Holiday features?

RCIfan1912

Now that we are getting closer to our Anthem cruise, gonna make final payment this week, I noticed on the app that the MDR lists the menu for each night. We sail February 25th to match 3rd. On day 5 it says "holiday specials". I assume that's a special menu for holidays but we aren't on a holiday cruise as far as I know? The menu does seem a bit upscale but again we aren't on a holiday cruise that I'm aware of. I'm confused. 

6 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Now that we are getting closer to our Anthem cruise, gonna make final payment this week, I noticed on the app that the MDR lists the menu for each night. We sail February 25th to match 3rd. On day 5 it says "holiday specials". I assume that's a special menu for holidays but we aren't on a holiday cruise as far as I know? The menu does seem a bit upscale but again we aren't on a holiday cruise that I'm aware of. I'm confused. 

Are you sailing over Valentine's Day ?  I think they usually have some special meal for VD.

15 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh maybe, it's seems like a Thanksgiving dinner. Roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce. I'm confused. 

Betting you're seeing the menus for the current cruise.  Is Thanksgiving day 5 for the current cruise on your ship?  It's been commonly reported that to figure out the menus for your own cruise, you either have to look at the menus while the ship is cruising an identical itinerary, or you have to select your actual sailing.  (And I'm sorry but I don't remember the details of how to do that but there are posts about it.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 7:51 AM, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh maybe, it's seems like a Thanksgiving dinner. Roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce. I'm confused. 

Just be thankful you don’t have that absolutely horrific Thanksgiving dinner on the menu when you sail. The only think actually more disgusting then the Thanksgiving dinner was the dessert. They tried to get fancy with a slice of pumpkin cheesecake but IMHO it was an epic fail. What happened to real pumpkin pie with a giant blob of whip cream on top? 

44 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Just be thankful you don’t have that absolutely horrific Thanksgiving dinner on the menu when you sail. The only think actually more disgusting then the Thanksgiving dinner was the dessert. They tried to get fancy with a slice of pumpkin cheesecake but IMHO it was an epic fail. What happened to real pumpkin pie with a giant blob of whip cream on top? 

Holy cow, what was so bad about the thanksgiving dinner? That's just nuts. Was that consensus of most people or at least everyone in you party? 

11 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Holy cow, what was so bad about the thanksgiving dinner? That's just nuts. Was that consensus of most people or at least everyone in you party? 

Turkey is dry, stuffing has no taste, dessert is a cut rate version of pumpkin pie. Yes, it’s the general consensus of my family and I’m guessing most others. I personally refuse to eat the turkey dinner and opt for the “chops” selections on the MDR menu but even that option has soured. I promise I’m not a complainer and didn’t mention this to the staff or rate anything poorly on the survey. 

28 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Turkey is dry, stuffing has no taste, dessert is a cut rate version of pumpkin pie. Yes, it’s the general consensus of my family and I’m guessing most others. I personally refuse to eat the turkey dinner and opt for the “chops” selections on the MDR menu but even that option has soured. I promise I’m not a complainer and didn’t mention this to the staff or rate anything poorly on the survey. 

Oh yeah I'm not questioning you or anything, just more curious. That's a shame. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I understand food might be a large percentage of the expense for cruise lines but they shouldn't cut major corners with it. It's what leaves a lasting impression on people on a cruise. It's really shortsighted to do so. 

Now on Liberty in October we thought the food was excellent actually. We didn't have any complaints other than some things worked and others didn't but that was more preference and not everything is gonna be amazing. 

3 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I wonder if it was any different than the regular "Autumn dinner" that they have on the menu regularly. We had that in February and October and both times it was one of my favorite meals of the week. 

@tonyfsu21, I couldn't agree more about the Thanksgiving meal.  A number of years ago we were on NAV and that horrific meal was what initiated our self-imposed ban from the MDR for MANY years.  It sounds like the meal hasn't improved any over the years.  That meal was, by far, the most unappealing and disgusting meal we have ever had on a ship.  I guess we just know to stay away from holiday meals in the MDR....which we have successfully done now for many years.