Am I Burned Toast?

deep1

I think I know the answer already but I'll ask... I always pick my own balcony room and pay in full at booking time. This sailing was a bit different. I clicked on "Pick your own room" and it defaulted to GTY though the price was higher like normal. A glitch. I decided to book over the phone instead. The agent found the same glitch. I told him that I would book on condition of no deck 6 or obstructed views. He assured me that they would give a good room since I was paying the higher rate and paid in full so early. 

I hated seeing that "GTY" but each time I called they assured me all was good.  To rebook would have cost more than double and I would have lost my balcony deposits and some OBC I have...  

Last night was check in. I was immediately put out of my comfort zone when I saw "deck 6" on my sea pass. I did the ol "wallet" trick and to verify, scanned the bar code and both showed same cabin number...  Over to deck plan and about threw up! You could not be more obstructed view! Lifeboat midships basically touching balcony. Big hydraulic arm center stage. By the up so no view up the side of ship. No view any angle. You tube video verified, possibly worst on ship.  Not only that a privacy issue comes into play. People walking the track a deck below have a pretty clear view of the room via the life boat windows reflecting!

So the question is... Am I doomed to deal with this or is there some appeal process? Open to suggestions...

If you can tell what category the room is, you should be able to move to any open room in that same category (if there are any, might require some checking and rechecking often) 

At least that is what my TA said, we have booked guarantee on a few trips where it was the only option, but have always been fine with what was allotted to never had to test it 

3 minutes ago, Brenna said:

If you can tell what category the room is, you should be able to move to any open room in that same category (if there are any, might require some checking and rechecking often) 

At least that is what my TA said, we have booked guarantee on a few trips where it was the only option, but have always been fine with what was allotted to never had to test it 

Appears they are sold out???  We didn't ask for but room sleeps four which I would think would be in high demand as its the last date before kids go back to school.

11 minutes ago, Brenna said:

I used to book GTY's and switched nearly every sailing. Yes, that's a thing, just has to be the exact same category and of course there has to be availability.

NOTE: Those are US rules. Some other countries (like the UK) don't allow switches.

If there is no availability, there is nothing that can be done. Unfortunately when you book a GTY rate, there is no way for them to really honor requests or promises for decks and views. You are at the mercy of a computer that assigns fairly randomly. I hate to be “that guy” but next time book with a good and reputable TA and this wouldn’t happen. It would have been fixed immediately. I’m a control freak when it comes to planning, but I learned the hard way to go the TA route for cruises. Sorry to hear this happened and hopefully something gets done in your favor 

3 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

If there is no availability, there is nothing that can be done. Unfortunately when you book a GTY rate, there is no way for them to really honor requests or promises for decks and views. You are at the mercy of a computer that assigns fairly randomly. I hate to be “that guy” but next time book with a good and reputable TA and this wouldn’t happen. It would have been fixed immediately. I’m a control freak when it comes to planning, but I learned the hard way to go the TA route for cruises. Sorry to hear this happened and hopefully something gets done in your favor 

Trip "shows" sold out" but several times it did before, then suddenly there were bunches of rooms up for grabs. I did book GTY but at the higher rate that was displayed. I book every trip with "I pick" balcony and pay in full right then. This was a glicth. Still its GTY... I got this cruise for my Fiancé who in a couple week period had to put her cat down, had her champion show horse ( She's an equestrian pro trainer) die suddenly and then to cap it off lost her mother. This was supposed to be just relaxing cruise to Alaska in tribute to her mom who always wanted to go. 

Had unpleasant experience with TA a while back and slow to go back. 

Toast, likely.

If it's sold out...or you can't show it isn't, little you can do.  Guarantee only assures you no worse than the worst cabin in the category.

That said, we've also had them move cabins--which they will do only if there is an available cabin in the same exact category.  Unfortunately, that bad obstructed view is in a category with only other bad obstructed views.

I usually name my cabin, but, of course, thqt's not always possible.  Now, my Quantum cruise next month, we booked three guarantee cabins (taking the kids)...but, to get around that obstructed view issue, we had our TA book us "Unobstructed" balcony guarantees (yes, they do exist--but usually it takes the TA to get it).  We ultimatelyt got assigned three midship Deck 13 balconies--no obstructions.

We've got guarantees on two legs of the upcoming Serenade World Cruise...and, for those, we're just holding our breath.  Normally, I would have booked my cabins--and being B2B, the same cabin--but, since they sold out most of the ship for the ful 9 months or the larger chunks of it, by the time we booked, it wasn't possible.  I am just prepared, now, for the worst.  But my attitude is that I don't care--I'll learn to make the best of whatever I get.

BTW, if you think there are other cabinbs available, try writing to Michael Bayley and see if his office will help you out.  Explain what you were told and what happened.  Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Toast, likely.

If it's sold out...or you can't show it isn't, little you can do.  Guarantee only assures you no worse than the worst cabin in the category.

That said, we've also had them move cabins--which they will do only if there is an available cabin in the same exact category.  Unfortunately, that bad obstructed view is in a category with only other bad obstructed views.

I usually name my cabin, but, of course, thqt's not always possible.  Now, my Quantum cruise next month, we booked three guarantee cabins (taking the kids)...but, to get around that obstructed view issue, we had our TA book us "Unobstructed" balcony guarantees (yes, they do exist--but usually it takes the TA to get it).  We ultimatelyt got assigned three midship Deck 13 balconies--no obstructions.

We've got guarantees on two legs of the upcoming Serenade World Cruise...and, for those, we're just holding our breath.  Normally, I would have booked my cabins--and being B2B, the same cabin--but, since they sold out most of the ship for the ful 9 months or the larger chunks of it, by the time we booked, it wasn't possible.  I am just prepared, now, for the worst.  But my attitude is that I don't care--I'll learn to make the best of whatever I get.

BTW, if you think there are other cabinbs available, try writing to Michael Bayley and see if his office will help you out.  Explain what you were told and what happened.  Good luck.

I was told by the rep that this one would be obstruction free GTY if I paid the higher figure that kept defaulting.  As for worst... This ones position really is without embellishing the single worst on the whole ship. Close to the hump so we cant look up the side of the ship. Below the water is blocked out by the life boat cradle. above and within reaching distance  is big machinery used to lower or lift the boat. The boat itself blocks view outward or upward. It's midship is two feet  from our balcony.  This is quantum as well... Booked and paid for last April... 

34 minutes ago, deep1 said:

This is quantum as well... 

So, which sailing are you on (We're on August 21)?

Which cabin did you get?

Ours were noted, on the booking, as "4D Ocean View Balcony Guarantee"...What we were assigned were all Category 1D: 13626, 13664 and 13668...If there are negatives, it's that they are under a public deck (Above 13626 is the Noodle Shop and the other two are below the Coastal Kitchen) and that there is an overhang from the wider Deck 14 (a positive if you like shade, a negative if you want more sun...and can affect wide shot photos).  But, overall, we're happy with the assignments.  We like being near the midship elevators for convenience sake.  We don't mind being near the hump...most midship cabins have that issue.  Very few ships have many cabins that can look both directions--You'd have to be at the center of the hump.  And we're happy that all three cabins are fairly close in proximity.

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, which sailing are you on (We're on August 21)?

Which cabin did you get?

Ours were noted, on the booking, as "4D Ocean View Balcony Guarantee"...What we were assigned were all Category 1D: 13626, 13664 and 13668...If there are negatives, it's that they are under a public deck (Above 13626 is the Noodle Shop and the other two are below the Coastal Kitchen) and that there is an overhang from the wider Deck 14 (a positive if you like shade, a negative if you want more sun...and can affect wide shot photos).  But, overall, we're happy with the assignments.  We like being near the midship elevators for convenience sake.  We don't mind being near the hump...most midship cabins have that issue.  Very few ships have many cabins that can look both directions--You'd have to be at the center of the hump.  And we're happy that all three cabins are fairly close in proximity.

We go Aug 28...

We were supposed to be 2D which is a double and no obstruction. 

Instead we got 1 E quad full obstructed view.  #6664

Were next to the hump so cant see forward and heavy machinery blocks all view aft.

Searched for 6664...Couldn't find photos or videos.  These were taken from 6668 (two cabins down so probably not much different):

ImageUploadedByForums1416443571.761764.jpg.9fd5a5680c87dd976679fd30de45f3d6.jpg  ImageUploadedByForums1416443604.892018.jpg.583753ab09bdf586596b1761170e3e73.jpg

Personally, I'd be VERY UPSET with that view...

Do you have ANYTHING in writing that states "2D Guarantee"???  If so, I would contact ichael Bayley's office immediately.  Send a long explanation and COPY your 2D Guarantee confirmation.  Either they should move you to a better cabin IF or WHEN one is available (and a good chance someone cancels between now and August 28) or they should compensate you in some other way.  I made it a MAJOR point that my bookings had to be Unobstructed guarantees (and got that in writing on my confirmations)...and if they gave me what you got, they would never hear the end of it...

Searched for 6664...Couldn't find photos or videos.  These were taken from 6668 (two cabins down so probably not much different):

ImageUploadedByForums1416443571.761764.jpg.9fd5a5680c87dd976679fd30de45f3d6.jpg  ImageUploadedByForums1416443604.892018.jpg.583753ab09bdf586596b1761170e3e73.jpg

Personally, I'd be VERY UPSET with that view...

Do you have ANYTHING in wriying that states "2D Guarantee"???  If so, I would contact ichael Bayley's office immediately.  Send a long explanation and COPY your 2D Guarantee confirmation.  Either they should move you to a better cabin IF or WHEN one is available (and a good chance someone cancels between now and August 28) or they should compensate you in some other way.  I made it a MAJOR point that my bookings had to be Unobstructed guarantees (and got that in writing on my confirmations)...and if they gave me what you got, they would never hear the end of it...

At least from his room you can see something past the end of the life boat. Mine doesn't even have that much! Add in two crane arms within inches of the balcony itself and you can see why its so upsetting.  Like you I was quite clear "NO deck 6!!!! No obstructions!". This room is worse than obstructed! Letters all sent. Some responses coming through already. No rooms to swap out for at this time. They know they blew it on this one and they are all about switching my room if they can find one...  NOW lets hope someone cancels.  

I'd hate to be on the wrong side of me. I simply do not lose when I'm in the right... 

BTW, what we are going to have to cope with on Deck 13 is not only the overhang...but this:

Quantum%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSeas%2BAnthem%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSeas%2BOverhang%2B3.jpg

...the POLES that support the overhang...

But, it is what it is--We'll just learn to live with it...There is plenty else to enjoy on the cruise

Wow... thats awful... I'm a nice guy, I'm willing to give up my palace and endure what you got... 😄

Interesting day.... Had some nasty little rep create a false invoice showing that I had booked the no view in question.  When I forwarded her invoice next to the real invoice from March her supervisor was not impressed. Seems she forgot to change booking date from today to the real date.😑

Made lots of inroads with a resolution supervisor working on a couple ways to fix. Will take some time to get things right. In the mean time Royal Up cancelled my bid "Because my reservation changed"????? (Might be something the girl did?). When asked what changed, they had no answer and bids were put back in place. They see their mistake and I'm waitlisted for agreed on unit category.  One of the things I need to keep doing is looking for any ocean view balconies to become available. They have no really quick way to notify you that one opened up.  I just missed one last night... Just gotta keep calling and checking the booking screen.

Made friends with a lovely gal from MEI. Too late in the game for them to help but she has earned a shot at doing future projects for me... 

10 hours ago, deep1 said:

Same thing happened to the royal up cancelling my bids today. They say my reservation was modified since yesterday???? RCCL verified again it wasn't modified?  Any ideas?

I would say the customer service representative's definition of "modified" is something was visibly changed (a cabin reassignment, etc).  However, their computer software's definition of "modified" probably just means someone pressed "save" regardless of whether anything actually changed (and "save" might even happen auto-magically when someone opens and closes a reservation).  So they can both be right and the software is also probably just doing its job when it auto-magically cancels Royal Ups for reservations that have been "modified".  Of course, you HAVE asked for them to work on your reservation which is probably incompatible (from the software's perspective) with maintaining a Royal Up.  So I would recommend that you'll have to pick which path you want to continue.

Things that make you say hmmm.  Cancellations taking place. I'm waitlisted for first non obstructed ocean view balcony that comes up.  The Hmmm... The cancellations are all being reassigned as GTY and no way to tell what their real class is or if obstructed or not??? According to the resolution team every last cancellation has been "obstructed"... Then after numerous cancellations by Royal Up they have ADDED non obstructed oceanview balconies to their offerings???? IF there were indeed no balconies available aboard why would they add that category???

18 minutes ago, deep1 said:

IF there were indeed no balconies available aboard why would they add that category???

Royal Up regularly offer the opportunity to bid on categories that aren't currently available so they're ready to cash in on any last minute (up to and including day of) cancelations and no-shows.  That's why and how people get RUs accepted the day of their cruise, and sometimes even after they've already boarded!  In other words, seeing a category available for bid in Royal Up is in no away indicator that that class cabin is currently available. 

36 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Royal Up regularly offer the opportunity to bid on categories that aren't currently available so they're ready to cash in on any last minute (up to and including day of) cancelations and no-shows.  That's why and how people get RUs accepted the day of their cruise, and sometimes even after they've already boarded!  In other words, seeing a category available for bid in Royal Up is in no away indicator that that class cabin is currently available. 

Whats confusing is that they only added that option yesterday??? Same exact time as RCL started selling "GTY balconies". 

Dang...if I were a betting man, I would wager that beyond all of the frustration that you will find a way to beat them...ultimately, I hope you give the MEI TA a chance with a future booking. It was hard for me to let go of what I thought was control when I quit booking on my own. Ultimately I got more control with a whole lot less effort and angst. Good TAs earn their commission, which I think needs to be higher because of how much better they make their cruise line partners look.