Found a cruise line website worse than RCL by far!

RCIfan1912

Just for fun, just to check out prices I went on to the MSC website. Now i have no intention of sailing with them, Brooklyn alone is enough of a reason over Cape Liberty. But I hear how cheap the cruises are so why not look. The website is so bad I almost gave up 2 or 3 times. When you add kids they want the actual birth dates, and there are 3 categories, 0-1, 2-11 and 11-17. and then birth dates, like why? I could not get past this part because after several tries I noticed they want the full year, not just year-20 it wants 2020 or 2018. When you get the cabin you want they want more info. Its confusing annoying. 

I now appreciate Royal Caribbeans website much, much more. It was cheaper but not enough to deal with all that. 

Probability off topic but, websites in general.....

Back in the day, HTML was king. Sites were far simpler. Then cam audo, then video, cookies, dynamic HTML and Java script. Now every company in the world knows what you ate for breakfast. Yet....developers can not seem to make an intuitive interface for the end user.

One of my pet peeves, entering your state in an address block. Everyone knows the two letter abbreviation for their state and it is so easy to type AK or NY or TX. But noooooo....you have to navigate a drop down box, scroll and find your state. Sometimes, even your country. Yet......advertisers seem to know exactly where you are with no questions asked.

OK...I'm done.

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I had to go see what the fuss was about.

Goodness, it feels like trying to book a flight on Frontier's website. So many nickel and dime options.

It's really, really annoying right? I was getting so frustrated with it. Just to do a mock booking it was just ridiculous. 

While I admit it is not as intuitive as Royals, I didn't find MSC's site the worst one I have ever used. 

We booked our upcoming MSC cruise with a travel agent, something I don't usually do.  But the price couldn't be beat, getting yacht club for the same price as an OV on Symphony for the same week.

Funny you say this, MSC JUST upgraded that site and it's 100x easier to use now. You should have seen it 3-4 months ago.  I don't think it's TOO difficult now, but they have different levels of "kids" because they charge differently, under 11 is free for certain sailings, under 17 is free for others.   I am booked with MSC for December, I did everything on the phone, but mock booked it through the site first.  They do have great deals, when I booked almost a year ago I was able to book an OV Balcony for 3 of us- 7 nights, with adult drink packages for the adults (and I don't even drink) and a "Minors package" for the kid, plus WIfi for two, in the slightly upgraded "Fantastica class" (which just means you can change your date once, which I actually did, you get to pick your room location and get no delivery charges for room service breakfast.) on the newest U.S ship for under 2500 bucks.  And it's a pretty good itinerary that we've never done... the reviews of MSC are SO up and down, we figured for that price, they'd have to serve us dog food and never clean our rooms for us to have a bad time! 

I just hate to do a mock booking you had to put in the actual birthday of the kids. Instead of just 2 kids 2-11. I had to think about ok they'll be this old at the time of sailing and these are bdays. I find it really annoying. 

In the end I always use a TA but a mock booking is how I find the cruise at the price I like. 

48 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I just hate to do a mock booking you had to put in the actual birthday of the kids. Instead of just 2 kids 2-11. I had to think about ok they'll be this old at the time of sailing and these are bdays. I find it really annoying. 

In the end I always use a TA but a mock booking is how I find the cruise at the price I like. 

For a mock booking can't you use fake dates, same age but different months and days? 

7 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

For a mock booking can't you use fake dates, same age but different months and days? 

You can use any date but it has to be in the that age bracket. Royal it just asks how many kids up to 12. You did have to put in the actual birthday till you actually get to who is traveling part. Royal you can basically do the entire mock booking without that step. I just found it very cumbersome on the MSC website. 

7 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

MSC is having a bad day....they banned the Youtube channel Cruising with Ben and David from filming video on their ships and the word is spreading. I have my popcorn out.

So glad someone brought this up. I think MSC did themselves some major bad press with there treatment of Ben and David.