Australia cruise ban extended by 3 months

I'm guessing Royal Caribbean had insider information on this seems they had already pulled out of the season. Still disappointing for those hoping some other lines might start up with domestic sailings.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/cruise-ban-has-been-extended-by-three-months-in-australia/news-story/f7a131529355bf059cad6ad7683996d3

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/national/cruise-ship-ban-extended-in-australia/ckif9gnur00230hms46og7fh0

Inevitable and not surprising really.  It does raise questions about what to do with the ships.  Alaska isn't a sure thing in 2021 so we'll have to see how this plays out.

Hopefully timing of a vaccine will prevent a large increase next winter down under that's being experienced in the Northern Hemisphere right now.  

Also hopefully you won't have a repeat of the wildfires this summer like last year.

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Inevitable and not surprising really.  It does raise questions about what to do with the ships.  Alaska isn't a sure thing in 2021 so we'll have to see how this plays out.

Hopefully timing of a vaccine will stem the large winter increase down under that's being experienced in the Northern Hemisphere right now.  

Also hopefully you won't have a repeat of the wildfires this summer like last year.

Well there is no community transmission, it's just return travellers in hotel quarantine now. And March lines up with when we are supposed to be receiving the vaccine. You can bet come March the Australian government will make the vaccine mandatory for cruising.

As for the ships, I guess you leave them in Asia until its confirmed the Alaska season can go ahead? If they miss the Alaska season then that's one and half years Ovation and Radiance will have had no passengers. Just crazy!!

6 hours ago, mattymay said:

As for the ships, I guess you leave them in Asia until its confirmed the Alaska season can go ahead? If they miss the Alaska season then that's one and half years Ovation and Radiance will have had no passengers. Just crazy!!

Assuming we get a European cruising season this year perhaps they could send them our way. If they are running ships at 50% capacity there might be an opportunity to add some additional sailings/capacity for the European summer?

Or is that just wishful thinking?

The thing here is that there really is no virus other than those in enforced hotel quarantine on return from Overseas/. Winter wont be an issue as long as the philosophy stays the same and borders remain shut. However that is 6 months away.

We have full stadiums at sporting events, virtually no limits to capacity at bars and restaurants and no need for masks and our economy is on a steep road to recovery.. In fact aside from general caution and some social distancing measures we are at a reasonable level of Freedom and normality. The problem we have is we cant move ahead until the world catches up.

Our main issue for starting up cruising again is the crew. and where they will come from.

Rumours are abound of Royal looking to start as soon as possible with some small off season domestic cruise because of the likelihood that Alaska is a write off for 21 but perception is still pretty negative from the outspoken ones in the public,

Both links seem to portray a positive outlook for the future, at least for cruising that may stay in domestic waters.  Of course the question of crew is still a concern.   Question: Does Australia have a ban on cruises to "Nowhere" like we have here in the US?   From my perspective I would not even mind that type of cruise, just to get away from it all for a week, just not possible in the US

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

Question: Does Australia have a ban on cruises to "Nowhere" like we have here in the US?   From my perspective I would not even mind that type of cruise, just to get away from it all for a week, just not possible in the US

No, cruises to nowhere were actually a thing here before COVID. Ovation does quite a few, and I have seen them available on Voyager and Radiance before. We did one on Ovation (unfortunately our last cruise before it all came to an end) over a weekend in November last year, 3 nights to nowhere. It was actually quite fun.

11 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Rumours are abound of Royal looking to start as soon as possible with some small off season domestic cruise because of the likelihood that Alaska is a write off for 21 but perception is still pretty negative from the outspoken ones in the public,

That's a good point. I guess there is potential for some off season if Alaska is a no go. P&O and Carnival have no off season so I'm guessing Royal will want to get in on the action as well instead of leaving ships laying dormant.

This reminds me, pre COVID there was an unnamed RCG ship on the Sydney cruise ship schedule in the 2022 off season, I feel they were already planning to leave a ship here year round to service Perfect Day Lelepa, but who knows now.

2 hours ago, mattymay said:

That's a good point. I guess there is potential for some off season if Alaska is a no go. P&O and Carnival have no off season so I'm guessing Royal will want to get in on the action as well instead of leaving ships laying dormant.

This reminds me, pre COVID there was an unnamed RCG ship on the Sydney cruise ship schedule in the 2022 off season, I feel they were already planning to leave a ship here year round to service Perfect Day Lelepa, but who knows now.

Exactly, an officer from my last cruise on Voyager told me that the plan was for 1 ship in the off season as a result of utilising Lelepa. 

Nothing changing till widespread vaccines rollout....at this point, all governments will continue lockdowns and restrictions...why would anyone think that's going to change now after almost a year?

Don't plan or book or even think about cruising till late 2021, assuming the vaccine roll out goes as planned AND no complications or shortages along the way.

47 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Nothing changing till widespread vaccines rollout....at this point, all governments will continue lockdowns and restrictions...why would anyone think that's going to change now after almost a year?

Don't plan or book or even think about cruising till late 2021, assuming the vaccine roll out goes as planned AND no complications or shortages along the way.

That's what I'm feeling too..  

48 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

It can change in Australia because the virus has been all but wiped out here. Only cases are returned citizens in hotel quarantine and has been that way for a month. I went and watched a sporting event yesterday in a 40000 stadium, no social distancing needed, no restrictions, no masks. Domestically we have freedom but internationally we need the vaccine.