Genie Service

We have an upcoming cruise with Genie Service on the ALLURE, and we have some questions: 1. Does the prepaid tip cover the Genie? If not, what is the amount others have tipped or is there suggested amount to cover an average service? Are they dictated to your suite? Assume they are like on standby? Assume they will cover the things that a suite concierge would handle? What type of service do most of you use a Genie for? We are traveling with our grandsons (13 and 14) and were hoping a Genie could assist with keeping them active and out of trouble. In addition, would appreciate any other suggestion or experiences that you are willing to share. 

No, the Genie’s tip is not included in your fare or in your gratuity.

The Genie is excellent at helping arrange activities for all guests but they are not babysitters (realizing that in your situation they are not “babies”).  On standby ?  Not sure I understand the question but rest assured, they are there to help you enjoy your cruise.  Genies can be elusive, if that’s what you want, or they can be very involved with your schedule, if that’s what you want.

Genies will help with scheduling meals, arrange for snacks to be delivered to your suite, arrange reserved seating for theater events, etc.  Basically, anything for which you need a reservation.  Yes, they are super-charged concierges.

Have you read any of the Star Class live blogs on this site ?  There are many and they will really give you a great idea of what the Genie does.

Enjoy your SC cruise on Allure.  Your grandsons are very lucky and frankly, they are the perfect age for enjoying the benefits of a Genie.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

No, the Genie’s tip is not included in your fare or in your gratuity.

The Genie is excellent at helping arrange activities for all guests but they are not babysitters (realizing that in your situation they are not “babies”).  On standby ?  Not sure I understand the question but rest assured, they are there to help you enjoy your cruise.  Genies can be elusive, if that’s what you want, or they can be very involved with your schedule, if that’s what you want.

Genies will help with scheduling meals, arrange for snacks to be delivered to your suite, arrange reserved seating for theater events, etc.  Basically, anything for which you need a reservation.  Yes, they are super-charged concierges.

Have you read any of the Star Class live blogs on this site ?  There are many and they will really give you a great idea of what the Genie does.

Enjoy your SC cruise on Allure.  Your grandsons are very lucky and frankly, they are the perfect age for enjoying the benefits of a Genie.

@cookie10* this sums it up perfectly. 
To add just a bit more, there is no correct amount to tip a genie. As already said, when you ask that question, you will find all sorts of answers ranging from $100 per person, $100 per day, and insane amounts. Tip what you feel is best. There is no real right answer here. But like @WAAAYTOOO said, it’s not included in your cruise fare or prepaid gratuities. 

Just wanted to add that there may be times when genie “goes back into the bottle” as well. I’m not sure just how hard it is to get them to pop out during those times but I asked mine and his hours as stated are 9am-1pm and 5-10pm. I’m sure if we asked for something during the mid day period, he could make it happen but I’m also going to attempt to respect his given hours and make our requests during the available time so that he can arrange delivery etc if it’s happening during that peak time gap. 

activity wise- I looked on here at recent cruise compasses to get an idea of what, when, and where things were happening. Let the boys look it over. They might find some things they would like to do and that will take care of any boredom related issues. If there’s nothing on here, then ask the genie for copies. I’m sure they can get that for you. 

There are 3 genies per ship, meaning they will typically have 3-4 suites per sailing. They are not solely dedicated to one room. You could expect to see them 1-4 times per day for a few minutes each time.  usually they will drop in to say hello during dinner, sometimes lunch depending on what you’re doing, and if you’re going to a show you will see them then. You would also see them for specific activities like getting off the ship, dedicated flow rider time etc. otherwise you communicate via what’s ap messenger. 

1 hour ago, 27th Lady said:

There are 3 genies per ship, meaning they will typically have 3-4 suites per sailing. They are not solely dedicated to one room.

Unless that room is a VVIP then they get a genie for that room and the other genies have to share the other cabins. It didn't happen to me but I would think you could feel it if the genie has suddenly 5 rooms instead of 3 especially if they all are demanding (time wise).