Galveston - "In Texas Waters" Liquor Brands?

SPS

Last week I booked a cruise on Harmony out of Galveston for January 2024.

Then, a couple days ago I recalled reading that while in port, the drink menu and liquor brands are limited while in Texas waters dues to rules in place by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

Knowing that some of my preferred liquor brands may not be available until 12 nautical miles out, does anyone know what bourbon/whiskey, vodka, and tequila is served while in port?

I saw a "Texas Drink Menu" of beer/wine/cocktails on the cruzely website, but the liquor brands are not specified.

From what I understand the way that TABC has regulated the liquor sales is that Royal has to buy their liquor from a Texas distributer to be able to serve it on the ship while in Texas waters. So it's not actually just Texas brands. Royal Caribbean has obviously purchased a Texas permit and purchases some of its liquor from a Texas distributor allowing them to serve liquor through the drink package while in Texas waters. I'm guessing Carnival decided not to have a Texas permit that's why their drink package goes into effect the next day.

“State law and TABC rules prohibit any practice which could reasonably be interpreted to allow or encourage overconsumption of alcohol. This includes “all you can drink” packages or other promotions which allow unlimited alcohol for a buy-in price. These standards would apply to any alcoholic beverages served or sold within Texas territory, including any waters over which Texas claims jurisdiction. Once a vessel is outside of Texas territory, the state’s laws no longer apply.”

“Like any business which holds a Texas permit to sell alcohol, any alcohol sold by the cruise lines while in Texas must comply with the state’s alcohol laws. Sec. 28.07 of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code requires that any holder of a Mixed Beverage Permit (the permit most commonly used by the cruise lines) must obtain their alcohol inventory from the holder of a Local Distributor’s Permit. Again, once the vessel is in international waters, these requirements no longer apply.”

@Bmac It looks like you may have read the same article as I did, but what I'm really looking for is what the actual "Limited Selection" of liquors is as stated by the sample "Texas Liquor Law menu" below. Having such a menu suggests that maybe not all beverages come from a Texas-based distributor.

(What I'm really trying to find out is if I need to find an alternative to Buffalo Trace for the first few hours!)

image.png.88a0cc2324280d50e75a1364aaed8c94.png

Buffalo trace is very popular here in Texas so I would think it should be available from the start of cruise. It really depends on whether RC has purchased it from a local distributor or not. I've sailed so many times from Galveston but can't remember what was available last time we cruised. We're sailing March 18,  I'll repost here when I can and let you know. Not that it will be the same in 2024.

3 hours ago, Bmac said:

Buffalo trace is very popular here in Texas so I would think it should be available from the start of cruise. It really depends on whether RC has purchased it from a local distributor or not. I've sailed so many times from Galveston but can't remember what was available last time we cruised. We're sailing March 18,  I'll repost here when I can and let you know. Not that it will be the same in 2024.

Appreciate it! Happy cruising!

image.gif.20cb6b0b620017cd47c23277afe4feca.gif

• 1 month later...

I know it's not the information you're looking for, but out of Galveston they are usually in international waters by dinnertime.  So in reality it's only a few hours in which your preferred brand might not be available.  I'll try to remember to get a list of the brands next time, but currently I'm not due out of Galveston again until Nov.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:29 PM, DoomSlayer said:

They have an OK selection while in Texas waters. Good opportunity to try a Shinner Bock if you haven’t before. Good stuff will come out as soon as they reach international waters around 7:30 or 8pm. Like others have said, Royal is just following Texas law, so don’t put blame on them. 

This is the way.  I drink Shiner Bock until we're out to sea, then switch.

To me, it's not even noticeable (probably because I'm not brand-savvy).

• 2 weeks later...