Anthem or Grandeur?

KJ1231

We are near Philly so just a couple hours from Baltimore or Bayonne.

I'm getting a little bonus at the end of the year and thinking about taking the family to Bermuda next July. Looking at a 5-night cruise to Bermuda on either Grandeur (Baltimore) or Anthem (Bayonne) next July. I'm about halfway between the 2 ports so either is fine.

There are 9 of us. My wife and I; 3 single 20-somethings that would share a stateroom; and my daughter's family - husband and 2 kids that will be 3 and 2 when we sail.

Grandeur looks less expensive, Anthem has more for kids (?).

Anything else to consider?

We are cruising at the end of December - wait for Next Cruise or book now? Free gratuities through MEI  if we book now.

Let me say up front that I have not yet sailed on Anthem.  I am going in Feb but that doesn't help you now...

I love Grandeur...but if I were a 20-something I think I would prefer Anthem.  It's a bigger and newer ship and there are by FAR more activities - especially activities for children and young adults - on Anthem vs Grandeur.

Grandeur may be a little less expensive, but there is a reason for that !  As I said, Anthem is a newer, bigger and more "equipped" ship than Grandeur.

If it were just you and your wife I would say Grandeur would be very nice, especially at a lower price...but thinking of the children and young adults, I would have to say that I BELIEVE they would find more to do on Anthem.

The advantages of booking with Next Cruise have been dwindling so I would say to go ahead and book with MEI and get the free grats.  Also, if you find any price drops on whichever ship you choose, MEI can help you take advantage of that.  If you book directly with Royal, you would have to do all of that yourself.  It's just nice to have a good TA on your side !

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It's just nice to have a good TA on your side ! 

Thanks! We booked our Alaska cruise directly with RCCL. Our next two coming in December and March were through MEI and already talking to Michelle about Bermuda. Didn't know if "Next Cruise" was worth the wait. 3 cabins x 5 nights x 2 gratuities ($29) = $435...not too shabby

Here's another thing to consider. The Anthem is a much larger ship than the Grandeur and if the open Atlantic Ocean has big swells/waves, the Grandeur will get bounced around more than the Anthem. For that reason we're doing the Anthem next July for the 5 day Bermuda cruise (we've never been to Bermuda). :27_sunglasses:

For my first cruise coming up with my 3 year old I chose Anthem instead of Grandeur due to it being more kid friendly. We are in northern Virginia so we were choosing between the two.

Also pricing for Grandeur is not that much cheaper than Anthem. I’ve been pricing both out for a possible second cruise (sans kid) and only a few sailings are cheaper than Anthem... when looking at a standard balcony. I know smaller, older ships tend to be cheaper but I haven’t really seen that with Lady G. I’m also very new to this so maybe it’s just been that way the few months I’ve been looking.

5 minutes ago, CruisinUngs said:

Also pricing for Grandeur is not that much cheaper than Anthem. I’ve been pricing both out for a possible second cruise (sans kid) and only a few sailings are cheaper than Anthem... when looking at a standard balcony. I know smaller, older ships tend to be cheaper but I haven’t really seen that with Lady G. I’m also very new to this so maybe it’s just been that way the few months I’ve been looking.

This has been my experience as well.  For the difference in age and location (also being from NOVA Baltimore is closer for us as well) I don't find Grandeur to be THAT much less.  I actually find Grandeur to be fairly expensive for what it is.  I expect that this has to do with the fees for porting in Baltimore more than anything else.

33 minutes ago, CruisinUngs said:

Also pricing for Grandeur is not that much cheaper than Anthem. I’ve been pricing both out for a possible second cruise (sans kid) and only a few sailings are cheaper than Anthem... when looking at a standard balcony.

22 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This has been my experience as well.  For the difference in age and location (also being from NOVA Baltimore is closer for us as well) I don't find Grandeur to be THAT much less.  I actually find Grandeur to be fairly expensive for what it is.  I expect that this has to do with the fees for porting in Baltimore more than anything else.

I saw this as well, but what I saw was that Grandeur was moderately to a lot less if I was looking at inside or ocean view rooms, and then more than Anthem when I looked at balcony rooms. I assume this just comes down to available inventory, as Anthem has a metric ship-ton more balconies available than Grandeur, but relatively limited inside and OV availability.

2 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

thinking about taking the family to Bermuda next July.

Might I interest you in the Anthem GC July 2019? Many of us are going, and many of us have kids.  The more the merrier!  And it goes to Bermuda.  That's one big reason why we booked.  That and we finally get to meet the great @Matt ?

I have never sailed Lady G, and I have 2 kids.  I would not hesitate to sail Lady G but would never dream of taking the kids on her.  Anthem hands down with kids.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:05 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Might I interest you in the Anthem GC July 2019? Many of us are going, and many of us have kids.  The more the merrier!  And it goes to Bermuda.  That's one big reason why we booked.  That and we finally get to meet the great @Matt ?

I have never sailed Lady G, and I have 2 kids.  I would not hesitate to sail Lady G but would never dream of taking the kids on her.  Anthem hands down with kids.

We opted for Anthem on 7/13. While I would like to do the GC, daddy is splurging for kids and grandkids and the extra 4 days put it out of my price range.

I have done the Anthem, but not Lady G.  I see Lady G on the same level as Enchantment which I have sailed.  JMPO, but with the group you are sailing with I would not even think about Lady G.  My biggest reason why, is the cruise is not port intensive.  We typically go with smaller ships when it is port intensive...in other words, no sea days, all port days, thus you don't need the things like North Star, I Fly, bumper cars, 3 different pools, etc.  Port intensive you are spending your day off the ship and only back on for dinner and shows at night, hence the shiny bobbles/attractions really mean very little.

I am a Jersey girl, that went to college in Philly.  I am 53 yo.  Personally, as I said before with your demographics for the group I would do Anthem all the way, no 2nd thought.  Anthem is harder to navigate at 1st compared to Lady G due to its size.  However, I would have no problem getting lost on the Anthem just because of the Solarium on that ship compared to Lady G.  The Solarium on Anthem is an Oasis.  It has hot tubs, swings to lounge on, lounge beds like the cabanas, bar, restaurant attached, and the peek a boo walk out deck.  Never had a problem finding a lounge chair, table, etc.  Never found the pool or bar crowded.  

Hope that helps.

One other reason to go Anthem...270 lounge which offers the Kummelwreck.

No offense to Lady G.

We have sailed both, with our children - Anthem is our choice with the teenagers, but when they were young, they liked Adventure Ocean on Grandeur better than on Quantum of the Seas. Grandeur has windows in that area and on the Quantum sized ships those areas are windowless.  Now they are 11 & 13 and Anthem is our drive-to ship of choice.  Grandeur is very relaxing.  Snoozarium relaxing.  On Anthem we do not stop moving, and there are many, many dining, entertainment, and activity choices.