Only one cabin showing available

We have a GTY Oceanview balcony in category 4D for a cruise in 28 days.  We haven't been assigned our room yet, but when I do a dummy booking, only one cabin shows available in that category.  Should I be worried that we'll get bumped from our cruise or are there more rooms actually available than what is showing? Am I overthinking this?

When an overbooking does happen, only a very very very small percentage of the booked passengers are actually affected. Maybe a few dozen versus a ship capacity of 5,500. I’ll take those odds. When you factor in the hundreds of cruises each year that have zero issues with overbooking….your odds of actually being impacted are microscopic. 

3 hours ago, MLH said:

There have been many reports of over booking lately on Rc ships.  I am sailing on Allure May 14th and that sailing has been notified of an ove booking situation and re booking options.

This is my fear. We got such a good deal, I'm worried they'll cancel us first of needed.

27 minutes ago, SofieOnHoliday said:

This is my fear. We got such a good deal, I'm worried they'll cancel us first of needed.

It's my understanding that they solicit volunteers first. So far there have been way more volunteers than necessary,  so it is extremely unlikely you'll be bumped involuntarily. 

For comparison,  I booked a GTY on Navigator 3 months ago. It showed zero cabins for selection when I booked and cabins never appeared.  However,  I was assigned a cabin 2 weeks ago, so no worries. 

22 hours ago, SofieOnHoliday said:

but when I do a dummy booking, only one cabin shows available in that category. 

Be aware that dummy bookings or people shopping an itinerary will impact visible cabin inventory.  The website will hold back a cabin for a time period if someone was in the middle of booking but did not complete.  Think it as the cabin has to be “re-shelved” for display.  The only way to know exactly how many rooms are open is talking with a travel agent or Royal.

29 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

Be aware that dummy bookings or people shopping an itinerary will impact visible cabin inventory.  The website will hold back a cabin for a time period if someone was in the middle of booking but did not complete.  Think it as the cabin has to be “re-shelved” for display.  The only way to know exactly how many rooms are open is talking with a travel agent or Royal.

TA's can also place cabins on hold for 7 days or even longer. For example, my TA currently has a cabin on hold for me for 11 days because as I was getting close to the final decision, he was about to go on vacation for 5 days. He was willing to book it for me while on his vacation but since he was able to get an extended hold, we decided to just take care of it when he returns.

33 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

...BTW, when a cabin is temporarily out of inventory due to the "looking" process you described above, neither a TA nor Royal will be able to see it either.  The only way to see that cabin that is temporarily out of inventory is for it to go back INto inventory and that takes a few minutes (usually 7-10 minutes).

Also keep in mind the public website doesn't display all inventory.  I was able to change cabins recently through an agency while the Royal website didn't offer the cruise as it was "sold out".   For someone booked direct trying to change cabins they would have probably thought there is nothing available, yet there was.  

22 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

TA's can also place cabins on hold for 7 days or even longer. For example, my TA currently has a cabin on hold for me for 11 days because as I was getting close to the final decision, he was about to go on vacation for 5 days. He was willing to book it for me while on his vacation but since he was able to get an extended hold, we decided to just take care of it when he returns.

I wonder if you and I have the same MEI travel agent, as mine too is on vacation during this same stretch... 😉

2 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

I wonder if you and I have the same MEI travel agent, as mine too is on vacation during this same stretch... 😉

Possibly. 😁 This would actually be my first time using him (that narrows it down). I reached out to him almost a year ago after reading good things here and he was very helpful but we ended up not being able to book that cruise. 10 months later, he was happy to look up some stuff for me.

I've almost always just booked myself, using last minute deals or GGG sales since we live an hour from PC and are flexible at certain times of year but now that prices are crazy I decided to explore other options and he had a much better price for this particular cruise than I could get myself.

You will not get your cruise canceled.  If there is really an overbooking situation they will offer passengers incentives to rebook.   They  always have volunteers if this happens.  Plus there are always last minute cancelations.  Not to worry