Baked Alaska

Unlimited Dining Package or Ultimate Dining Package

36 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Love it! #notTeamMDR

Also not TeamMDR... I started cruising on Royal in 2006 and the food in the MDR was delicious then it happened Oasis came out and they released those stupid Spice Menu's. They obviously also bought inferior ingredients and the food started to go South really quickly.. Now I buy an Ultimate package for every cruise. I also don't mind. People say oh but the food is included why would you do that.. For me its simple I love Royal and I am not going to win and get them to make the MDR better so I bite the bullet and pay for the better package and I have a wonderful cruise every time.. 

On 5/22/2019 at 3:25 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

Here's a question (I might just ask this on Royal's Facebook page for kicks).  You have the Unlimited Dining Package. For some odd reason (I don't know, maybe you make friends on the cruise, you want to all have dinner together, they don't want to put out for specialty, whatever - weirder things have happened), you're going to have dinner MDR. Would the Unlimited Dining Package cover the Premium Selections (Whole Main Lobster, etc, from the bottom of the menu)?

Question asked, told it wouldn't be covered.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, Baked Alaska said:

Pull the trigger today on the Ultimate Dining Package $199/pp 7 nights or wait until tomorrow for the Unlimited Dining Package?

it's currently on sale for my sailing $175/pp

On 4/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, Baked Alaska said:

Pull the trigger today on the Ultimate Dining Package $199/pp 7 nights or wait until tomorrow for the Unlimited Dining Package?

it's currently on sale for my sailing $175/pp

So stupid question, with all of the dining options available for first time cruisers would you all recommend this package?  Its down to 154 on our sailing on Liberty and we are already Keyed up.

8 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

So stupid question, with all of the dining options available for first time cruisers would you all recommend this package?  Its down to 154 on our sailing on Liberty and we are already Keyed up.

That is really such a personal kind of decision.  For anyone who is new to cruising, I say that it is wise to give the MDR a try first.  We ate in the MDR for YEARS before we ever tried our first specialty restaurant.  We just, eventually, got tired of the same menus over and over again and decided to venture out...so if you have "been there, done that" with the MDR and enjoy eating at the specialties, I'd say $154 for the UDP is an excellent price (7 nights ?).

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

That is really such a personal kind of decision.  For anyone who is new to cruising, I say that it is wise to give the MDR a try first.  We ate in the MDR for YEARS before we ever tried our first specialty restaurant.  We just, eventually, got tired of the same menus over and over again and decided to venture out...so if you have "been there, done that" with the MDR and enjoy eating at the specialties, I'd say $154 for the UDP is an excellent price (7 nights ?).

Yeah its a 7 night cruise.  We already have a lunch at Chops because we have the Key.  Since we never have been on a cruise before and you can only eat so much food I didnt want to just write the MDR off without trying it first.  I assume we can still make a reservation on the ship and just pay out of pocket if we wanted to right?  Or if we just wanted to grab a burger at JR just pay for it then?

8 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

Yeah its a 7 night cruise.  We already have a lunch at Chops because we have the Key.  Since we never have been on a cruise before and you can only eat so much food I didnt want to just write the MDR off without trying it first.  I assume we can still make a reservation on the ship and just pay out of pocket if we wanted to right?  Or if we just wanted to grab a burger at JR just pay for it then?

does your cruise offer the 3 night package? If so I would do that. That way you get to experience the MDR and some restaurants. Best of both worlds!!. Plus getting a 3 night package is much cheaper than paying out of pocket of the ship.. 

13 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

does your cruise offer the 3 night package? If so I would do that. That way you get to experience the MDR and some restaurants. Best of both worlds!!. Plus getting a 3 night package is much cheaper than paying out of pocket of the ship.. 

Yes they have a 3 night package I believe for 80 right now.

44 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

Yes they have a 3 night package I believe for 80 right now.

Thats a good price.. I would take that deal.. Chops onboard by it self is $45-$50 a person.. I would buy the 3 night package and mix it up.. Honestly the MDR is just not what it used to me in my opinion the quality is just not as good. I still suggest going to it so you can judge for yourself but I would buy the 3 night package so you can mix it up and it would be fun. 

1 hour ago, 12thman said:

If you have the Unlimited do you get to eat at chops on embarkation day, same as people with the "key"? 

So far we are batting 1000 with embarkation lunch and UDP BUT I will also add that we have always had the benefit of having a Concierge or a Genie make our reservations in advance for us.  That is not to say that you would be turned away if you don’t have advanced reservations but we’ve just never tried to do it without advanced reservations.  In addition to always getting in, we have always received the “regular” lunch menu and not the more limited Key menu at Chops.

I love specialty dining on embarkation day. It is such a relief not to have to fight the crowds.

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

So far we are batting 1000 with embarkation lunch and UDP BUT I will also add that we have always had the benefit of having a Concierge or a Genie make our reservations in advance for us.  That is not to say that you would be turned away if you don’t have advanced reservations but we’ve just never tried to do it without advanced reservations.  In addition to always getting in, we have always received the “regular” lunch menu and not the more limited Key menu at Chops.

I love specialty dining on embarkation day. It is such a relief not to have to fight the crowds.

Thank you @WAAAYTOOO I think we get concierge in Sky class? When I get my email from them I'll inquire about lunch at chops.

4 hours ago, 12thman said:

Thank you @WAAAYTOOO I think we get concierge in Sky class? When I get my email from them I'll inquire about lunch at chops.

I would definitely make sure to do that. I’ve been stalking Key experience threads and have heard stories of people walking up to Chops without the Key or a reservation being told that they can’t dine there on embarkation day for lunch. I don’t think it was on Allure that this happened, but I wouldn’t chance it - esp if you have the concierge available to you. 

5 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

I would definitely make sure to do that. I’ve been stalking Key experience threads and have heard stories of people walking up to Chops without the Key or a reservation being told that they can’t dine there on embarkation day for lunch. I don’t think it was on Allure that this happened, but I wouldn’t chance it - esp if you have the concierge available to you. 

Will do. If they let me make reservations for lunch at Chops maybe we'll do that but after reading your live blog maybe ck for lunch on embarkation day?

21 hours ago, 12thman said:

Yes, you definitely will get an email from the Suites concierge (probably 5 days before you sail) if you are in Sky Class.  If you decide that you want to do Chops, just ask the Concierge to make a reservation for you for embarkation day.  ....and CK as a backup in case things go awry is not a bad option !

Additionally, you may also want to ask the Concierge to make your dinner reservations for the first night.  I always ask the Concierge to make lunch reservations and dinner reservations for the first night so that I at least know where I will be going that first day/night.  Once onboard you can make the reservations for the rest of the dinners.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, you definitely will get an email from the Suites concierge (probably 5 days before you sail) if you are in Sky Class.  If you decide that you want to do Chops, just ask the Concierge to make a reservation for you for embarkation day.  ....and CK as a backup in case things go awry is not a bad option !

Additionally, you may also want to ask the Concierge to make your dinner reservations for the first night.  I always ask the Concierge to make lunch reservations and dinner reservations for the first night so that I at least know where I will be going that first day/night.  Once onboard you can make the reservations for the rest of the dinners.

Thanks @WAAAYTOOO for the info. Is it possible to give our suites concierge all of dinner rezi requests in our reply email? I would prefer to get that squared away.

9 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Thanks @WAAAYTOOO for the info. Is it possible to give our suites concierge all of dinner rezi requests in our reply email? I would prefer to get that squared away.

Yes.  They can definitely take care of all of it before you ever get on board.  We never know that far ahead where we want to eat so we usually wait but sometimes we just have the Concierge make all of the reservations up front. You can always make changes as needed.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Thank you for confirming that!! I'll definitely follow your advice!! 

4 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

We usually do this and it's not a problem.  They can reserve the whole week.

On 5/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Here's a question (I might just ask this on Royal's Facebook page for kicks).  You have the Unlimited Dining Package. For some odd reason (I don't know, maybe you make friends on the cruise, you want to all have dinner together, they don't want to put out for specialty, whatever - weirder things have happened), you're going to have dinner MDR. Would the Unlimited Dining Package cover the Premium Selections (Whole Main Lobster, etc, from the bottom of the menu)?

Great question. Did you find out an answer? Also can you go to the MDR and get food from a speciality restaurant? I'm going will a group and that would/could work because not all are going to SR.