

Any refunds due will be credited to your original form of payment within 14 business days after your decision – kindly note, refund times may vary depending on your financial institution.

It’s important to us that you find the best vacation option. Please call us at 888-281-9344 or contact your Travel Advisor by February 15th, 2024, to let us know your decision. And please know, hold times may be longer than usual. If you decide to go with Option 4, there’s no need to call us. If we haven’t heard from you by February 15th, 2024 your reservation will default to Option 4 and will be cancelled.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at:

• 1 888 281 9344 in the U.S. or text us at 800 256-6649
  • 1800 754 500 in Australia / 0800 102 123 in New Zealand
  • In the UK only, by using our webchat service or by calling 0344 493 4005
  • All other countries, please visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contactus for your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number.

Thank you for understanding. We hope you find another cruise vacation with us. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or looking to explore, relax, and recharge – we have no doubt your time with us will be nothing short of amazing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez
AVP | Guest Experience
Royal Caribbean International

1 minute ago, Plasticbrain said:

October 12-19 greece and adriatic ravenna-kotor-athens-santorini-split-ravenna. I was also going to do Slovenia and Venice before Ravenna on my own.. I  lost 400$ on airfare that wont be refunded (I chose to csncel, since none of the itinearies they offered suits me). 

I don't suppose you have travel insurance that might reimburse you for the cost of the flights?

25 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Fingers crossed for you. 🤞

Got repsonse, no they do not cover it. Oh well. I will survive losing 400$ even if it is super annoying, and I think RC should have covered it. But the fact that they cancelled the trip, and offered no other same itineary is sad. Oh well. I am still doing 1 (my first ever) cruise this year in July from Barcelona so at least I have a week on Oasis with my kids and my mom to look forward to 🥰

1 hour ago, Mel said:

The "best" from it is, that they are selling our cabin for 27th Oct saling, even we haven't decided to cancel.

I must say if RC are trying to make a good impression on  first time cruisers they are not doing a good job so far....

Hopefully the cruise i am actually doing this year will be good for me, my mom and my kids. They have a job to do if they plan to keep me as a customer... 

1 hour ago, Mel said:

The "best" from it is, that they are selling our cabin for 27th Oct saling, even we haven't decided to cancel.

That's crazy. Did you book direct or through a travel agent? I think you need to be proactive with this and speak to Royal or your travel agent to do something about it because if your cabin is showing available on the website then it is entirely possible that someone else could book it.

11 hours ago, FionaMG said:

That's crazy. Did you book direct or through a travel agent? I think you need to be proactive with this and speak to Royal or your travel agent to do something about it because if your cabin is showing available on the website then it is entirely possible that someone else could book it.

Booked directly with Royal. I have informed them about it.

Interesting. I thought they just cancelled my booking of 12 Oct. So it seems to affect all October 2024 sailings of the Explorer... 🤔

On 1/26/2024 at 8:17 PM, Mel said:

I was curious and also checked my cabin: It is also shown as available although I have not yet contacted them. 😄

On 1/26/2024 at 9:33 PM, FionaMG said:

I wonder what happens if someone else books the cabin and you decide to stay? Who then has to change their cabin? 🤨

They turned my cruise into the "8-Night Greece, Italy & Cyprus" cruise with completely different itineraries. I have not booked this route so I will have to cancel the cruise. A lot of planning time went into it and unfortunately there is no mention of what happened or why none of the originally planned ports can be visited. Has anyone heard any more information about this? 🙄

Another thing to bear in mind is that even if I change my booking to another comparable cruise it will definitely be more expensive because I had booked shore excursions and other things in the cruise planner with significant discounts during the Black Friday deal.
Now these things are much more expensive and I can't book them again with the same discounts, which is very annoying. 😡

That's very disappointing @Mr.Cruiser, I feel for you. 😕

It's a strange one, this. It's not uncommon for cruise lines to make changes for various operational reasons. Sometimes they're obvious like an unsafe environment (e.g. Israel and Suez), sometimes a charter will cause the cruises either side to be modified or an urgent maintenance issue might throw a spanner in the works, but this one seems to have come out of nowhere. Even though it doesn't affect me I'd be interested to know what's going on.

In my letter they offered me sailings with same cabin type  not same cabin  number, do not know what your letters says... 

I had also booked the key, excursions, drink package, spa treatment. Oh well, I will use the money to take my kids and my Brother and his kids on a regulari noncruise trip to the sun instead. Still really disappointed..

14 minutes ago, Mel said:

What the ship is doing between 04.10-11.10 (originaly ...-12.10). There is now sailings between these dates. It ends a cruise on 04.10 in Ravenna and after that nothing.

Maybe someone chartered it for that week, so they upturned everything since the sailings we were suplosed to do were probably not full? If so: despicable 

20 minutes ago, Mel said:

What the ship is doing between 04.10-11.10 (originaly ...-12.10). There is now sailings between these dates. It ends a cruise on 04.10 in Ravenna and after that nothing.

Good point. The last cruise in Sep starts on 25.09. so it will end on 05.10. (10 nights). Maybe this is another case of someone chartered the ship but I noticed there are more gaps like 21.09.-25.09. and 19.10.-27.10. I could not find a cruise in these time periods. 🤔

15 hours ago, Mr.Cruiser said:

Good point. The last cruise in Sep starts on 25.09. so it will end on 05.10. (10 nights). Maybe this is another case of someone chartered the ship but I noticed there are more gaps like 21.09.-25.09. and 19.10.-27.10. I could not find a cruise in these time periods. 🤔

19.10-27.10 is cruise from Rome to Athens (orginally 19.10-26.10 from Ravenna to Ravenna). It's sold out. 

Yes all of you, same story here. We re in a 6p cabin, through an Italian website (direct RCI) booking. We called monday, and a RCI agent told us that he had a lot of 6 p cabins on this cruise of October 27 6n from Athens (instead of Ravenna October 2026 7n.). I told him that would be impossible, because checking lately all 6 p cabins were booked. So they messed up with cabins they made available, even without cancellations from customers. He rebooked us, and we got really messed up amounts on our reservations. From 2164 left to be paid one week ago, we have now a remaining of about 5000 to be paid. It's a bad joke with them and their IT.

He didn't know anything about schedule changes or the email of end of last week with all the benefits like pro-rata discount and on board credit. He asked me to write an email, then they could 'look into it'. Haha. Still waiting for 6 days already for a not-automated reply from real people. We also have send in our refund-request since we had tickets to Bologna that will end up in the dustbin. So another 1000 extra costs we have made already to stay loyal customers.

I'm afraid there is a big IT mistake going on with a chance of customers who want to stay on a shorter cruise, and find their cabin already (double) booked. I think on the 8 day cruise this won't be the fact, since they just booked the extra day in a cabin that was already booked. So the 6 night cruises will show a lot of availability, which is wrong.

I think this change in itineraries they can't handle. Why didn't they use a seperate email-address for these changes? And instruct their booking offices?

And one more thing. If we uploaded the proof of payments for the new/changed tickets, they refuse because of too large files. So they keep frustrating customers. Not only by refunding all the dining and beverage, and internet packages from the discounted black friday sale we had. Almost 900 we will loose if we rebook. No way.

4 hours ago, harrie126 said:

Yes all of you, same story here. We re in a 6p cabin, through an Italian website (direct RCI) booking. We called monday, and a RCI agent told us that he had a lot of 6 p cabins on this cruise of October 27 6n from Athens (instead of Ravenna October 2026 7n.). I told him that would be impossible, because checking lately all 6 p cabins were booked. So they messed up with cabins they made available, even without cancellations from customers. He rebooked us, and we got really messed up amounts on our reservations. From 2164 left to be paid one week ago, we have now a remaining of about 5000 to be paid. It's a bad joke with them and their IT.

He didn't know anything about schedule changes or the email of end of last week with all the benefits like pro-rata discount and on board credit. He asked me to write an email, then they could 'look into it'. Haha. Still waiting for 6 days already for a not-automated reply from real people. We also have send in our refund-request since we had tickets to Bologna that will end up in the dustbin. So another 1000 extra costs we have made already to stay loyal customers.

I'm afraid there is a big IT mistake going on with a chance of customers who want to stay on a shorter cruise, and find their cabin already (double) booked. I think on the 8 day cruise this won't be the fact, since they just booked the extra day in a cabin that was already booked. So the 6 night cruises will show a lot of availability, which is wrong.

I think this change in itineraries they can't handle. Why didn't they use a seperate email-address for these changes? And instruct their booking offices?

And one more thing. If we uploaded the proof of payments for the new/changed tickets, they refuse because of too large files. So they keep frustrating customers. Not only by refunding all the dining and beverage, and internet packages from the discounted black friday sale we had. Almost 900 we will loose if we rebook. No way.

All in all this is simply put terrible customer service, and if the person(s) who decided ti pull the trigger on the changes saw these comments and read all the letters customer service probably gets from this they might have thought twice. For me, since this is all happening before my first ever cruise, I am losing Faith in RC and crusing. So I just hope they deliver above expectstions on the one cruise i am actually doing, if not I will both be a first and last tine cruiser with RC this year... 

I was just re-booked from 27th to 19th. Lots of cabins avable for 19th, even on Monday they told, that this sailig is sold out. I'm sure, that I got double-booking and I will be more upset, when they send me next e-mail, that they are sorry, but booking is cancelled.

1 hour ago, Mel said:

I was just re-booked from 27th to 19th. Lots of cabins avable for 19th, even on Monday they told, that this sailig is sold out. I'm sure, that I got double-booking and I will be more upset, when they send me next e-mail, that they are sorry, but booking is cancelled.

If so they should cancel the other person... but still they really f'ed up... i have not got an answer yet to my mail(s) (semt one where I asked for cancellation and for them to cover flight cancellation, and one where I added the response from KLM qnd travel insurance, but all silence so far (the auto response said a few days, been 7 now, in my book a few is 2-3, but I will wait a bit longer, since I feel if I press them i might get a less positive response...) 

1 hour ago, Plasticbrain said:

If so they should cancel the other person... but still they really f'ed up... i have not got an answer yet to my mail(s) (semt one where I asked for cancellation and for them to cover flight cancellation, and one where I added the response from KLM qnd travel insurance, but all silence so far (the auto response said a few days, been 7 now, in my book a few is 2-3, but I will wait a bit longer, since I feel if I press them i might get a less positive response...) 

I believe, that they will not cover flight tickets, if you asked for cancelation (only insurance will help). New flight tickets for me are more than double to Rome and from Athens, what they were before. 

36 minutes ago, Mel said:

I believe, that they will not cover flight tickets, if you asked for cancelation (only insurance will help). New flight tickets for me are more than double to Rome and from Athens, what they were before. 

We will see what they say. If I had cancelled voluntarily i totally get it, but it wss their cancellation that made my trip from Norway-Italy vold..  if they say no then it is definitely my last time with RC regardless of how the Oasis trip goes... 

• 1 month later...

Hello! Just wanted to update on this.

When it got cancelled I sent them one email, and Later when I did not hear anything I sent a new one. 

About a month after cancellation i got a final NO from RC Norwegian customer service on refund for my flight, even if KLM and travel insurance said RC should refund me. I was not happy but I put it away, however 2 weeks ago the US customer service replied to my 2nd email, and confirmed that they had talked to KLM and that RC would refund me 3900kr (380$) for my flight, and today I got the refund. I must say (sorry If I am prejudiced) that I never thought US customer service would be more pro customer than the Norwegian one, taking in regard we have one of the worlds strictest customer protection acts, however they proved me wrong. And this has definitely made me view RC in a totally different light, and made me look forward to my upcoming cruise with Oasis a lot more than I did, and I am sure I will spend way more than what it cost them to refund me in the future, and ofcourse talk good of them to followers, customers etc. so It will definitely be worth it for them. So a happy ending to a sad story! 

38 minutes ago, Plasticbrain said:

When it got cancelled I sent them one email, and Later when I did not hear anything I sent a new one. 

About a month after cancellation i got a final NO from RC Norwegian customer service on refund for my flight, even if KLM and travel insurance said RC should refund me. I was not happy but I put it away, however 2 weeks ago the US customer service replied to my 2nd email, and confirmed that they had talked to KLM and that RC would refund me 3900kr (380$) for my flight, and today I got the refund. I must say (sorry If I am prejudiced) that I never thought US customer service would be more pro customer than the Norwegian one, taking in regard we have one of the worlds strictest customer protection acts, however they proved me wrong. And this has definitely made me view RC in a totally different light, and made me look forward to my upcoming cruise with Oasis a lot more than I did, and I am sure I will spend way more than what it cost them to refund me in the future, and ofcourse talk good of them to followers, customers etc. so It will definitely be worth it for them. So a happy ending to a sad story! 

YIPPEE !!  I am so happy to hear the good news.  It took a while...but eventually it turned your way.  AWESOME !

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

YIPPEE !!  I am so happy to hear the good news.  It took a while...but eventually it turned your way.  AWESOME !

Thank you, I am really happy. And RC made me an Ambassador instead of a digruntled customer by doing this, so I am sure it will be worth it for them in the end. So I am staying in the community 😊

15 hours ago, Plasticbrain said:

Thank you, I am really happy. And RC made me an Ambassador instead of a digruntled customer by doing this, so I am sure it will be worth it for them in the end. So I am staying in the community 😊

This is so good. I always feel terrible when first timers have a bad experience, especially something as big as this. Glad they worked it out and you have a much better outcome!! 

On 1/26/2024 at 7:12 AM, Plasticbrain said:

Got repsonse, no they do not cover it. Oh well. I will survive losing 400$ even if it is super annoying, and I think RC should have covered it. But the fact that they cancelled the trip, and offered no other same itineary is sad. Oh well. I am still doing 1 (my first ever) cruise this year in July from Barcelona so at least I have a week on Oasis with my kids and my mom to look forward to 🥰

I got shafted in a similar way when RCL made my Greek island cruise a charter fairly close to sailing.  The problem was American Airlines allowed me a credit equal to the airfare paid but only valid for TRAVEL 1 year from the original booking date.  I had 4 months to TRAVEL on $4,000 worth of airfare.  Since AA offered a short fuse credit RCL wouldn't help bear the airfare expense and neither would the travel insurance company.  I think this is a real loophole that should be closed on behalf of paying passengers.  The conversion to charter is a a fairly common occurrence with RCL.  This practice shouldn't be allowed within 12 months of sailing.  I also got burned on a sailing change on Navigator similar to you.  I'm on Explorer 6 months after your booking and am crossing my fingers.

On 3/20/2024 at 6:21 PM, Plasticbrain said:

Good to hear!

I'm really surprised that Oslo office refused in first. I had a little misunderstanding with them. They wanted to cover only 500 EUR instead  of 1200 EUR. But after second e-mail they covered all I expected. And all this happened in 15 days.

And I don’t how, but somehow in middle off all this mess and frustration I made two new booking for next year with RCL.

Would you believe my bad luck?!: I was supposed to spend 4 days driving around Romania  (he drives, i do not) with my best friend from today to sunday, but he got stomach flu so we had to cancel, so long story short I lost another 500$... and thats 2 of 4 trips this year cancelled... i am apparently not supposed to travel without my kids this year (luckily the 2 trips I am doing with them, Cruise in July and Cyprus in october is still on...) 

*crawling under a rock to hibernate*

• 3 weeks later...

Today I opened my email inbox amd there were 8 mails from Royal with the topic "Change confirmation" and my first thought was "Nooooooo not again!" I opened the first of the email fearing the worst, but this time I was lucky, all 8 mails (2 each for the 4 of us, for some reason) had the same content - one of our excursions now start at 08.30 instead of 08 40 😅, I mean I would have been fine with them telling me this onboard in July... oh well, just happy it was not another cancellation 🤣

6 minutes ago, Plasticbrain said:

Today I opened my email inbox amd there were 8 mails from Royal with the topic "Change confirmation" and my first thought was "Nooooooo not again!" I opened the first of the email fearing the worst, but this time I was lucky, all 8 mails (2 each for the 4 of us, for some reason) had the same content - one of our excursions now start at 08.30 instead of 08 40 😅, I mean I would have been fine with them telling me this onboard in July... oh well, just happy it was not another cancellation 🤣

Glad it turned out to be just a minor change!