Formal Dress-up Night?

Johnb

My wife and I will take our second cruise in our lives in March on Adventure of the Seas.  On our first cruise my wife was so disappointed that our travel agent never mentioned that there would be a special "dress-up" night when we were to wear nice clothes.  She didn't have any with her and we wound up in the burger bar 'casual dining' area watching all the other couples  go into the dining area in fancy dress.  I'd really like to avoid that again - how do I know which night is dressier than the others on our cruise?

Typically, formal nights (now often called "Dress Your Best" nights, are on the 2nd and 6th nights of a 7-night cruise. Typically.  It varies by length of cruise and itinerary.  You can always check to see if there's a Cruise Compass available for a recent sailing and see what nights were formal.  That being said, on Royal Caribbean, you will not be turned away from the main dining room if you are not "dressed up".  Some people will, some people won't.  I just think of those nights as ' slightly elevated wardrobe'.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

I had only paid attention to the dress-your-best nights.  I never participated in the white/caribbean/timewarp nights.  My best is usual business casual except for 1 formal/dress-your-best night.  For that night I am usually in a very nice cocktail dress with my husband in a suit - for pictures. 

• 4 weeks later...

There are typically 2 formal nights on a 7-day cruise - usually your first and second to last sea days or a day when you're in a port where the ship departs earlier in the evening/late afternoon. They're never on the last night of the cruise as people are busy packing. Formal night isn't enforced much anymore and I think it typically just applies to dining in the MDR versus the other venues throughout the ship. I know guys can rent a tux (or the used to be able to) on board but I'm not sure about attire for the ladies if she wants to dress and forgot to bring formal or dressier attire...you can also tell which are going to be the formal nights by reviewing the MDR menu in advance on the app - typically the nights there is Lobster or Beef Tenderloin are your formal nights. I hope this helps! Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Maggie M said:

Formal night isn't enforced much anymore and I think it typically just applies to dining in the MDR versus the other venues throughout the ship. I know guys can rent a tux (or the used to be able to) on board but I'm not sure about attire for the ladies if she wants to dress and forgot to bring formal or dressier attire...

You do not have to rent/buy/wear a tux or a formal dress.  Most will go with a shirt/tie/pants for men and women will wear either a nice dress or slacks/blouse.  But some will ignore the 'Formal night' and wear whatever. 

Hey admin/moderators ( @SpeedNoodles, @Love 2 cruise 2022, @AshleyDillo ), does someone what to take away @Maggie M's 'joined recently' badge.  She is already up to Diamond level with 112 posts.  🙂  Thanks.

7 hours ago, FireFishII said:

You do not have to rent/buy/wear a tux or a formal dress.  Most will go with a shirt/tie/pants for men and women will wear either a nice dress or slacks/blouse.  But some will ignore the 'Formal night' and wear whatever. 

Hey admin/moderators ( @SpeedNoodles@Love 2 cruise 2022does someone what to take away @Maggie M's 'joined recently' badge.  She is already up to Diamond level with 112 posts.  🙂  Thanks.

I think it's programmed into the site. I didn't see any option for me to remove it.

12 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I think it's programmed into the site. I didn't see any option for me to remove it.

Thanks.  I was wondering. I have seen some people have their 'joined recently' badge removed when  they have only a few posting and others with more than a hundred.  Maybe the program tracks it by # of days instead of # of posts.