Explorer of Seas — poor experience

we’ll just off this ship on sunday and i think i made a mistake first ever cruise on wonder of seas last year then in this last week the standards are night and day 

(1) issue with my room - mechanical noise all night in roof space ( deck 7) couldn’t sort it and couldn’t move us as said ship full

(2) Guest services atrocious and not interested 

(3) no proper live shows like wonder of seas

(4)  toilet urinals not dispersing on several floors

(5)  my time dining went at 745pm one night couldn’t get booked waited till 915pm to get seated at 945pm still no food as was other guests next to us.  - 1 server.  had to go and hunt down restaurant manager to sort 

(6) Barr montenegro was ships first visit to this port. why no KOTOR.  don’t bother getting off ship 

i have sent a complaint to   RC customer services whilst i was cruising. be interesting how long they take to address it.      stateroom floor manager thought he was at an auction offering me 10% then 15 then 20% off next cruise.    don’t think so !!!! paltry few hundred  off room rate excl taxes in next cruise 

won’t be on these size or class again.    shambles

It is a tough ask to compare an older ship to the newest in the fleet.  I'm sorry it didn't work out.

As a suggestion for any future cruise. I always bring a sound machine (or just use my phone these days) to use on the cruise.  There are any number of things that can create noise in a cabin when trying to sleep - most are not preventable and the ship will not have extra rooms available.

The contrast effect makes a big difference -- has been studied by psychologists since the 1920s.  So when you know you are on an older ship, you do need to refocus your expectations.  That's no excuse for poor service, but experienced cruisers have learned to ask for a supervisor.  Sounds like you tried that at least once.  I actually prefer the shows on smaller ships - more singing and dancing.  I agree that MTD often doesn't work the way it is supposed to, which is why we request traditional dining.  It locks in our dinner time.  There are always some ports that are less appealing than others, which is why some preparation is helpful when visiting a new country.  I find that I can always learn something special about a new culture.  I hope your next vacation, whatever you choose to do, is more enjoyable.  I appreciate your effort in reporting your experience.  

We also bring a sound machine too.  Love it!  

We never do mytime dining because we always see the lines of people waiting.  Get a traditional dining time.  They have two options and they are decent options.  I never understood the need for mytime dining......but that's just us and how we cruise.  Dining complaints always seem to come from mytime dining too.....not traditional dining.

Having been on smaller, older ships and now larger, newer ships......it's like comparing a 2023 Porsche SUV to a 2012 Ford SUV......You have to manage expectations and be prepared for things not to be quite as nice and grand.  The newer large ships are just really awesome!  😉  Starting on one of the best and then switching down would be hard.....we did it the other way and glad we did so we can appreciate what each ship has to offer.

Hopefully next time is better and the tips on this site can help with it

I find it’s important when choosing a cabin to ensure there is a cabin on either side of me, and above and below as well.  If there is empty space in any of those places it could be a noisy staff area of mechanical area which can be noise at any given time.  Definitely don’t book just below the pool deck or dining rooms snd be leery of booking above the bars.  
the only “surprise” noise Ive had with my method was anchor noise, so booking all the way forward can mean anchor noise.

so i have only been on 2 cruises wonder of seas and this one. on this cruise     i had a promenade view with a room up above and a room below  there was no reason for the noise !!!    i totally now agree with above comment re going for wonder of seas to this ship the class is night and day however the level of service at guest services etc should be same 

They changed the itinerary just a few days before we left on the cruise. It wasn’t that Southsider was complaining about being disappointed with the original itinerary. The new port was not at all a place that had the same level of guest engagement or opportunity. I completely empathize with their disappointment and frustration. 

13 hours ago, Southsider said:

we’ll just off this ship on sunday and i think i made a mistake first ever cruise on wonder of seas last year then in this last week the standards are night and day 

(1) issue with my room - mechanical noise all night in roof space ( deck 7) couldn’t sort it and couldn’t move us as said ship full

(2) Guest services atrocious and not interested 

(3) no proper live shows like wonder of seas

(4)  toilet urinals not dispersing on several floors

(5)  my time dining went at 745pm one night couldn’t get booked waited till 915pm to get seated at 945pm still no food as was other guests next to us.  - 1 server.  had to go and hunt down restaurant manager to sort 

(6) Barr montenegro was ships first visit to this port. why no KOTOR.  don’t bother getting off ship 

i have sent a complaint to   RC customer services whilst i was cruising. be interesting how long they take to address it.      stateroom floor manager thought he was at an auction offering me 10% then 15 then 20% off next cruise.    don’t think so !!!! paltry few hundred  off room rate excl taxes in next cruise 

won’t be on these size or class again.    shambles

Some of the same issues I experienced on older class ships.  I will pretty much only sail on newer ships.  We did take Brilliiance for 2 weeks last fall for Greece.  And ship was fairly good.   Very few restaurants though and had 3 bad meals in Chops.   But I did book for ports not the ship.  I usually book for the ship. 

1 hour ago, KDK said:

They changed the itinerary just a few days before we left on the cruise. It wasn’t that Southsider was complaining about being disappointed with the original itinerary. The new port was not at all a place that had the same level of guest engagement or opportunity. I completely empathize with their disappointment and frustration. 

Definitely disappointing, but is unfortunately a possibility that all of us should understand can happen for many reasons.  In most cases, you get an extra day at sea, so I would say that any replacement port is better than none.

23 hours ago, KDK said:

I was on your cruise on the same deck. Same issues with ceiling noise and MTD. The MDR food was also pretty disappointing. The Kotor situation was a huge disappointment. I did enjoy the itinerary, however. We think this will be our last cruise with RC.

hi there i sent you a private message