Ship Model Collectors

Curious how many of you collect the cruise ship models?  Do you store them prominently on a shelf like trophies?  I started cruising in 2018 and mistakenly didn’t get one on my first cruise on Harmony. I have since gotten one on each of the 4 cruises since then. Have myself a little cruise ship shelf on my built in bookcase in the family room. 

I am a collector. However, I didn't start doing this until about 2018, so I am missing Adventure, Enchantment, Brilliance & Mariner. We are booked to go back on Adventure next summer, the other 3, I don't know if I will make it back on them. I do display them on a shelf in our house, along with our crystal blocks. Hubby has his Star Wars collectibles and I have my ships and blocks.

If I ever catch a good price on eBay, I will grab them, otherwise, I might have to make peace with not having all that I have sailed. 😔

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If I ever catch a good price on eBay, I will grab them, otherwise, I might have to make peace with not having all that I have sailed. 😔

yeah I tried to get Harmony off Ebay but it was crazy price.  Guess I will just have to sail it again someday....darn 😂

I’ve decided I’m going to start doing this.  Most of my cruising was done in the 90s as a teen and honestly I don’t even know if they sold them back then.  I was on the Radiance about 10 yrs ago, again, didn’t get one, nor did I when I was on the Oasis in March.  However, I got one of the Voyager in June and will get one on Adventure in 20 days when I board.  I’ve got 3 more planned after that and will likely book another cruise once the 2025 sailings come out.  Not quite sure where I’ll display the, though, maybe on my built-ins as well.  I also keep my Sea Pass cards.

I have 2 family members who cruise WAY more than I do so I’m sure I can get one of them to get me a Radiance and Oasis model if they sail on them before I do.

5 minutes ago, texaskstar said:

Most of my cruising was done in the 90s as a teen and honestly I don’t even know if they sold them back then.

I have also wondered when Royal started doing this. 3 of the ships that I am missing (Adventure, Enchantment, Brilliance), I sailed those ships in 2002, 2003, 2005 and I don't recall seeing them. Now, I wasn't a cruise nut/addict back then, but I still cannot recall seeing them anywhere.

13 minutes ago, PatsFanBrian said:

I only started a couple of years ago.  I only have 3 out of 8 so far.  Have then on a bookshelf in my office.

I'll never understand why Royal doesn't offer them for sale on the web, otherwise I'd already have all the ones I want.  I'll just get them when I can.

Agreed, seems like a way they could make some extra money selling merchandise online. 

24 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I have also wondered when Royal started doing this. 3 of the ships that I am missing (Adventure, Enchantment, Brilliance), I sailed those ships in 2002, 2003, 2005 and I don't recall seeing them. Now, I wasn't a cruise nut/addict back then, but I still cannot recall seeing them anywhere.

I sailed on Rhapsody 3 times in the 90s, that’s the one ship from that time period I could still get.  I also sailed on Splendor which is no longer in the fleet and there may have been a 3rd, but I can’t remember.

15 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

Agreed, seems like a way they could make some extra money selling merchandise online. 

So the argument against this is instead of you being able to go online and order one from Royal, you actually have book a cruise plus spend $50 for the ship.  Even if you could increase ship sales by 10X, that isn’t going to make Royal more money.  While frustrating for fans/collectors like us, it is in Royal’s best interest to only sell these on the ships.

16 minutes ago, texaskstar said:

So the argument against this is instead of you being able to go online and order one from Royal, you actually have book a cruise plus spend $50 for the ship.  Even if you could increase ship sales by 10X, that isn’t going to make Royal more money.  While frustrating for fans/collectors like us, it is in Royal’s best interest to only sell these on the ships.

I guess I just see it differently. For one, I wouldn’t want to buy one that I haven’t been on.  Maybe some people would, but not sure the point of having a ship you haven’t been on. I would think it would just be additional sales of people who didn’t think about it that first cruise like me. Also, I would think them selling logo shirts and other stuff would be great marketing. Again, I’m not going to not go on a cruise because I can buy a sweatshirt online. 

17 minutes ago, texaskstar said:

I see your logic, but my counter is

1. Literally no one is going to book a cruise just to purchase a model.
  2. Many people have reported that the models are not available when they are on a ship, so what are they to do in that case?

It is what it is, It's Royal's decision to make, I just don't agree with it.

1 hour ago, PatsFanBrian said:

I see your logic, but my counter is

1. Literally no one is going to book a cruise just to purchase a model.
  2. Many people have reported that the models are not available when they are on a ship, so what are they to do in that case?

It is what it is, It's Royal's decision to make, I just don't agree with it.

I assure you that your #1 is absolutely not true.  It may not be a large number, but there are people that choose cruises for much pettier and crazier reasons.  

But if you’re want a model of Ship X and you see a weekend cruise on that Ship pop up, it might just be enough to get you to book it.  I’m not saying it’s the sole reason, but for a much larger group of people it could be enough to get them to book a cruise they previously hadn’t planned on booking or it could be enough to get them to choose one cruise over another.

6 hours ago, Rakaia said:

My daughter is just starting her collection 🙂  Next additions will be Odyssey (and MSC Meraviglia.......😬)

We also have a mini fleet on our Christmas tree.  

20230825_115418.jpg

Nice!  When are you going on Odyssey?  I will be on that one in about 3 weeks!  And definitely getting my ship model on day 1 😂

I don't collect the large cruise ship but I do have a small collection of the cruise ship Christmas ornaments. But Royal doesn't always have the smaller Christmas ornaments available on every ship.

What I do have saved from every single cruise I've ever taken including those on NCL, MSC and yes even my one and only Carnival cruise are my sea pass cards.