Best room options for Family of four on Symphony

Hi,

We are booked on Symphony early 2025. I have booked a balcony room. I am now thinking it is not the best option for the four of us which includes two teenagers. I am sure they wont be happy to share a bed (pull out couch).

I have called RCL to request a price on a ultra spacious cabin, the price comes in more than double the original cost. I have also asked to change to two interior rooms. unfortunately, I can"t "downgrade" the room type that is already booked.

Does anyone have any ideas other than paying for an adjoining balcony, or do I just need to accept that it will be a cosy vacation.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Kezza said:

Hi,

We are booked on Symphony early 2025. I have booked a balcony room. I am now thinking it is not the best option for the four of us which includes two teenagers. I am sure they wont be happy to share a bed (pull out couch).

I have called RCL to request a price on a ultra spacious cabin, the price comes in more than double the original cost. I have also asked to change to two interior rooms. unfortunately, I can"t "downgrade" the room type that is already booked.

Does anyone have any ideas other than paying for an adjoining balcony, or do I just need to accept that it will be a cosy vacation.

Thanks

You can downgrade, you would have to remove the pax and add a room. The deal would be that one adult has to be in the room on the booking with the children under 21. But it doesn't matter who sleeps in each room.

25 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

I booked adjoining balcony rooms. It's a bonus because my wife doesn't drink much and now I can get the DBP for just me since I am the only adult in the room.

I always do the exact same thing for the exact same reason!! Adjoining balcony is the way to go with teenagers for the extra bathroom, if nothing else. 

11 hours ago, Kezza said:

Hi,

Thanks

Does the second room have to have a balcony? Could you do an inside room across the hall for your teens?

I’m doing the connecting balcony rooms in May.  My daughter with one of her sons in one room…me and the other son in the other room.  It ended up being much more costly than my original plan of the 4 of us (KSF) in one balcony room…but…in my eyes so worth it for the extra bathroom and space!  

Family of 4 here (younger children). We are comfortable in JS and higher level rooms. We sail weekends on Freedom often and have been ok in a balcony when there are no suites available. I would imagine as my kids get older the best option is going to be adjoining balcony cabins to give them privacy. 

Sounds like you’ve exhausted your options.  Embrace “the suck” and you’ll endure.  I’m sure there will be many happy memories made and a few good laughs(when you look back!).  
if the teens will be “that miserable” pack a sleeping bag and put one on the balcony-the problem is you’ll have to hear the door open and close, or pack them 2 sleeping bags and don’t pull out the sofa. 

The bright side-you’re going on a cruise!!  If you have a good enough time you can book another cruise-this time with 2 cabins. as others stated-put 1 adult/1 teen in each cabin…then swap keys.  Or if you book 2 adults in a cabin the 2 teens must be directly across from or adjoining/connecting cabin,. 

On 3/12/2024 at 7:59 PM, Ampurp85 said:

You can downgrade, you would have to remove the pax and add a room. The deal would be that one adult has to be in the room on the booking with the children under 21. But it doesn't matter who sleeps in each room.

Actually you can have the kids in their own room if it connecting, adjoining or directly across.  We’ve done all 3 as well as a 2br suite.  I find it easier to have the kids in their own room as it’s nice going into your own room and you don’t need an extra key made.  The advantage to splitting up the adults is if you don’t want to buy 2 drink packages.  This is where a travel agent would come in handy.  She can find the rooms.  If you can afford it, the 2 rooms are a blessing but will always cost more than 4 in a room.