FManke

RCCL vs CELEBRITY

I've never understood the concept of rewarding folks who don't have to fly to a cruise. 

I have to buy a plane ticket to cruise so therefore I and not eligible for cruise fare discounts.  How does that make sense? 

I have flexible travel plans, Southwest offers reasonable airfares under 90 days yet I am penalized because I have to fly.  

Why should someone who can drive to the cruise port get a discount?  

Celebrity seems to be on the same page as me, Royal not so much.  

I might see myself cruising more with Celebrity in the not so distant future, especially when longer cruises tend to be our thing.  @twangster As much as i hate to say it, i believe you are correct in saying the smaller (Radiance Class ships) would be transferred out of Royals fleet to make room for the bigger ships and now Perfect Day Island trips. The writing is on the wall and i refused to see it! 🙄

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

I might see myself cruising more with Celebrity in the not so distant future, especially when longer cruises tend to be our thing.  @twangster As much as i hate to say it, i believe you are correct in saying the smaller (Radiance Class ships) would be transferred out of Royals fleet to make room for the bigger ships and now Perfect Day Island trips. The writing is on the wall and i refused to see it! 🙄

If RC does decide to eliminate their smaller ships, as long as there is a want or need for smaller ships, somebody will continue to offer them. Each company will just have to decide what direction they want to go. I hope there will always be a place for smaller ships. As the ships get larger, they lose a lot of their charm in my book. They just start to lose their "ship shape" and just start to look like a hotel affixed to a hull. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

If RC does decide to eliminate their smaller ships, as long as there is a want or need for smaller ships, somebody will continue to offer them. Each company will just have to decide what direction they want to go. I hope there will always be a place for smaller ships. As the ships get larger, they lose a lot of their charm in my book. They just start to lose their "ship shape" and just start to look like a hotel affixed to a hull. Just my opinion.

Azamara with just three smaller ships is worth considering for exotic itineraries.  

Empress is going to Tortola a few times now which is appealing.  I’ve picked a handful of Majesty and Empress sailings because the rates are pretty great right now.  

Celebrity is pumping out Edge class ships but there’s a lot to be said for their smaller ships where there are still suite restaurants just like the newer and bigger ships. 

The reality is as ships grow older it’s doesn't make sense to continue operating them.  For Royal a new ship build is going to be big, mega big.  The rest of the RCCL is not as focused on big. 

So if twangster is correct, I should occasionally see discounted rates for cruises out of the Boston terminal since I live in MA.  I'll have to look...

29 minutes ago, YOLO said:

So if twangster is correct, I should occasionally see discounted rates for cruises out of the Boston terminal since I live in MA.  I'll have to look...

It all depends.  If sales are strong don't spend a lot of time looking...

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

It all depends.  If sales are strong don't spend a lot of time looking...

Exhibit A -- The Iceland & Greenland TA that's sailing out of NJ isn't offering bupkis for resident discounts as the ship is nearly sold out over a year ahead of sail date.

EDIT -- Also wanted to note that if you want the included perks on a room, then don't look at resident rates either; IIRC, those rates are generally rock-bottom pricing that exclude perks. Pinging @KathyC who I recall got a resident rate a while back, just to confirm that.

42 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

EDIT -- Also wanted to note that if you want the included perks on a room, then don't look at resident rates either; IIRC, those rates are generally rock-bottom pricing that exclude perks. Pinging @KathyC who I recall got a resident rate a while back, just to confirm that.

I can't say for certain that this is the case every time, but in general, cruise lines (not just X) tend to strip OBC or other incentives for resident rates and other discounted fares.  It's another reason it's important to compare apples to apples when looking at prices.

Good point.  I like to try to boil down my rate to a per person per day calculation (apples to apples).  When I do I always add in all the perks like OBC to be consistent.  Also, I have been excluding gratuities, pre paid or otherwise.  I probably should reconsider that though.  It's nice to be under $100 per person per day for an inside.  Of course other room categories will be more.  Usually I find that Celebrity runs a bit higher than Royal.  Sorry, getting off topic with this...

On 6/25/2019 at 8:55 AM, twangster said:

Aquaclass is not like Star Class at all.  More like a slightly better balcony cabin with access to the spa and a speciality restaurant (Blu) for meals.

Celebrity classes do not map to Royal directly.  There is no Star Class equivalent with a Genie for example.  Celebrity's Sky Class entry level suite is much better than Junior Suites but not quite a full Grand Suite experience.   Sky Suites on Celebrity have a dedicated suite restaurant on all ships, not just newer ships like with Sky Class and Coastal Kitchen on Royal.  Aqua and Concierge class have no equivalent on Royal.  Completely different approach.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that Diamond matching to Elite in Captain's Club makes for the best bang.

It stops there so climbing higher doesn't net you anything.  

1942853560_CACCregontionchart.thumb.jpeg.5688fe7ee0414d0d613e8791dd6dae9e.jpeg

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

I believe this has changed.  When I checked Celebrity's website last week, they had new tiers and additional benefits for D+ and Pinnacle equivalents. 

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Exhibit A -- The Iceland & Greenland TA that's sailing out of NJ isn't offering bupkis for resident discounts as the ship is nearly sold out over a year ahead of sail date.

4 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

I can't say for certain that this is the case every time, but in general, cruise lines (not just X) tend to strip OBC or other incentives for resident rates and other discounted fares.  It's another reason it's important to compare apples to apples when looking at prices.

In our case, there was no perks for the resident rate.  It was also $25 deposit at the time, and our resident rate was refundable.   A few months after the killer rate we got, they offered another, higher, rate that did include 3 perks.  But it was non-refundable, and the new rate was double our old one.  If you wanted a refundable rate, it was the same higher price but no perks.  Needless to say, I kept  my cheap resident rate.

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

I believe this has changed.  When I checked Celebrity's website last week, they had new tiers and additional benefits for D+ and Pinnacle equivalents. 

Where you looking on their website? Here's the full verbiage from the Captains Club "How to Enroll" page, which lines up with the table @twangster posted earlier (bold red added by me for emphasis / clarity):

Reciprocity Between Brands

Equivalent recognition is one of the benefits of being a Captain's Club, Crown & Anchor Society and/or Le Club Voyage loyalty member. It offers loyalty members the opportunity to receive recognition and similar Celebrity benefits with matching tier status–both pre-cruise and onboard–when sailing with one of the three brands. Members of one loyalty program must enroll in a sister program in order to receive equivalent recognition benefits.

Points on Celebrity and Azamara are earned cumulatively in both loyalty programs. For example, 20 Club Points earned on a Celebrity sailing will be reflected as 20 points in both Celebrity's and Azamara's loyalty programs. The total Club Points for the member will reflect all qualified points earned.

Points earned on Royal Caribbean are earned only for the Royal Caribbean loyalty program. Points of each loyalty program cannot be added together. Points are calculated using the applicable brand's program level accrual system.

The following program levels are equivalent for loyalty program recognition purposes:

• Preview
    • Azamara LeClub Voyage: Preview
  • Classic
    • Azamara LeClub Voyage: Adventurer
  • Select
    • Azamara LeClub Voyage: Explorer
    • Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society: Platinum
  • Elite
    • Azamara LeClub Voyage: Discoverer
    • Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society: Diamond
  • Elite Plus
    • Azamara LeClub Voyage: Discoverer Plus
  • Zenith
    • Azamara LeClub Voyage: Discoverer Platinum

I saw the Elite Plus and Zenith on the page I viewed.  There was nothing on the page that stated Diamond was equal to Zenith or Elite Plus.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

The reciprocity table you reviewed above wasn't on the above page.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Where you looking on their website? Here's the full verbiage from the Captains Club "How to Enroll" page, which lines up with the table @twangster posted earlier (bold red added by me for emphasis / clarity):

I am not disputing the new information provided above, but I think the original table was confusing  because it omitted Elite Plus and Zenith, which clearly exist at Celebrity.

11 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I am not disputing the new information provided above, but I think the original table was confusing  because it omitted Elite Plus and Zenith, which clearly exist at Celebrity.

Agreed that the policy and how it’s presented can be confusing. At its core, X will treat you as Elite level in Captain’s Club if you’re Diamond, D+, or Pinnacle in C&A. And Royal will consider you Diamond level if you are Elite, E+, or Zenith in C&A. Neither matches the levels 1:1 (although it would be nice if they did!)

11 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I saw the Elite Plus and Zenith on the page I viewed.  There was nothing on the page that stated Diamond was equal to Zenith or Elite Plus.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

The reciprocity table you reviewed above wasn't on the above page.

The chart above is for Royal C&A members sailing on Celebrity and was in response to that exact scenario:

At what point does it make sense to sail celebrity with using royal loyalty level? 

The chart doesn't compare the two loyalty programs, just the status recognized for Royal cruisers while on Celebrity.

Does Captain's club have moire levels?  Sure.  In terms of status recognition for Royal C&A members though it doesn't matter.  Status recognition stops at Elite level benefits. 

If a Diamond member cruises on Celebrity they get Elite benefits.  

If a Diamond Plus member cruises on Celebrity they get Elite benefits.  Diamond Plus do not get Elite Plus benefits.

If a Pinnacle member cruises on Celebrity they get Elite benefits.  Pinnacle do not get Zenith benefits.

So my tl;dr for all the above is that if you've never cruised on Celebrity then it makes sense to wait until you are Diamond at least on Royal to give them a try to maximize the benefits you can get as a first-timer on Celebrity..am I interpreting all that correctly?

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

So my tl;dr for all the above is that if you've never cruised on Celebrity then it makes sense to wait until you are Diamond at least on Royal to give them a try to maximize the benefits you can get as a first-timer on Celebrity..am I interpreting all that correctly?

As with all things, it depends. I’m only Gold in C&A, but the itinerary for the Celebrity sailing to Iceland & Greenland was too compelling to pass up. Thus why I’m booked. But that is obviously an exception. (the one that proves the rule?)

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:
2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Agreed that the policy and how it’s presented can be confusing. At its core, X will treat you as Elite level in Captain’s Club if you’re Diamond, D+, or Pinnacle in C&A. And Royal will consider you Diamond level if you are Elite, E+, or Zenith in C&A. Neither matches the levels 1:1 (although it would be nice if they did!)

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The chart above is for Royal C&A members sailing on Celebrity and was in response to that exact scenario:

At what point does it make sense to sail celebrity with using royal loyalty level? 

The chart doesn't compare the two loyalty programs, just the status recognized for Royal cruisers while on Celebrity.

Does Captain's club have moire levels?  Sure.  In terms of status recognition for Royal C&A members though it doesn't matter.  Status recognition stops at Elite level benefits. 

If a Diamond member cruises on Celebrity they get Elite benefits.  

If a Diamond Plus member cruises on Celebrity they get Elite benefits.  Diamond Plus do not get Elite Plus benefits.

If a Pinnacle member cruises on Celebrity they get Elite benefits.  Pinnacle do not get Zenith benefits.

Copy all - thx for explaining.  As I stated, I was confused by the first table when I went to Celebrity's website and wanted to be sure everyone knew the latest.

In making a price comparison between RCI and Celebrity, I wanted to also compare on-board benefits and project the additional expenses I might have.  You have clarified that nicely!

42 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Exactly.  A few here have taken this approach.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:20 AM, AshleyDillo said:

This is exactly what we are doing. When our son is in college (4 yrs from now, thank you 529!), I feel we will be in line, and more comfortable, with the demographic aboard on X. We will have our D+ status with RCCL and off we go!

Celebrity has been sending me emails (the latest one at 10AM this morning) with these subject lines: "Hello Massachusetts residents, you're eligible for special resident rates."  I would love to see a great deal on a 2021 British Isles cruise.  Still looking...