Traffic Warning: I-45 scheduled to be closed this weekend

I was just travelling down I-45 at NASA Road 1 in Webster.  There's a construction sign that says the freeway will be closed July 22 & 23.  It didn't say why nor did it say exactly where, but it appears they will install a sign bridge covering both directions just south of the NASA 1 exit.

My usual alternate, State Highway 146 might not help much.  That road is down to 1 lane northbound.  Southbound isn't too bad though and makes a good alternate for people going Galveston from Bush airport or driving in from out of town.

For people going northbound from Galveston, check Google maps.  You'll probably want to exit the freeway near FM 646 or State Highway 96. Turn right and proceed to State Highway 3.  Turn left and proceed to the NASA 1 bypass (this is a decent sized freeway with traffic lights). Once on NASA 1 bypass, you'll immediately see a ramp to I45 north.

According to the sign, it will be the main lanes of the freeway and will cover all day both days.  The sign was after the HOV ends.

That being said, is very common for TxDOT to deploy these signs and then fail to actually close the road.  Therefore, it is hard to say if it will really happen or not.

If I find out anything further, I will update this thread.  

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Are you sure it's fully closed, specifically during the day? Night closures I can see, but it's pretty rare for main highways to be closed during the day.

Not in Texas, they do they absolute dumbest crap I've ever seen regarding road construction.  I've been driving through the Fort Worth construction three times a week on 35W that they started 20 years ago and still haven't finished.   

6 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

Not in Texas, they do they absolute dumbest crap I've ever seen regarding road construction.  I've been driving through the Fort Worth construction three times a week on 35W that they started 20 years ago and still haven't finished.   

Wow! They're ahead of schedule! LOL!

In comparison, Cabeza de Vaca was shipwrecked in Galveston in November 1528.  He marched his men inland. When they reached Dickinson Bayou they dropped a tree across to ford the river.  Once across, de Vaca announced "We must improve this route!"

I-45 has been under construction ever since.

I just passed the sign again and looked at it a bit more carefully. It said "Freeway Closed 7/22/2023 6am to 7/23/2023 1pm."

I also noticed that a crane has been assembled near the sign bridge supports, so I really do think they will perform this work as threatened.  If they really are installing the bridge, the supports are on either side of the freeway. The freeway is at least 10 lanes wide, so I estimate about 175 feet of bridge to install.  This will take quite a while to complete and will require an entire freeway closure.  However, I expect the feeder roads to remain open.

The good news is they usually finish this type of work early, so it might be fully open on Sunday morning. Or maybe not. Be sure to check Google maps.

1 hour ago, steverk said:

I just passed the sign again and looked at it a bit more carefully. It said "Freeway Closed 7/22/2023 6am to 7/23/2023 1pm."

I also noticed that a crane has been assembled near the sign bridge supports, so I really do think they will perform this work as threatened.  If they really are installing the bridge, the supports are on either side of the freeway. The freeway is at least 10 lanes wide, so I estimate about 175 feet of bridge to install.  This will take quite a while to complete and will require an entire freeway closure.  However, I expect the feeder roads to remain open.

The good news is they usually finish this type of work early, so it might be fully open on Sunday morning. Or maybe not. Be sure to check Google maps.

Even the Port has posted about it, so I think it will definitely happen. I saw the crane this morning as well. Glad I don't work weekends and won't be trying to get on the island!

Untitled.jpg.062f81c26eb00bde007980b6dccd9f64.jpg