So I decided to tip bartenders and this is my conclusion

Morganno

20 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I don’t consider what they make in their home country as a base line at all. If you take into account the volume of work and the type of work (across the board) this boils down to slave labor by US standards. We are not talking unionized wages and any bargaining unit agreement for these workers. The tips are greatly appreciated by them for the hard work they do and I’m sure it goes a long way when they send the money home. 

And the money made is not spent in the US but in the crews home countries.  You MUST take this into account if you are throwing around terms like "slave wages"

Hypothetical scenario:  Young TONYFSU21 is given the opportunity to go to Dubai and work as house staff for a wealthy family.  They promise you at the end of your 9 month commitment, they will send you home with the same amount of money that it would take 2 years to make at home in the USA. 

Would you consider these slave wages, simply because the family could afford to pay you more, or are you incredibly grateful to be 12-15 months ahead financially and sign up for another contract?

Judging by the vast number of returning crew members, if you are honest with yourself, the answer is the latter. You aren't staying in Dubai, so why make that your barometer?

5 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

And the money made is not spent in the US but in the crews m countries.  You MUST take this into account if you are throwing around terms like "slave wages"

Hypothetical scenario:  Young TONYFSU21 is given the opportunity to go to Dubai and work as house staff for a wealthy family.  They promise you at the end of your 9 month commitment, they will send you home with the same amount of money that it would take 2 years to make at home in the USA. 

Would you consider these slave wages, simply because the family could afford to pay you more, or are you incredibly grateful to be 12-15 months ahead financially and sign up for another contract?

Judging by the vast number of returning crew members, if you are honest with yourself, the answer is the latter. You aren't staying in Dubai, so why make that your barometer?

I stand by the term “slave wages” for sure but I tip them as much as I can and sleep good at night. I also don’t want to argue as this topic certainly pisses people off. It’s Friday and young TONYFSU21 is looking for a kracken Pina colada. 

IMG_2843.jpeg

8 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I really don’t think the commonly used term “slave wages” is by any mean offensive. To each his or her own. Good evening. 

I certainly don't think there is any intent to offend with the term, but "low wages" works just as well, is more accurately descriptive and won't offend.

There's an awful lot of commonly used American English phrases that are plenty offensive even when there is no intent to offend or offer it in that way.

But you are right in your priorities young TONYFSU21, the kraken colada is the right move.  Enjoy your trip sir!

• 2 weeks later...