Royal No Longer Allowing Unvaccinated Guests 12 and up for cruises that go to St. Thomas?

2 hours ago, karl_nj said:

I was all set to reply and tell you that you were obviously wrong.  So I fired up the NYTimes to go gather some data.  First I  checked to see how my county was doing -- Bergen County NJ, 62% fully vaccinated.  Pretty good, eh?  So then I scrolled down to Miami-Dade County, FL.  Uh...  62%.  Hmm.

And currently, probably 30% of the souls in the Miami metro area are not residents of the county, so there is really no way of knowing what the aggregate immunized percent is at any given moment.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, AshleyDillo said:

@bfranke1 I believe just experienced this on the Freedom..his son just turned 12 a few weeks prior to boarding.  He was treated as unvaccinated as he wasn't eligible to be fully vaccinated in time.

So if they are treated as unvaccinated, and Royal isn't letting any unvaccinated guests over 12 on cruises to the USVI/St. Thomas that means I need to cancel my family's cruise.  We aren't willing to cruise without our son on Christmas week.  I guess I'll wait a bit longer and see if guidance changes. ?

9 minutes ago, emmef said:

So if they are treated as unvaccinated, and Royal isn't letting any unvaccinated guests over 12 on cruises to the USVI/St. Thomas that means I need to cancel my family's cruise.  We aren't willing to cruise without our son on Christmas week.  I guess I'll wait a bit longer and see if guidance changes. ?

Unfortunately you're in one of those borderline cases where I'm not sure anyone that you would easily be able to speak to at Royal would have an idea how to answer it for sure.  I don't know what level of leniency they have when it's St. Thomas who is making the rules.  And of course we are seeing how wildly things can change back and forth with respect to all protocols.  My suggestion is keep waiting and see what things look like closer to final payment date and decide if you want to gamble with Royal hanging into money in the hopes that it all works out ?

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Unfortunately you're in one of those borderline cases where I'm not sure anyone that you would easily be able to speak to at Royal would have an idea how to answer it for sure.  I don't know what level of leniency they have when it's St. Thomas who is making the rules.  And of course we are seeing how wildly things can change back and forth with respect to all protocols.  My suggestion is keep waiting and see what things look like closer to final payment date and decide if you want to gamble with Royal hanging into money in the hopes that it all works out ?

Royal Caribbean would never give ma an answer about my son. I asked if I had to pay for his testing at the port. They would never tell me, and I emailed probably five times, and also a message through Twitter. I finally gave up, he was tested at the port. I went to Guest Services and asked again, and it was like talking to a rock. They just said "He is twelve, so you're responsible for the cost of the test. I told them legally he isn't available to be fully vaccinated for the cruise, and RC should pay for the test like they do for Unvaccinated children under twelve. Still had to end up paying the $94 dollars. 

2 hours ago, emmef said:

Issue is we have no idea what will happen by December. Will they mandate vaccines? Will they skip USVI? Will it be back open? Will it be a sea day? 

I think I would wait it out for now...but thats me.

2 hours ago, emmef said:

It's highly likely that the vaccines will be approved for younger kids soon either through a EUA or full approval (early fall was estimate for 5-11 yr olds I think).  Once that happens if you wish to get your son vaccinated you should have plenty of time to complete the vaccination by the time your cruise sails over Christmas.

3 hours ago, emmef said:

You should certainly wait this out. I’ve seen the rules change 10 times in the past few months. There has to be some way around this issue. 

3 hours ago, emmef said:

I’d wait. Make back up Christmas plans. The cruise lines are like underwear. They are changed everyday. 

On 8/5/2021 at 9:10 AM, LizzyBee23 said:

There's also no "magic" percentage of vaccination that can predict when we can remove restrictions and get back to normal. We just have no idea what to expect, and would be better served by a big dose of humility.

Actually there is, and most countries are far away from that percentage. It takes a given community to be 80 to 90% immune to a virus in order to achieve herd immunity.

Currently, we do not know how long immunity is obtained from actually catching covid vs the vaccines. People who were infected with SARS seventeen years ago till have some immune response, but it's not known if that response is enough to protect the person..

As for long term side effects of the vaccine, it is degraded and removed from your body within 2 to 3 days.

Not a doctor, but I have a degree in molecular genetics and molecular immunology.