MDR menu question

34 minutes ago, Mistressmashers said:

Does the menu change dally in the MDR on Anthem of the Seas  or are you stuck with the same menu for the whole cruise?

The MDR menu features a different theme every night but also included are their regular nightly standby offerings.    They could include fried shrimp, chicken or a pot roast.  Desserts are repeated nightly.   

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Also it's worth noting that the dinner and lunch menus change. The breakfast menu in MDR remains the same every day.

I know a lot of people like the MDR for breakfast as it's more service oriented and laid back than let's say the Windjammer, but compared to lunch and dinner, I'm not overly impressed with the menu. I know it's just breakfast, but it seems to lack a little imagination and variety. Where's the bcarney special?

1 hour ago, fmanke said:

I know a lot of people like the MDR for breakfast as it's more service oriented and laid back than let's say the Windjammer, but compared to lunch and dinner, I'm not overly impressed with the menu. I know it's just breakfast, but it seems to lack a little imagination and variety. Where's the bcarney special?

Bcarney special? Windjammer baby!

1 hour ago, fmanke said:

Except for the crowds at peak times, I like the WJ better for breakfast especially for fried eggs and omlets as they're called to order; this it's fresher. In addition, there's a lot more selection. On our last Radiance-class cruise, they rotated a cooked to order pancake, waffles, and crepes stations, too. I actually can't remember the last time I went to the MDR for breakfast. It was probably in a Disney cruise in 2011/2012. 

I love the MDR for lunch, although my wife likes the WJ has there's more choice. 

1 minute ago, DocLC said:

Except for the crowds at peak times, I like the WJ better for breakfast especially for fried eggs and omlets as they're called to order; this it's fresher. In addition, there's a lot more selection. On our last Radiance-class cruise, they rotated a cooked to order pancake, waffles, and crepes stations, too. I actually can't remember the last time I went to the MDR for breakfast. It was probably in a Disney cruise in 2011/2012. 

I love the MDR for lunch, although my wife likes the WJ has there's more choice. 

We have talked about going for lunch in the MDR on the two sea days, just for the Tutti bar. As it looks fantastic.

On 22/04/2017 at 2:07 AM, WHStoneman said:

The MDR menu features a different theme every night but also included are their regular nightly standby offerings.    They could include fried shrimp, chicken or a pot roast.  Desserts are repeated nightly.   

When I've cruised with Royal Caribbean the desserts change each night too, with a couple of items available each night (e.g. ice cream & banana creme brulee)

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, Sarah said:

When I've cruised with Royal Caribbean the desserts change each night too, with a couple of items available each night (e.g. ice cream & banana creme brulee)

Do they still do Baked Alaska on cruises? That's something I always remember, them parading through the MDR, when I think about what it's like to cruise from my childhood. But that was, a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, fmanke said:

Do they still do Baked Alaska on cruises? That's something I always remember, them parading through the MDR, when I think about what it's like to cruise from my childhood. But that was, a long time ago.

Haven't seen that on any of the cruises I've been on in the past couple of years. I thinks that's gone by the wayside just like tuxedos on formal night!

7 minutes ago, rjac said:

Haven't seen that on any of the cruises I've been on in the past couple of years. I thinks that's gone by the wayside just like tuxedos on formal night!

I guess you're right. Baked Alaska seems out of place when your wearing shorts. :10_wink:

Guest toodle68

They had Baked Alaska on Liberty one night in January.  It was nothing like I remember Baked Alaska to be..  I am not even sure it was Baked Alaska.. but it was called Baked Alaska..  

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, rjac said:

I saw a couple of baked Alaskans on the Serenade this past Feb. in the Schooner Bar. But, I don't thinks that's what we're talking about......

I agree with you rjac. I think depending on which cruise your on you will find Baked Alaskans, Baked Caribbeans, Baked Mexicans, Baked Europeans and Baked Americans. :10_wink:

On 4/26/2017 at 3:59 PM, rjac said:

I saw a couple of baked Alaskans on the Serenade this past Feb. in the Schooner Bar. But, I don't thinks that's what we're talking about......

3 hours ago, fmanke said:

I agree with you rjac. I think depending on which cruise your on you will find Baked Alaskans, Baked Caribbeans, Baked Mexicans, Baked Europeans and Baked Americans. :10_wink:

Must be a regional thing. "Baked" for me has always equated to smoking mother nature, not drinking. :4_joy:

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Must be a regional thing. "Baked" for me has always equated to smoking mother nature, not drinking. :4_joy:

I tried that "baked" stuff one time and had a bad reaction............ I tried to take my pants off over my head, not a pretty sight:2_grimacing:

On 4/26/2017 at 8:52 AM, fmanke said:

On one night they do have it, but it's an individual serving prepared in advance. They don't do a huge one and light it on fire and parade it through the dining room like in years past. 

18 minutes ago, DocLC said:

On one night they do have it, but it's an individual serving prepared in advance. They don't do a huge one and light it on fire and parade it through the dining room like in years past. 

Doesn't really seem the same.:37_disappointed:

6 hours ago, sashat00 said:

Is lobster still one of the options in the MDR on 1 night? Does it cost extra?

Thanks, Amy

Going on Explorer of the Seas May 15th to British Columbia.

From what I know, this is still offered on sailings of 5 nights or more but with the new fleet wide menu changes being rolled out I have no idea if this remains the case. 

4 hours ago, klaconqueso said:

From what I know, this is still offered on sailings of 5 nights or more but with the new fleet wide menu changes being rolled out I have no idea if this remains the case. 

Lobster is offered every night ion the MDR, for a cost. Yes?

Lobster is available at a charge from the Chops' menu selection listed on the MDR menu. It is also served one night in the MDR on longer sailings (5+ nights) from North America. You won't find it on any European sailings. 

On 4/26/2017 at 2:23 PM, toodle68 said:

They had Baked Alaska on Liberty one night in January.  It was nothing like I remember Baked Alaska to be..  I am not even sure it was Baked Alaska.. but it was called Baked Alaska..  

I wonder if I can order it ahead of time on Anthem?

I imagine they have all the ingredients in the kitchen to make it.  Just needs a dessert chef with the knowledge and skill to put it all together - even then, it's not rocket science!

8 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

I wonder if I can order it ahead of time on Anthem?

I imagine they have all the ingredients in the kitchen to make it.  Just needs a dessert chef with the knowledge and skill to put it all together - even then, it's not rocket science!

I know. It's just ice cream, cake and a baked meringue. Maybe I'll ask. We are going to be in the MDR on night five for our anniversary.

18 hours ago, fmanke said:

I know. It's just ice cream, cake and a baked meringue. Maybe I'll ask. We are going to be in the MDR on night five for our anniversary.

I also wonder if they would make one if asked at the WindJammer?  

I've seen postings where people have asked for things at the WindJammer that were not offered at that time.  (ie., gravlox, slightly modified dishes due to allergies or spice level, etc.)

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, fmanke said:

I actually found baked Alaska on a menu from an RC press kit for MDR menus that klaconqueso had sent a link for. They look like they are the most recent set of menus, as far as I know.