Jump to content

Medical Insurance requirements


Recommended Posts

Just wondering if I need to purchase one of the medical travel insurance policies that are often talked about on here?  I have Blue cross medical insurance and also Chase preferred credit card that provides coverage for us in the event of travel related issues.  Has anyone had a issue with this when boarding?  What medical insurance documentation should i bring with me?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your Blue Cross medical insurance likely does not cover health issues overseas, so forget about that one.

Check with your credit card if it includes travel insurance. Some cards do, provided you paid for the trip with that card.

22 hours ago, Planeprincess said:

What medical insurance documentation should i bring with me?

Most people purchase a separate travel insurance policy through a third party service.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

Your Blue Cross medical insurance likely does not cover health issues overseas

I have talked to several representatives with BCBS and they assured me that my medical insurance policy was valid overseas. Of course, different policies have different coverages, so check with yours. Call several time days apart so that you get different representatives so that you minimize the chances of getting a rep without a clue.

Having said that, with the Covid mess I am probably going to buy an annual policy anyway because once cruising really gets cranked up, I am going to be a'sailing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's not much in the way of documentation of insurance that you need to bring since most overseas medical facilities aren't going to direct bill the insurance company anyway. You have to pay upfront for medical services rendered and seek reimbursement from the insurance company.  You should have any contact information for any concierge services offered by the insurance companies as sometimes they can assist in helping you find facilities for treatment. You also usually have to provide them with a notice of loss within a specific time if something happens that you would need to claim on.

But as stated you need to research what coverage is provided with both your insurance and the credit card to determine if you should purchase additional travel insurance coverage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are vaccinated and willing to risk that your health insurance will cover you, you are okay to do that.  If, however, you are NOT vaccinated, you need to have a travel insurance policy with specific covid/evacuation coverage to be allowed to board. See protocols for your cruise for specifics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have BCBS and I am in a state employee plan that I feel has really great coverage.

And while there is health coverage nationwide and worldwide, the one thing my plan won’t cover is medical repatriations from overseas which can cost several tens of thousands of dollars. I think the cost of travel insurance is worth it alone just for that.

Just food for thought!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As with all insurance policies…you must take the time to get into the weeds and completely read and (most importantly) understand the coverages. If it’s not in writing as covered…than it is most likely not covered. Also understand the ‘buts’ in the policy. Such as ‘You are absolutely, positively one hundred percent covered for this…………but’.  Usually followed by a list of exceptions. Some policies are simply clearer than others. Most have short notification timelines where failure to expeditiously call can diminish or even cancel the claim. I always check on-line reviews from third party resources. Lots of info. The best insurance policy is the one never needed! Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

I have talked to several representatives with BCBS and they assured me that my medical insurance policy was valid overseas.

Sorry, I should have said things differently. Most health insurance plans do not cover medical evac (like being flown home, medevaced from a ship, etc).  Travel insurance covers a lot of the little and big things traditional health insurance doesnt.

Not to mention a lot of these services are out of network. So you're gonna pay extra.

As an example, cruise ship medical facilities dont take any insurance.  So you can make a claim later, but you're on your own to pay for these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, stevendom57 said:

Having said that, with the Covid mess I am probably going to buy an annual policy anyway because once cruising really gets cranked up, I am going to be a'sailing.

How does the annual policy work?

I just booked 4 cruises for next year.

2 with hubby

1 with daughter

1 with friends 

coyjd they be covered under me? Or do they all need their own policies?

what if I add more cruises? 
thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

How does the annual policy work?

I just booked 4 cruises for next year.

2 with hubby

1 with daughter

1 with friends 

coyjd they be covered under me? Or do they all need their own policies?

what if I add more cruises? 
thank you!

My annual policy covers any trip that I take that's more than 100 miles from my primary residence.  Does not matter if I drive, fly, cruise or walk.  It covers any trip I take, regardless if it's one trip or 100 trips. You don't have to have all the trips booked at the time you buy the policy.

The policy covers specific people you name on the policy.  You could get a policy for just you since you are taking multiple cruises or one for your entire family.  Whoever is named on the policy are who would be covered for the entire year. In the case of the cruise with your friends, it's likely you don't want to pay for their trip insurance for an entire year so they wouldn't be covered. My policy does offer some coverage for when a traveling partner can't go for a covered reason where they would pay any additional cost you would incur to stay on the trip. The traveling partner does not have to be named on the policy in that circumstance.

If you want to see a copy of the policy I have to just see specifically what the language is for what is covered, send me a private message and I'll gladly send you a copy. 

Insurance is tricky and people often misunderstand exactly what they can claim for when it comes to cancelation/travel delays.  The medical coverage portion is pretty easy to understand and for me buying the insurance policy is to insure against a great financial loss.  For my personal situation, that would more likely be a medical claim than a claim a missed cruise.  Having the trip cancellation and trip interruption delay coverage is just a bonus with this policy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an annual travel policy which covers all travel, including cruises. It’s very important to have a Covid specific rider attached…or Covid is plainly listed as covered. Without paying extra for that rider, then virtually any cost connected with Covid may not be covered. There is cancellation coverage for many reasons should I or my travel partner be unable to sail. Travel partner is described as someone in the same cabin. There is also enhanced coverage for baggage loss or delay, motor vehicle/rental insurance…among others. It covers one of the biggest expenses which would be medical repatriation and also medical expenses in other countries. These coverages are usually applicable only after I receive any other benefit…such as a partial refund from a cruise or my personal health coverage. It’s important to note that each coverage has a maximum benefit for the entire year. So, filing just one claim can pretty much max out a covered reason. In that event, I would need to go find another annual policy. But the price is well worth the peace of mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 8:01 AM, BrianB said:

I have an annual travel policy which covers all travel, including cruises. It’s very important to have a Covid specific rider attached…or Covid is plainly listed as covered. Without paying extra for that rider, then virtually any cost connected with Covid may not be covered. There is cancellation coverage for many reasons should I or my travel partner be unable to sail. Travel partner is described as someone in the same cabin. There is also enhanced coverage for baggage loss or delay, motor vehicle/rental insurance…among others. It covers one of the biggest expenses which would be medical repatriation and also medical expenses in other countries. These coverages are usually applicable only after I receive any other benefit…such as a partial refund from a cruise or my personal health coverage. It’s important to note that each coverage has a maximum benefit for the entire year. So, filing just one claim can pretty much max out a covered reason. In that event, I would need to go find another annual policy. But the price is well worth the peace of mind.

Can you share the company/policy level and the Covid rider info?  or can you DM it?
Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2021 at 7:39 PM, Pattycruise said:

How does the annual policy work?

I just booked 4 cruises for next year.

2 with hubby

1 with daughter

1 with friends 

coyjd they be covered under me? Or do they all need their own policies?

what if I add more cruises? 
thank you!

Looks like you 're a candidate to for an  annual (or investigate for sure).  Found you can easily break even at  3 cruises over a 12 month period.  But it will cover any travel over a certain distance from home.  Covers stuff like rental car, airline, luggage etc.   Several good companies out there.  Covid endorsements cannot be written in  all states although some companies offer an accommodation letter of limited coverage for medivac and some quarantine coverage.   Depends upon your state of residence.   In general, found it to be far more affordable than insurance offered by the lines, especially if you're going to Europe/Asia.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2021 at 6:55 PM, AshleyDillo said:

My annual policy covers any trip that I take that's more than 100 miles from my primary residence.  Does not matter if I drive, fly, cruise or walk.  It covers any trip I take, regardless if it's one trip or 100 trips. You don't have to have all the trips booked at the time you buy the policy.

The policy covers specific people you name on the policy.  You could get a policy for just you since you are taking multiple cruises or one for your entire family.  Whoever is named on the policy are who would be covered for the entire year. In the case of the cruise with your friends, it's likely you don't want to pay for their trip insurance for an entire year so they wouldn't be covered. My policy does offer some coverage for when a traveling partner can't go for a covered reason where they would pay any additional cost you would incur to stay on the trip. The traveling partner does not have to be named on the policy in that circumstance.

If you want to see a copy of the policy I have to just see specifically what the language is for what is covered, send me a private message and I'll gladly send you a copy. 

Insurance is tricky and people often misunderstand exactly what they can claim for when it comes to cancelation/travel delays.  The medical coverage portion is pretty easy to understand and for me buying the insurance policy is to insure against a great financial loss.  For my personal situation, that would more likely be a medical claim than a claim a missed cruise.  Having the trip cancellation and trip interruption delay coverage is just a bonus with this policy.

@AshleyDilloI'm not sure how to send you a PM through the board, but I'd love to find out more about the annual policy.  Can I PM you because you're a moderator?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Can you share the company/policy level and the Covid rider info?  or can you DM it?
Thank you

Allianz AllTrips Prime. Global, including all Schengen countries. I’m in NJ and I usually travel solo so the policy is just for me. Covid coverage is included. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I'm not young anymore, and for any trip, I take out medical insurance to ensure that I can be treated in case of an emergency. On a recent trip, I had to go to many doctors because I blew an ear, and I'm glad that my Medigap Plan N Benefits health insurance covered my medical expenses. Words can't tell you how much my ear hurt that I couldn't hear appropriately at times. The doctor put me on multiple IVs to treat my ear for three days. As it turned out, I had otitis externa, which is why it hurt so much. That's how I went to another country to rest but ended up staying in a hotel for most of the trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...