How early to book?

We are meeting friends from Europe in FL in March 2019 for a cruise.  They insist we need to book ASAP as once cabins fill the price goes up.   I see the current sale on the RC site, but I'm not quite ready to commit yet.  I haven't fully understood what the pricing includes and what my cancellation options are.  I don't usually plan trips this far out.  Any tips on if I should book now or wait a bit? 

And book as early as possible....often the trend is that some of the lowest/best pricing is when the dates are first announced and then it tends to go up from there.

Of course, my other tip is to make sure your not looking/booking on the Royal website as that tends to be the highest/worst pricing out there.

Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

How does the refundable vs non-refundable deposit work in terms of getting a cheaper price adjustment? I wasn't sure which option to choose. 

No difference between the two.  With non-refundable, you can take advantage of a price drop just like with a normal fare. You just cannot change sail date or ship with non-refundable fare.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

No difference between the two.  With non-refundable, you can take advantage of a price drop just like with a normal fare. You just cannot change sail date or ship with non-refundable fare.

If you totally have to cancel can the deposit be credited to a future cruise? 

Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

Not with non-refundable.  In fact, with non-refundable you pay a penalty if you cancel.

If you cancel a refundable fare, then yes, you get all your money back (including deposit)...assuming you are not past the final payment date.

My advice is work with a travel agent and get the full picture of possibilities.  Last thing you want to do is assume one thing, and then realize you're assumption was incorrect.

5 hours ago, hoofbeats95 said:

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Not with non-refundable.  In fact, with non-refundable you pay a penalty if you cancel.

If you cancel a refundable fare, then yes, you get all your money back (including deposit)...assuming you are not past the final payment date.

My advice is work with a travel agent and get the full picture of possibilities.  Last thing you want to do is assume one thing, and then realize you're assumption was incorrect.

@Matt, I thought that a Non-Refundable Deposit booking does give you the deposit as future cruise credit if you have to completely cancel (minus the change fee)?

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

@Matt, I thought that a Non-Refundable Deposit booking does give you the deposit as future cruise credit if you have to completely cancel (minus the change fee)?

That's what I understood too unless it changed in the last few months. 

The thing to be careful with the FCC, it is specific to the name on the reservation and non-transferable. It also expires. And a child cannot apply it to KSF.

5 hours ago, hoofbeats95 said:

From their website:

Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee (the “FCC”). FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. 100USD/100CAD per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

For NextCruise bookings you have 30 days after booking an Non-refundable Deposit NextCruise booking (NDN) to make changes penalty free.  After 30 days but prior to the final payment due date the same FCC applies to NDN as it does to NRDB.

19 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I need to install an add-on to this board that prevents me from posting before I've had my morning coffee

For the 2 cruises I have done (that I paid for at least) were purchased around the 90-day mark. It can be cheaper but is risky in the fact that not much is left and could just as easily get higher. For my MSC cruise, there was a sale that was way too good to pass up so I booked it over a year in advance. I also don't book directly and use another site. I actually combine 2 sites (travelocity and ebates) who sometimes have sales to give you 14% back in a rebate (this comes 6 weeks after your trip.) When I get everything from my last cruise I'm putting it towards our next cruise deposit. It all depends how risky you want to play it though. If you have a certain ship and time I would book in advance. If you are like me and don't know your schedule until 2-3 months before try the 90 day mark.