twangster

Alaska Recap, Celebrity Millennium, June 2017

1 minute ago, twangster said:

You'll notice we were going around a bend in those shots.  Much easier to see the train when going around a curve :3_grin:

Some of those shots you were going around a bend, but ones like this:

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Alaska-19.jpg.3d930afccbcc2140aa78d377b0bea5de.jpg

Or this one:

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Alaska-30.jpg.89bbd905e5d131438815904edbb902e6.jpg

And all I can think is, "Teach me, master!" Well, that and, "For God's sake, watch your damn fool head! There's another train passing right next to you!:3_grin:

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Some of those shots you were going around a bend, but ones like this:

Or this one:

And all I can think is, "Teach me, master!" Well, that and, "For God's sake, watch your damn fool head! There's another train passing right next to you!:3_grin:

My camera has the ability to display a live shot on the LCD display so it's not like I try to stay behind the camera looking through the viewfinder in all my shots.  Sometimes I just stick it out there, click and hope for a good shot.  It's digital.  If its a junk shot I just delete it.  Wide angle lens help too.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Wide angle lens help too.

And there's the lesson, and also another reinforcement that I should invest in those add-on lenses for my phone! I never thought a wide angle lens made sense with a device that already has a 56mm equivalent that shoots pretty wide to start with, but you're convincing me otherwise.

8 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

And there's the lesson, and also another reinforcement that I should invest in those add-on lenses for my phone! I never thought a wide angle lens made sense with a device that already has a 56mm equivalent that shoots pretty wide to start with, but you're convincing me otherwise.

I shoot a full frame body.  14mm is about as wide as you can go without distortion.  50mm on full frame is a prime lens and very popular for portrait photography and some outdoor city scapes but for landscapes 50mm has a field of view that is too narrow IMO.  On a ship with small spaces UWA works really well.  My 12mm fisheye is a cool lens but you have to be very careful with fisheye and use it in conjunction with the natural curves and lines in the scene otherwise it just looks weird.

The other trick with a UWA for a shot like the other train coming at us - if the camera isn't level you can fix it in post but you lose some of the original photo.  Sometimes that's not a big deal with an UWA lens but with a prime like a 50mm you had better be perfect in every shot.  In other words a UWA lets you be a poor photographer and get away with it because you can fix it later with software.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Thanks.  Cold is a relative term.  Matt being from FL will likely have all the family in thermal underwear and Parkas.  I have Canadian blood so I was very comfortable, at least in the sun.  

I have proper ski gear for skiing in the Rockies and I didn't bring any of it to Alaska.  It would be way overkill for me.  Temps were in the 50s and 60s F but the ocean is very cold (there were large chucks of glacier not melting in it) so any time there was a breeze over water it was a cool breeze. 

Lol.  I'm from Canada too so 50s and 60s and we're smiling 🙂

15 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Lol.  I'm from Canada too so 50s and 60s and we're smiling 🙂

I have experienced 70's and 80's on a few of my Alaska cruises at the end of May and had to buy sunscreen on one of them.   Often, you only need your winter attire on the glacier viewing day, but raingear is also important. 

@twangster, your pictures are amazing. I have been to Alaska from San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver and Seward. I have been on over 15 Alaskan cruises and I can't get enough. I have been on every major cruise line. I started looking at my old pictures and I can see that we were almost taking pictures from the same spot. Thank you for taking me down memory lane. 

On 12/22/2017 at 3:09 PM, twangster said:

I shoot a full frame body.  14mm is about as wide as you can go without distortion.  50mm on full frame is a prime lens and very popular for portrait photography and some outdoor city scapes but for landscapes 50mm has a field of view that is too narrow IMO.  On a ship with small spaces UWA works really well.  My 12mm fisheye is a cool lens but you have to be very careful with fisheye and use it in conjunction with the natural curves and lines in the scene otherwise it just looks weird.

The other trick with a UWA for a shot like the other train coming at us - if the camera isn't level you can fix it in post but you lose some of the original photo.  Sometimes that's not a big deal with an UWA lens but with a prime like a 50mm you had better be perfect in every shot.  In other words a UWA lets you be a poor photographer and get away with it because you can fix it later with software.

I am reading your posts. I will be using my fisheye on my cruise. I will be posting for your opinions. Be on the lookout.

14 minutes ago, Celindamarie said:

Hi Twangster,

Your photo of your Alaskan cruise are amazing!  What type of camera, and what size zoom lens did you use?  We are going in July of 2019 and want to be able to get some great photos.

thanks!

Celindamarie

Thanks!   I am currently shooting with a Nikon D750.  On this trip I had a 14mm and a 28-300mm lens.  The best camera is the one you have with you.