Odyssey of the Seas Ems River Conveyance Coming Soon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Live 😀

Tide tables and notices of dam closures along the Ems River point to Odyssey of the Seas making the trip down the river towards the sea on the 27th of February. Shipbuilder Meyers Werft has been

Royal has made their Odyssey conveyance video public. https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/1178/odyssey-of-the-seas-conveyance-vinfographic-/ Good explanation of the process.

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

I notice that it's been "paused" for the last 10 minutes between Gandersum and Oldersum, and that an EMS boat is headed downriver (towards Eemshaven).  Hopefully just a preparatory move toward the next section of the trip.

I think I found the explanation; according to a German news article, it won't go through the "Emssperwerk" (the bridge at Gandersum) until 00:30 Local (i.e., 12:30 a.m. on the 28th).  I'm sure it has to do with tides and river height.  That should be 4:30 pm Pacific and 7:30 pm Eastern.

Samstag, 27. Februar 2021

03:30 Uhr Schiff in Warteposition (Papenburg)
04:00 Uhr Passieren der Dockschleuse (Papenburg)
08:45 Uhr Passieren der Friesenbrücke (Weener)
12:00 Uhr Passieren der Jann-Berghaus-Brücke (Leer)
Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021

00:30 Uhr Passage Emssperrwerk (Gandersum)
03:30 Uhr Schiff drehen auf Höhe Emden

I wonder if, when it's on the move, its speed is in negative knots (kn) since it's going backwards . . .

Another "I wonder:"  How does Odyssey (and its tugs) maintain its position in the Ems River while waiting for the next part of the conveyance through the Emssperwerk?  Do they use anchors, or just continual position adjustment by the tugs?  Since the speed numbers of the tugs vary between 0.0 and 0.2 knots, I assume the latter.

43 minutes ago, Leroyr55 said:

I have to ask this why do they move it backwards?..Peace Out Goodbye GIF by Garfield

The lowest part underwater and extremely valuable assets are the azipods and propellers.  

By backing it down they can keep the aft of the ship centered in the deepest part of the river while the forward area which is not as deep has a little more latitude to venture out of the deepest part of the river with less concern.  

If any part of the ship is going to approach the bottom it's better for it to be the bow.

1 hour ago, IRMO12HD said:

Another "I wonder:"  How does Odyssey (and its tugs) maintain its position in the Ems River while waiting for the next part of the conveyance through the Emssperwerk?  Do they use anchors, or just continual position adjustment by the tugs?  Since the speed numbers of the tugs vary between 0.0 and 0.2 knots, I assume the latter.

Ships have precise positioning systems that can keep them within or approaching 1m of position.  Modern cruise ships can visit delicate ecosystems like coral reefs without dropping anchor while they tender although it does increase fuel burn.

6 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I think I found the explanation; according to a German news article, it won't go through the "Emssperwerk" (the bridge at Gandersum) until 00:30 Local (i.e., 12:30 a.m. on the 28th).  I'm sure it has to do with tides and river height.  That should be 4:30 pm Pacific and 7:30 pm Eastern.

Samstag, 27. Februar 2021

03:30 Uhr Schiff in Warteposition (Papenburg)
04:00 Uhr Passieren der Dockschleuse (Papenburg)
08:45 Uhr Passieren der Friesenbrücke (Weener)
12:00 Uhr Passieren der Jann-Berghaus-Brücke (Leer)
Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021

00:30 Uhr Passage Emssperrwerk (Gandersum)
03:30 Uhr Schiff drehen auf Höhe Emden

I wonder if, when it's on the move, its speed is in negative knots (kn) since it's going backwards . . .

Correction; it will pass through Emssperrwerk at 3:30 p.m. Pacific (6:30 Eastern).  That's what happens when I don't check my phone's World Clock . . .

9 minutes ago, Marga said:

The Emmssperwerk is not a bridge but a dam / weir. 

Maybe that's why they have to wait? 

Technically correct.  "Barrier" for storm surge control. 

This was the dam that was closed at high tide to trap the water in the river and make the river higher rather than draining lower at low tide like it normally would with each tide change.  

https://www.elwis.de/DE/dynamisch/BfS/index.php?target=3&source=2&db_id=251736

Google translate:

1.1 Ems barrage

The Ems Barrage will be completely closed for the purpose of damming on 02.26.2021 at around 12:00 p.m. The lifting of the traffic jam is expected to be completed on February 28, 2021 at around 00:30 a.m. After the end of the traffic jam and, if necessary, the shipyard has passed through the barrage, the passage through the barrage will be opened again for shipping. The following closure times are therefore expected at the Ems barrage near Gandersum:

02/26/2021 at around 12:00 p.m. to 02/28/2021 at around 12:30 a.m.

Ships that are waiting in the barrage area for clearance to continue must moor at the existing berths. The large ship berth in Gandersum is not available for this purpose.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, twangster said:

We haven't really seen it at a distance.  Everything so far has been from relatively close.  

It's kind of growing on me.  

I understand my place in the minority for this opinion, but I absolutely love the new style of the name for Odyssey. I think it's just unique enough, just different enough, but still has the look and feel of the RC font and style, that I just really like it. The more I see it, the more I like it, and I'm 110% all for it!

I can't even with this photo - it's over the Autobahn, and I get that part, but what witchery is this???  It doesn't look like there's room for a river up there, much less a ship IN a river over a bahn (auto or otherwise). 

image.thumb.png.23b018e4839ec6b63d508f32fd4a0d52.png

(Ok, maybe it's an optical illusion and this isn't a photo of the Autobahn - they made it sound like this was it, but it makes zero sense).

On 3/1/2021 at 7:13 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I can't even with this photo - it's over the Autobahn, and I get that part, but what witchery is this???  It doesn't look like there's room for a river up there, much less a ship IN a river over a bahn (auto or otherwise). 

(Ok, maybe it's an optical illusion and this isn't a photo of the Autobahn - they made it sound like this was it, but it makes zero sense).

That is the Autobahn.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:13 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

The highway tunnels under the river there.