Sunken dreams

Adventure of the Seas 5/18/18

On 5/21/2018 at 10:01 AM, JLMoran said:

Thanks for posting this! I was just asking about whether this even existed at Cape Liberty, and while I already got confirmation that it does, it's nice to see another real-time confirmation. Also glad to hear the seats are cushy, my tailbone says to say "thank you" to your tail bone for the vote of confidence! 😁

See my periscope of the area.  Not big.  Like a handful of chairs only.

On 5/21/2018 at 9:49 PM, Sunken dreams said:

Day 4 - Coco Cay

Sadly the parasailing was canceled due to weather, the wind won again. My wife grabbed a lounge chair and my son and I went to pick up the snorkeling equipment. The water was about the perfect temperature but the wind was kicking up waves so the deeper sections were closed to snorkeling. We headed out to the floating platforms and took in the underwater sights. In addition to the standard sunken boat and plane, we were lucky enough to see some nice schools of fish and quite a few sea slugs.   

The ice show for the evening was “Cool Art, Hot Ice”.  The doors opened at 7:30 for the 8pm show but y the time we got there at 7:15 there was already a huge crowd waiting for a seat. We were lucky to get good seats, but the seats filled up fast. The show was as good as I expected, and it’s easy to see why this is such a popular event on board. I still find it amazing these performers can put on a show while the boat is moving. 

My kids had their jet skis canceled due to the winds.  The group before them got out, then had to come back.  

We saw the last ice show - pretty empty.  My in-laws saw the lines earlier in the week, and got there really early expecting huge crowds.  We walked in 5 mins before.  LOL 

Wish I had known you were sailing with us; I had 18 & 20 yr old boys with me; they would've loved someone their age to hang with every now & then.

Just now, KathyC said:

Actually watched it after @twangster posted a link on my separate thread about this question, along with your other post showing the drive in. I can deal with small as long as it's not overly crowded when I get there. Port is only about a 45 minute drive from home, so I'm giving serious thought to leaving with the missus at 9:30 to bypass rush hour traffic and get there around 10:15. Hopefully they'll be taking in embarking passengers at that point, so we won't have to wait outside in the chilly October morning air.

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

Actually watched it after @twangster posted a link on my separate thread about this question, along with your other post showing the drive in. I can deal with small as long as it's not overly crowded when I get there. Port is only about a 45 minute drive from home, so I'm giving serious thought to leaving with the missus at 9:30 to bypass rush hour traffic and get there around 10:15. Hopefully they'll be taking in embarking passengers at that point, so we won't have to wait outside in the chilly October morning air.

I've arrived just after 10am by Lyft and they were accepting new guests so 10:15 after parking, etc. shouldn't be an issue.

Just now, twangster said:

I've arrived just after 10am by Lyft and they were accepting new guests so 10:15 after parking, etc. shouldn't be an issue.

Hmmm, since that probably means there will be traffic / lines getting into the port, maybe I'll leave closer to 9 in that case. I don't need to be that guy shouting "FIRST!", but I would like to be boarding as early as possible. She's a big ship, gonna need time on that first day to explore and find where everything is!

16 hours ago, Sunken dreams said:

Overall the three biggest highs of the cruise  in my opinion were:

*The Cruise Director Chris Brown and his staff

*Chops and Izumi

*Our Wait staff in the Main Dining Room

The lows:

* Water pressure in the stateroom (sink took forever to get hot water when I shaved and rinsing the razor  was next to impossible)

* Dated shows.  I really miss the Oasis shows

* The weather for the first half of the cruise. The gamble we take when booking so far in advance. 

I would for sure go on the Adventure again, although I still have so many more ships to explore. Current plans are the Anthem in November, Navigator in December, Serenade next June. 

For us, the CD & his staff were meh.  I can't tell you how many times we encountered them on the stairs, in the halls, and they don't even make eye contact let alone say hello.  They are great when "on", but without the mic in their face - nothing.

My in-laws complained they only had warm water in their bathroom sink, never got cold enough to even brush their teeth.  We had no problems like that, but our toilet smelled like pee the entire trip.

Only show we missed was ventriloquist.  I guess we should have gone! 

Just now, JLMoran said:

Hmmm, since that probably means there will be traffic / lines getting into the port, maybe I'll leave closer to 9 in that case. I don't need to be that guy shouting "FIRST!", but I would like to be boarding as early as possible. She's a big ship, gonna need time on that first day to explore and find where everything is!

When I arrived at 10:15am I wasn't anywhere close to 1st and there we already 15-20 diamond sitting down in the diamond chairs plus many other levels of C&A in their sitting areas.  Worst case you have to sit and wait depending on when US customs clears the ship for new guests.  

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

We arrived around 10:15 am they were already checking people in.  The suites area (to the left) was not crowded but there were already quite a few people on the right where general check in/boarding was.  

Just now, KathyC said:

As we were pulling out of the parking deck at 9:30, people were driving in.  LOL 

OK, then! Guess that means we're going to the port at 7:15, as soon as we've dropped off the younger one at high school! 😂

7 minutes ago, KathyC said:

My in-laws complained they only had warm water in their bathroom sink, never got cold enough to even brush their teeth.  We had no problems like that, but our toilet smelled like pee the entire trip.

I honestly thought the hot water to my sink was shut off until I had almost finished shaving and the water started to get hot. I think the water lines to the sink must be very long and with the water conserving screens on there just isn’t enough water getting to the sink to change the temperature on normal use. 

20 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Wish I had known you were sailing with us; I had 18 & 20 yr old boys with me; they would've loved someone their age to hang with every now & then.

My son is pretty anti-social. It’s hard to tell when he is willing to make an effort to be social although he is better since starting college. I would have loved to have met you and your family. I always wonder if I will run into someone who follows RoyalCaribbeanBlog. Matt got me hooked with his podcasts. 😄

12 minutes ago, KathyC said:

As we were pulling out of the parking deck at 9:30, people were driving in.  LOL 

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I saw people parked in the garage line at 5:30am waiting for the parking attendants to arrive.  

Did I just get dropped into the vacationer's version of Monty Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" skit? 😅

2 minutes ago, Sunken dreams said:

I honestly thought the hot water to my sink was shut off until I had almost finished shaving and the water started to get hot. I think the water lines to the sink must be very long and with the water conserving screens on there just isn’t enough water getting to the sink to change the temperature on normal use. 

My son is pretty anti-social. It’s hard to tell when he is willing to make an effort to be social although he is better since starting college. I would have loved to have met you and your family. I always wonder if I will run into someone who follows RoyalCaribbeanBlog. Matt got me hooked with his podcasts. 😄

Mine are not extremely outgoing either and will rarely take the initiative, but my 18 year old somehow seems to make friends with whomever is standing next to him.  I wonder where he gets that from? 😄

We were the only people we saw in RCBlog shirts throughout the week; I think Tony was disappointed no one asked him if he was Matt.  LOL!! 

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We arrived around 10:15 am they were already checking people in.  The suites area (to the left) was not crowded but there were already quite a few people on the right where general check in/boarding was.  

We got to the terminal right around 10:00. There was not really anything to do in the morning around the hotel. I expected to stand in a line waiting for security to open but we went right through to checkout. It was quite impressive how Royal processed people quickly, exact opposite of Carnival. 

34 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Was that your 'scope of the day resort in Nassau?   Wait - it was a FB video, right?  Periscope wasn't playing nicely?

I really enjoyed it, and had no idea that place was so close to the pier.

Just now, Floski said:

Was that your 'scope of the day resort in Nassau?   Wait - it was a FB video, right?  Periscope wasn't playing nicely?

I really enjoyed it, and had no idea that place was so close to the pier.

Yep!  That was me.  Cell service in Nassau was terrible.  CocoCay was so much better.  My husband got an international plan for the two days we were in the Bahamas.  Periscope wouldn't connect, then Facebook live cut in and out so I gave up.  

1 minute ago, KathyC said:

We were the only people we saw in RCBlog shirts throughout the week; I think Tony was disappointed no one asked him if he was Matt.  LOL!! 

I have been tracking the group cruises hoping to get one I could make but no luck so far. Someday...

My daughter made cruise T-shirts for me, mostly food related. She knows me too well. 

1 minute ago, Sunken dreams said:

I have been tracking the group cruises hoping to get one I could make but no luck so far. Someday...

Same...I would love to go on a RCBlog GC too.....the only one I can make is the Anthem one but I booked Symphony already for July 2019 😕

On 5/21/2018 at 9:49 PM, Sunken dreams said:

Day 4 - Coco Cay

This was my first visit to Coco Cay.  My wife and son headed off to the theater for their parasailing excursion while I took the regular tender to wait for them to finish. There were very few people on the tenders this early so I was able to walk right on. After a short wait to allow a few more people on, we headed over to the island. The new pier construction is well underway and will make access so much faster. We unloaded and after a short wait the tender with the first excursion group pulled in. Amazing enough, I had beat them by at least five or ten minutes!

Sadly the parasailing was canceled due to weather, the wind won again. My wife grabbed a lounge chair and my son and I went to pick up the snorkeling equipment. The water was about the perfect temperature but the wind was kicking up waves so the deeper sections were closed to snorkeling. We headed out to the floating platforms and took in the underwater sights. In addition to the standard sunken boat and plane, we were lucky enough to see some nice schools of fish and quite a few sea slugs. 

When we had our fill of swimming and drank plenty of sea water we decided to head back to the ship for some spa time,  lunch at the Windjammer and then an afternoon nap.  

Dinner in the main dining room was great as usual and service was excellent.  Our waiters brought extra appetizers and desserts “just in case” again and were sure to ask my son if he needed any more food. He is a skinny nineteen year old, but I never thought he looked under fed. 

The ice show for the evening was “Cool Art, Hot Ice”.  The doors opened at 7:30 for the 8pm show but by the time we got there at 7:15 there was already a huge crowd waiting for a seat. We were lucky to get good seats, but the seats filled up fast. The show was as good as I expected, and it’s easy to see why this is such a popular event on board. I still find it amazing these performers can put on a show while the boat is moving. 

Next up, Nassau Bahamas. 

I was on the same cruise... the winds were really bad that day, I couldn’t even rent an umbrella. Thankfully the clouds were working in my favor so I could last all day. One thing that bugged me about Coco cay was that even though I had the drink package I was essentially forced to purchase either a hollowed out pineapple or a souvenir cup if I wanted a frozen drink. The other options was to get a 6 ounce cup which lasted all of 10 Minutes just to wait in line another 15 to get another one. I reluctantly got the pineapple but was disappointed another option wasn’t available. That being said Coco cay remains one of my favorite places to visit and I’m glad I got there before the craziness begins next year.