Nassau cruise port installing free wifi

https://www.cruisehive.com/bahamas-destination-to-offer-free-wifi-for-cruise-passengers/123964

Nassau will be outfitted with high-speed WiFi for guests to use throughout the port as a “smart city pilot.”

The installation began on February 14, 2024, with plans to have WiFi available at the cruise port at some point during the second quarter of the year. The service will be free and is expected to extend as far west as Arawak Cay and as far east as the Sir Sidney Poitier Bridge. 

35 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

that may somewhat hurt some of the bars/restaurants along that area...that offer WIFI to paying guests?......

It may a little, but I think the goal is to get more people off the ship who otherwise find no redeeming qualities in a Nassau stop. And that may bring more traffic to those bars/restaurants.

9 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Next, have them install something to do.

Additional enhancements, aside from the WiFi, are also in the works for 2024. While phase 1 of Nassau’s improvement plan focused on accommodating more and larger cruise ships, phase 2 is more focused on improving the experience on land. For example, a new signature restaurant and several other family-friendly attractions are also scheduled to be completed in 2024. 

18 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

accommodating more and larger cruise ships

More cruise ships? 

This month (Feb. '24) there is an average of FOUR ships per DAY, and on four days there are SIX (which I assume is the current maximum). Do we really need a port with seven large cruise ships docked in one day?

And what do they mean larger? We've seen Icon dock there. How much bigger are we getting? 😂

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

More cruise ships? 

This month (Feb. '24) there is an average of FOUR ships per DAY, and on four days there are SIX (which I assume is the current maximum). Do we really need a port with seven large cruise ships docked in one day?

And what do they mean larger? We've seen Icon dock there. How much bigger are we getting? 😂

Just speculating,and I could very well be wrong, but how many of the larger size ships can Nassau have in port on any given day. Can all of those berths handle a large ship? Perhaps they want to be able to take on more larger ships at one time.

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

The one thing I wish they would do is use that big outside stage when ships were in port- it seems its used more for night time entertainment. 

I presume that stage is exclusively for the locals to use during Carnival and the Goombay Festival. Much like the grandstands that are left up year round and--quite strangely--take up some seemingly very valuable real estate on Bay Street.

I think it is wonderful that part of the port of Nassau is dedicated for use by the residents of Nassau since it is they who the area was taken away from. 

OTOH, let me be the first to say, Mother Nature does not want a great big canvas sail to be installed on the island of New Providence. Someday soon she is going to let the port of Nassau know how little she wants a great big tall anything to be in the Bahamas.

3 hours ago, jeffmw said:

More cruise ships? 

Four? Six? Pfft.

On Valentine's Day, there were NINE ships in Cozumel- including both Wonder OTS and Mariner OTS (albeit at three different docking locations). Fortunately for us, Celebrity Reflection was one of the two docked downtown (plus another that arrived for an overnight stay after Norwegian Prima departed).

16 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Four? Six? Pfft.

On Valentine's Day, there were NINE ships in Cozumel- including both Wonder OTS and Mariner OTS (albeit at three different docking locations). Fortunately for us, Celebrity Reflection was one of the two docked downtown (plus another that arrived for an overnight stay after Norwegian Prima departed).

I will say Cozumel is more built to handle it and there's a lot more to do around there, but nine is insane. 😲

On 2/21/2024 at 1:26 PM, smokeybandit said:

It may a little, but I think the goal is to get more people off the ship who otherwise find no redeeming qualities in a Nassau stop. And that may bring more traffic to those bars/restaurants.

Based on current events, I'd be more likely to spend time off the ship if there was shopping and other amenities like Wi-Fi within the secure area at Nassau. I like the Cozumel model.  I know I pay a bit more in Cozumel when shopping at the vendors at the port area but the cost savings out in town is negated by the cost of a taxi. 

14 minutes ago, Last2Know said:

Based on current events, I'd be more likely to spend time off the ship if there was shopping and other amenities like Wi-Fi within the secure area at Nassau. I like the Cozumel model.  I know I pay a bit more in Cozumel when shopping at the vendors at the port area but the cost savings out in town is negated by the cost of a taxi. 

That's what was so nice about docking downtown on our recent Celebrity cruise. Access to the local vendors just outside the pier area.