Bringing back sand from Bahamas to the US

It is interesting to see that this link says you can, and when I clicked on the seashells link on the side  it also said you can.
I know you cannot bring sea shells OUT of Caribbean nations.  Plenty of people in Aruba have received cash/on the spot fines.  When we flew out of there the gate agent for Jetblue was sure to ask us if we had sea shells and then explained how it would cost of loads of money if caught.  The secruity at CoCocay and Bahamas remove seashells from passengers too.
So I'm thinking "beware" what seems "ok" in our country for import does not necessarily mean it is "ok" for export from another country.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Can-I-bring-into-the-country-sand-or-ocean-sediment-from-another-country

2 hours ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

There is a sea shell ban? I have never been asked, when did this start?

You can buy seashells in gift shops and bring them back, for the most part (save receipts).  You are not supposed to remove shells, etc. from beaches.  I tend to buy stuff in US possessions/states rather than foreign countries just to make sure they are approved by customs.  Having said all of that, years ago I used to bring back "dead" shells and coral for office gifts.  That is a no-no today.  Too much illegal harvesting of live coral out there.....

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

You can buy seashells in gift shops and bring them back, for the most part (save receipts).  You are not supposed to remove shells, etc. from beaches.  I tend to buy stuff in US possessions/states rather than foreign countries just to make sure they are approved by customs.  Having said all of that, years ago I used to bring back "dead" shells and coral for office gifts.  That is a no-no today.  Too much illegal harvesting of live coral out there.....

Good to know! thank you, my youngest son always brings back to the ship half the beach !

Mitch

19 hours ago, crazy4disney said:

I thought it was okay to bring back sand, that it's just shells and coral that you're not allowed to bring back because of possible critters.

There could also be microscopic critters living in the sand. 

1 hour ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Possible in a sandy loam. A clay loam is better for root anchorage. 
It feasible to grow almonds in a different soil/climate within U.S.  I would not be in California. 

Now if you could just find a way to grow almonds (or anything else, FTM) without any water you'd be golden in the golden state !  

Sorry....bad joke...