Jump to content
UkuleleCruiser

Best city to live in?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We're taking a "scouting" trip to The Villages next month just to see how it is there.  We have a number of friends who are going to retire there within the next few years (some as early as May of this year).

I have heard good and bad things about it.  Neither of us are golfers so I'm not sure if we would use the amenities as much as our golf-loving friends...but we're definitely coming down there SOMEwhere...and soon.  It's 9 degrees here in northern Virginia today !  YIKES 

Bring a golf cart..  From what I understand there is a lot of promiscuity among the retires.  But there are some nice housing in gated communities.  But if you go to the "down town" area you will need a golf cart or you'll get run over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, arebee said:

Bring a golf cart..  From what I understand there is a lot of promiscuity among the retires.  But there are some nice housing in gated communities.  But if you go to the "down town" area you will need a golf cart or you'll get run over.

I've heard some crazy rumors about The Villages (basically people living out high school/college all over again), but all in all it sounds like a fun place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We're taking a "scouting" trip to The Villages next month just to see how it is there.  We have a number of friends who are going to retire there within the next few years (some as early as May of this year).

I have heard good and bad things about it.  Neither of us are golfers so I'm not sure if we would use the amenities as much as our golf-loving friends...but we're definitely coming down there SOMEwhere...and soon.  It's 9 degrees here in northern Virginia today !  YIKES 

My ex-girlfriend lived there with her parents for almost a year, and she worked as a waitress at Johnny Rockets.  Unlike on a ship, they danced and put on a show at various times, she said it was a lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

True story: while handing out candy this year for Halloween, someone came by and said "trick or treat...love the blog!" :6_smile: :51_scream:

But did you like my ALF costume???   I made it myself!

 

Oh....and how about next year give out some name brand candy?   Sheesh.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Floski said:

Pretty much all my life, I was fed the whole "NJ and NY suck" thanks to Baretta and Kojak, etc.  Nothin but bums, winos, hookers, and litter-filled streets.  

 

Man, was I dumb.  Get away from the city and NJ is beautiful.  I saw more different types of animals in NJ during my couple of days there than I've ever seen here.

 

And NYC blew my mind.  We stayed in Weehauken, and took the ferry over to the city and it was wonderful!   

 

Very good people up there, too.  More like "Friends" than "Jersey Shore".

visited NY for 1st time in july, saw lots of bums, wino's and litter filled streets but as hard as i tried i just couldn't find any hookers :9_innocent:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 5:50 PM, JLMoran said:

Yeah, forgot to mention that from NJ and Cape Liberty / NYC ports, you've got a TON of cruise lines available -- RCI, X, HAL, Disney, and NCL. No Carnival as far as I'm aware, but that's a solid plus in my book. :10_wink:

Carnival and Princess also sails out of NY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 5:24 PM, jce2 said:

What do I think?  ........ Get the heck out of Texas!!!

 

Gotta disagree with this completely.  DFW is a great place to live.  Cruising from Galveston is not my first choice, but it's a nice choice.  With the DFW airport right there, you can go anywhere in the world for your next cruise.  There is tons to do in Dallas, great restaurants... and no state income tax in Texas.  It's hot in the summer, but pretty good weather the rest of the year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

Gotta disagree with this completely.  DFW is a great place to live.  Cruising from Galveston is not my first choice, but it's a nice choice.  With the DFW airport right there, you can go anywhere in the world for your next cruise.  There is tons to do in Dallas, great restaurants... and no state income tax in Texas.  It's hot in the summer, but pretty good weather the rest of the year.  

I agree with your reasoning.  If you CAN'T live in Florida then the next best plan is to live near a major airport. If you're going to have to fly, you might as well try and make it a single leg event.  There are many downsides to living right outside of Washington, DC but one of the very important UPSIDES is our proximity to 2 major airports (I don't count Baltimore as it's not convenient for us at all).  At least when we fly, we can get to almost anywhere in Florida with a 1 leg flight.  There's nothing wrong with living in Boise, ID  but you're going to have to change planes no matter where you go.  Just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 9:05 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

We're taking a "scouting" trip to The Villages next month just to see how it is there.  We have a number of friends who are going to retire there within the next few years (some as early as May of this year).

I have heard good and bad things about it.  Neither of us are golfers so I'm not sure if we would use the amenities as much as our golf-loving friends...but we're definitely coming down there SOMEwhere...and soon.  It's 9 degrees here in northern Virginia today !  YIKES 

I went with an aunt & uncle who toured it last year.  I'm not the target audience, but I'm pretty sure I'd absolutely hate living there.  It's like a homeowner's association on steroids that also runs the local government all the way up to the county level.  That's a plus for some, but it's far too restrictive and rule-scolding for me.  You have to use this approved landscape company, you can only have these approved plants, you have to have an approved color, floorplan, pool enclosure, roofing material, driveway size and shape, etc.  It's also sounds like fee-city.  There was an association fee, an activity fee, a this fee, a that fee, and they probably have a covenant that lets them add and increase fees whenever they feel like it.  I haven't spoken to people who actually live there to understand if it's really as bad as it sounds, but that's the impression I got from the tour guide attempting to sell people on the place, so I'm assuming if it sounds that bad when they're trying to paint a rosy picture, the reality's even worse.

That said, having your neighbors on a tight leash and clearly defined parameters for how everything has to be appeals to some, so there's a lot that's just a matter of preference there.  I just feel like it's way too controlling.

The other big big issue I'd have with it is the fact it's a bit of a wasteland outside the borders of the compound and you're basically 2 hours from anything else.  Airport, Port Canaveral, Disney, Downtown Orlando, etc.  It's all 2, 2 and a half hours away.  If you don't plan on leaving much, that isn't an issue, and there are certainly a lot of activities on property (you're paying dearly for them, may as well take advantage). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i may be in a position this coming summer to consider a cross country relocation.  The thought of enduring Florida summers doesn't appeal to me but proximity to multiple cruise ports sure does.  I've lived near the coast in the Carolinas so I don't fear hurricanes (but I do respect them). 

Living close to many cruise ports may be hazardous to my bank account.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This one belongs in the "you know you're addicted when"...

...you consider moving to a certain location just because it's closer to a cruise port....

This makes me think of something I have said before, going to post it to the other thread now...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, RCVoyager said:

Gotta disagree with this completely.  DFW is a great place to live.  Cruising from Galveston is not my first choice, but it's a nice choice.  With the DFW airport right there, you can go anywhere in the world for your next cruise.  There is tons to do in Dallas, great restaurants... and no state income tax in Texas.  It's hot in the summer, but pretty good weather the rest of the year.  

I was attempting to be funny....I failed.  Actually, I just completed my first cruise and it departed out of Galveston.  We arrived in Galveston the day befor ehte cruise shortly before noon and stayed pretty much on the beach side of the island.  I got to say I was pleased at the friendly, helpful, upbeat attitude of virtually everyone I met down there!  It was a delightful day, despite the chill in the air and at least partially because of that we have booked our next cruise out of Galveston as well!  Our only disappointment in this choice was the voyage outgoing and incoming thru the gulf as it was choppy, windy, and cold.  Really couldn't enjoy above-deck much until we got in the Caribbean.  Of course I have never sailed anywhere else so have no way of knowing if the Atlantic is similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I have to say Grand Cayman is probably one of the nicest places to live. Warm all year, probably less hurricanes than Florida. TAX-FREE :10_wink::10_wink::10_wink:

Amazing scuba diving, stingray city, quick plane trip to most major cities in Florida. What more do you need?

I won’t argue any point with you!! You are lucky! But isn’t there is some kind of employment tax on non-citizens that is really high? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hutcherl said:

But isn’t there is some kind of employment tax on non-citizens that is really high? 

:42_confused::42_confused::42_confused: No, we do have work permit fees but that is paid by the employer unless you are lucky enough to be here for 10 years then to be a permanent resident you do need to pay a fee but if you're with a company that long they will most likely cover that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2018 at 3:51 PM, jce2 said:

I was attempting to be funny....I failed.  Actually, I just completed my first cruise and it departed out of Galveston.  We arrived in Galveston the day befor ehte cruise shortly before noon and stayed pretty much on the beach side of the island.  I got to say I was pleased at the friendly, helpful, upbeat attitude of virtually everyone I met down there!  It was a delightful day, despite the chill in the air and at least partially because of that we have booked our next cruise out of Galveston as well!  Our only disappointment in this choice was the voyage outgoing and incoming thru the gulf as it was choppy, windy, and cold.  Really couldn't enjoy above-deck much until we got in the Caribbean.  Of course I have never sailed anywhere else so have no way of knowing if the Atlantic is similar.

No problem jce2.  I hope I didn't come on too strong with my reply.  If you want to go to the Caribbean and have dependable weather, with the possible exception of September and October, San Juan is the ticket.  The Gulf and even Cayman and Jamaica can get the tail end of the fronts that cross the lower 48... especially in winter.  It can be cool, cloudy, and windy for days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

The Gulf and even Cayman and Jamaica can get the tail end of the fronts that cross the lower 48... especially in winter.  It can be cool, cloudy, and windy for days.

You say cool but the lowest it ever gets even with a cold front is in the 70s. Even when that big storm froze Northern Florida we were at perfect temps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...