Fly, snooze and cruise

Luvpets

Hello every one,  

This is my first time here and my first time going on a cruise.  I desperately need help with booking a hotel near port Canaveral along with a shuttle to take us from MCO to hotel, from hotel to the port then from the port Canaveral back to MCO.  We are a family of four and we only need 1 room for a night.  Most of the hotel in Port Canaveral, does not have this package available.  Just for a one way from the airport to the hotel, it would cost us $100.00+.  Does anyone have an idea where can I stay that will provide transportation to and from the Port Canaveral for a reasonable price?

Thank you all in advance.

Cocoa Beach is where you want to stay. Its very close to the port and there are many dining options in the area. The Radisson Resort at the Port has a complimentary shuttle to and from the port.  Not sure what your price range is for the hotel but a google search should come up with many options. 

Shuttle service from MCO to Cocoa Beach is going to cost you about the $100 you mentioned. You could rent a car for probably around the same but that is going to add the extra hassle of someone in your party dropping it off when you get to the port and then again at MCO when you leave.

I’ll be planning the same as soon as southwest opens new flights(Nov 2) for our June Oasis sailing for a group of 5.  For us it will depend on our flight times.  If we get in early the day before, then we will look to make a beach day out of it and will look to stay near the pier in Cocoa Beach.  Late arrival, then will look for a reasonable room near the port with dinner options. 

As far as transportation, renting a car seems to be a popular option. Especially if you are arriving early the day before and can use the car for other purposes.  I have done this there long ago and it worked out fine.  But there’s plenty of transportation options.  To say what’s best depends on what your plans are for the area.  

In our case, the flight times will dictate where we stay and our transportation needs. 

We did this last year for our group of 8.  We used the hotel shuttle to get from MCO to the hotel (Hampton Inn and Suites @ Gateway Village in Orlando) then we used Star Trans VIP to shuttle us to Port Canaveral and after the cruise we did a shore excursion/airport shuttle back to MCO.  It all went like clockwork.  Enjoy your first cruise, you will love it.

uites Orlando Airport @ Gateway Village

We have a cruise planned for Dec 22 of this year leaving from Port Canaveral, and I used  Go Port Canaveral, you pay one price and get a room, parking for your car as well as a shuttle for one price.  I paid about $180 for a room at a 5 star hotel, shuttle transportation to and from the port as well as cruise parking for the 4 days since we are driving down.  This will be the very first time using it and will let you know how well it goes! 

PS, they also have packages that is for those flying in, not sure of the price but I am sure that it is much less than getting everything separately.  

We did cocoa beach shuttle.   It was 83 a couple years ago and that was to go from mco to our la quinta hotel and then the shuttle from the hotel to the shop.  They were great and even brought my daughter's jacket back the next day before we cruised.  

Cocoa beach is a great way to start your cruise.   We stayed on the beach and felt like we really had an extra vacation day.  Depending on the hotel,  it can be cheaper than the port Canaveral hotels...i haven't really priced those though.  Jane

20 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

I would recommend renting a van from MCO & surrounding areas.  Book a hotel near the Cocoa Beach area.  The major rental car companies will have a shuttle to take your family to your cruise ship.  Just make sure you choose the drop-off location to the one closest to Port Canaveral.

I like this idea

There is a whole website dedicated to this with MANY hotels available in the Port Canaveral/Coco Beach area. I have no idea why it would be an issue at all.

On top of that, a lot of the hotels in MCO offer shared shuttle service to the cruise ship and back to the airport as well.

I am not sure if its the price that is the issue/question that the OP has or is it that they are saying they cant find anything available?

I recommend you rent a van/SUV (one way) from Hertz at the Orlando airport.  Drive to Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach and stay at the Residence Inn on Astronaut Blvd (8959 Astronaut Blvd).  The hotel and the Hertz rental office share a parking lot so when you are ready to turn in the van all you have to do is park it, drop the keys in the drop box and walk 50 steps to the hotel.  There is a shuttle to take you to the port the next morning.

The nice thing is, you get to use the van all day and as long as you want into the evening.  You can go see the sites, visit the Cape, have some dinner at one of the GREAT seafood restaurants down near the port or do whatever you want and turn in the car after the Hertz office closes.

Returning, we usually just take the royal bus service from the port to the airport.  I know a lot of people don't like the bus service but we find it to work fine and it seems a reasonable price.

Speaking of price, the hotel will run you about $300 for the night.  We paid this price for a 2 BR, 2 bathroom suite so I'm sure you wouldn't need anything more than that.  The 1 way car rental was $118 plus some taxes, I'm sure.  I can't remember whether there was a charge for the hotel shuttle to the port but I assume there was.  Probably $10-$15.  I think the bus shuttle from the port to the airport is $75/pp.  Maybe doing a 1 way car rental back the other way may work better for you.

Good luck !!

On 10/15/2017 at 2:15 AM, Luvpets said:

Hello every one,  

This is my first time here and my first time going on a cruise.  I desperately need help with booking a hotel near port Canaveral along with a shuttle to take us from MCO to hotel, from hotel to the port then from the port Canaveral back to MCO.  We are a family of four and we only need 1 room for a night.  Most of the hotel in Port Canaveral, does not have this package available.  Just for a one way from the airport to the hotel, it would cost us $100.00+.  Does anyone have an idea where can I stay that will provide transportation to and from the Port Canaveral for a reasonable price?

Thank you all in advance.

MCO is not exactly close to the port, that's why the hotels in the port area either do not offer this service, or they don't do it cheaply.   We were supposed to cruise out of Port Canaveral in September but thanks to Irma that didn't happen.  But we did have a hotel that did offer this service.  They would send the Cocoa Beach Shuttle to MCO for you and bring you to the hotel, then the shuttle would pick you up the next morning and bring you to the ship.  Finally, upon disembarkation, you caught the Cocoa Beach Shuttle back to the airport.  This was a service you had to call the hotel directly to book, it is not available on their website.  I'm thinking other hotels may do the same thing.  

Here is the website:  http://bestwesterncocoabeach.com/cruise/  Scroll down to the Fly, snooze and cruise section.  Since we didn't actually end up staying there I can't vouch for the actual hotel, but the price in September for two of us was around $230?  I think? 

23 minutes ago, KathyC said:

MCO is not exactly close to the port, that's why the hotels in the port area either do not offer this service, or they don't do it cheaply.   We were supposed to cruise out of Port Canaveral in September but thanks to Irma that didn't happen.  But we did have a hotel that did offer this service.  They would send the Cocoa Beach Shuttle to MCO for you and bring you to the hotel, then the shuttle would pick you up the next morning and bring you to the ship.  Finally, upon disembarkation, you caught the Cocoa Beach Shuttle back to the airport.  This was a service you had to call the hotel directly to book, it is not available on their website.  I'm thinking other hotels may do the same thing.  

Here is the website:  http://bestwesterncocoabeach.com/cruise/  Scroll down to the Fly, snooze and cruise section.  Since we didn't actually end up staying there I can't vouch for the actual hotel, but the price in September for two of us was around $230?  I think? 

I have stayed at the Best Western.  They have complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby in the mornings.  Good service.  Clean.  It is what it is.  Just a bed to stay the night before the cruise.  There is some noise because it is along a major road and there's a trucker stop next door.