My Solo Cruise on the New Celebrity Ascent January 28 2024 – February 4, 2024: 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

MaryS

A little about me:  I am 61 but still think I’m in my 40’s (don’t know where those 20 years went).   Grew up on Long Island, moved to the suburbs of Philadelphia 30 years ago.  Still can’t get rid of my NY accent and I will always drive like I’m from LI. 

I love sailing solo!  This will be my 7th solo cruise (4 on Royal & 3 on Celebrity).  I have traveled with my parents many times when they were alive and blame the travel bug on them.  I sometimes travel with 1 or both of my sisters but I didn’t want to this time (I didn’t even tell them until after I booked, sorry not sorry).  My 1st solo cruise was on the Celebrity Summit in 2018.  I have sailed on the Summit 2 times from Cape Liberty NJ to Bermuda and have enjoyed the Celebrity experience. 

The past 2 years I have sailed the Anthem Christmas cruise from Cape Liberty NJ but the 2023 cruise was double the price so no Xmas cruise for me😞.  Normally I’m not able to travel Jan – March due work (I’m a corporate controller for a hotel development and management company for the past 32 years).   We have sold our hotels so my 2023 work load has been very light (not complaining at least I still get paid).   Now I can finally book a winter cruise! 

In October I booked the Celebrity Ascent January 282024 – February 4, 2024 7 Day Eastern Caribbean.  I picked this cruise for the itinerary not realizing that it’s a new ship.  I originally booked an ocean view cabin on deck 3 (veranda is not in my budget traveling solo on Celebrity).   I saw that a Panoramic Ocean view cabin (floor to ceiling window) on deck 6 was available and paid just a little more for it.  I have also put in Move Up bids for all veranda class cabins (Infinite, Concierge, Sunset and Aqua).  Suite Move up wasn’t offered.  Oh well I wouldn’t know what to do with a suite anyway🙃.  Who am I kidding I would love a suite.  People on our FB group started getting their upgrade emails Christmas week.  Sadly, no email for me but my status still says “pending” (I really want Aqua class). 

Itinerary:

Flying in on Saturday Jan 27 on American Airlines Philadelphia to Fort Lauderdale.  I’m staying at the AC Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport Hotel using my Bonvoy points. 

Sun 28 Jan         Fort Lauderdale - Florida ---                    3:30 PM

Mon 29 Jan       At Sea --- ---

Tues 30 Jan       San Juan - Puerto Rico                3:30 PM 10:00 PM         no plans will just walk around

Wed 31 Jan        Tortola - B.V.I.                          8:00 AM 6:00 PM           Ultimate Beach Experience: Relax at Long Bay Beach- Beef Island

Thurs 01 Feb     Basseterre - St Kitts & Nevis       7:00 AM 5:00 PM           excursion: Scenic Railway Tour

Fri 02 Feb         At Sea --- ---

Sat 03 Feb         At Sea --- ---

Sun 04 Feb        Fort Lauderdale - Florida            7:00 AM

Flight home at 12:00 from Fort Lauderdale

I am Diamond on RC therefore I am Elite on Celebrity.  On Celebrity you do not get drink vouchers but you do get free drinks from a specified menu (very limited) from 5PM to 7PM at most bars but not in the MDR.  You also get 30% off on WiFi package.

I love Black Friday sales!  I was able to get the Premium Beverage Package for $54.99 per day (originally $99.99) and WiFi 1 device for $15.99 per day (originally $34.99) and my St Kitts & Tortola excursions 50% off!

Packing:

I am the classic over packer!  I will have my 29” checked bag and my 21” carry on.  My biggest problem is keeping the big bag under 50lbs!  It’s only clothes, toiletries and sunscreen lots of sunscreen (I have blue eyes, freckles and reddish brown hair so I burn and add on to the freckles).

20240119_174217881_iOS.thumb.jpg.1e92042de765f1cd00d2c33877e92677.jpg

4 hours ago, MaryS said:

A little about me:  I am 61 but still think I’m in my 40’s (don’t know where those 20 years went).   Grew up on Long Island, moved to the suburbs of Philadelphia 30 years ago.  Still can’t get rid of my NY accent and I will always drive like I’m from LI. 

Have an amazing time! 😎

My wife and I have lived on Long Island our whole lives (wife grew up in Farmingdale and I'm from Smithtown), but do not see us retiring here. We toy with the idea of moving down south... maybe Florida! Need to be closer to those ports and amusement parks! 😆

4 hours ago, MaryS said:

I would love it if Edge Class went to Bermuda from Bayonne or anywhere from Bayonne😄

Us too! Would also love for Royal to add Bermuda back to the Anthem, Odyssey, etc., itineraries. We've sailed Explorer and Liberty to Bermuda... time for a newer ship! I remember Anthem used to periodically sail to Bermuda.

Getting tired of the Port Canaveral/Nassau/Coco Cay itineraries on the larger ships out of Bayonne (I know they're limited for 7-night sailings). Also, Tortola and St. Kitts & Nevis sound amazing!

10 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

My wife and I have lived on Long Island our whole lives (wife grew up in Farmingdale and I'm from Smithtown), but do not see us retiring here. We toy with the idea of moving down south... maybe Florida! Need to be closer to those ports and amusement parks! 😆

I grew up in Mineola and Oceanside.  Last November was my 1st time back to LI in 20 years (uncles 80th Bday party).  Almost all of the family moved and never had a reason to go back.  I really don't miss it.  What I do miss is how close the beaches were.   Now I have to drive an hour to get to the northern part of the Jersey shore.  I am also thinking about moving down south to Florida probably in the next 2-3 years.  

Fellow Long Islander here! Currently enjoying a solo cabin on the Ascent (as you know) and we are just going to miss each other when I disembark and you embark! Really looking forward to your blog and hearing all about your cabin, it sounds amazing. I also really like your itinerary, completely different than the one we're doing right now. Safe travels! ( I love cruising solo and do it all the time.)

3 minutes ago, She Sails Away said:

Fellow Long Islander here! Currently enjoying a solo cabin on the Ascent (as you know) and we are just going to miss each other when I disembark and you embark! Really looking forward to your blog and hearing all about your cabin, it sounds amazing. I also really like your itinerary, completely different than the one we're doing right now. Safe travels! ( I love cruising solo and do it all the time.)

I love reading your blog and seeing your pictures🙂.  It is helping me get through this week (forget about working I'm basically useless and already in vacation mode). 

1 hour ago, MaryS said:

I grew up in Mineola and Oceanside.  Last November was my 1st time back to LI in 20 years (uncles 80th Bday party).  Almost all of the family moved and never had a reason to go back.  I really don't miss it.  What I do miss is how close the beaches were.   Now I have to drive an hour to get to the northern part of the Jersey shore.  I am also thinking about moving down south to Florida probably in the next 2-3 years.  

We love the beaches, East End (Hamptons, Montauk, wineries), restaurants, and proximity to NYC, but after a lifetime here we're going to be ready for a change when we retire down the road! 😃

Sailing solo sounds really adventurous to me!  I would love to try it someday!  
But right now it seems all my traveling is either with my husband and our friends (he keeps wondering when it will be just the 2 of us…lol!) or with our entire family (kids, their spouses, their kids) and adding in some of hubby’s family members!  
Note to self…definitely need to do a solo cruise soon!

Staying at the AC Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport.  Hotel has a free airport shuttle and only had a 5 minute wait.  Hotel is only 2 years old and is next door to the Marriott full service.  Both hotels share a nice size common pool on the 5th floor.  Room is a nice size and the staff very friendly.  The hotel also has a shuttle to the cruise port for $20 and leaves at 10, 12 & 1:30.

20240127_211134649_iOS.jpg

20240127_202544310_iOS.jpg

20240127_200259186_iOS.jpg

20240127_200220072_iOS.jpg

Had dinner in the Normandy dining room and totally forgot to take pictures.  Had scallops as an appetizer and the duck breast .  Both were very good.  Didn’t have a reservation and didn’t have to wait.  Service was excellent.

Hanging out in the martini bar area enjoying a coconut cream-tiniIMG_8498.thumb.jpeg.63a53b66343465923e1deb3bc49e0374.jpegIMG_8499.thumb.jpeg.c41a9116d3a45d94487c77ffebb0f450.jpeg 

Day 2- sea day

Got up early (7:15) and walked my 3 miles then hit up the Oceanview Cafe for breakfast.    It was already a zoo.  I always forget how early the passengers get up on Celebrity.   I finally remembered to take a picture of food.  Went to the top tier event where they honored a double zenith couple.  went to pool deck after and plenty of seats in the sun/ Shade.  Got all set up and put on extra sunscreen and of course the black clouds roll in fast and torrential downpours.  Old people can sure move fast when the rain starts 🤣.  Went to the Oceanview along with everyone else on the ship.  Of course I forgot to take pictures of my food.  They had bbq chicken which was really good.

Sun finally came out again spent the rest of the afternoon lounging.  In the pool area they do not have bar staff walking around.  They have a rolling kart with beer, wine, water and some other stuff IMG_8507.thumb.jpeg.4b95d5c51293259cbfc11c702f093a9d.jpeg

IMG_8503.thumb.jpeg.faa8d1189c3d668126c10273bc4d2a61.jpeg

1 hour ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Wow definitely looks like an older crowd on this ship!  Or perhaps just the older folks enjoy theatre?

Definitely an older crowd.  Lots of walkers and scooters.  I was at the 9:30 show and that was standing room.  I think the average age is around 75.