Labadee Questions

devbak150

The map shows artisan Market, Showcase and Village. Which is the one to avoid?  I do want to get some souvenirs and I saw on video to avoid the pushy vendors but there is a store that has things that is ok.  We reserved a day bed in Adrenalin beach I believe.  I see there is a bar and I am guessing food somewhere close as well, cafe I think. Is that a buffet place? Are there jellyfish at all here, I was stung in Coco Cay. Any other tips, hints. Thanks!!

Folks see what they want to see, so answers will be polarized.  What is viewed as pushy to one, may be seen as a  quaint custom to another.

Last time I was in Labadee, I professed the vendors to be the pushiest of any in the Caribbean.  They are your friend.  What's your name?,  they ask.  If you tell them, in seconds they'll have your name carved on one of their coconut trinkets.  Then you better darn well buy it. 

My Wife was there a few days ago, bringing with her a friend who's never been there.  My wife said it's even worse now.  Vendors were grabbing their arms, separating them, and attempting to drag them into their little vendor shacks.   These vendors were ravenous.  My Wife had to yell at them to leave them alone, causing attention from the other vendors and other tourists.  It was because of this, the vendors backed off. 

I am done with Labadee, other than the beach areas. 

I was last in Labadee in 2014 and I remember so clearly now how pushy they were back then and how uncomfortable I was. I ended up walking through that path on my way to get something (maybe beach floats ran out where we were?) and I clearly didn't have money with me - I was in a bathing suit with a towel and had my SeaPass card on a lanyard, but they still yelled and heckled and cajoled, non stop. I can't imagine how it would be having gotten WORSE.

4 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I was last in Labadee in 2014 and I remember so clearly now how pushy they were back then and how uncomfortable I was. I ended up walking through that path on my way to get something (maybe beach floats ran out where we were?) and I clearly didn't have money with me - I was in a bathing suit with a towel and had my SeaPass card on a lanyard, but they still yelled and heckled and cajoled, non stop. I can't imagine how it would be having gotten WORSE.

I just came back to say that I never felt like I was physically in danger - I was just emotionally uncomfortable. And I have a huge amount of sympathy for these vendors, and the circumstances that lead them to feel they have to act like that in order to generate some income for the day. I'm sure they have very little other economic opportunity.  

On 2/12/2024 at 8:00 PM, devbak150 said:

The map shows artisan Market, Showcase and Village. Which is the one to avoid?  I do want to get some souvenirs and I saw on video to avoid the pushy vendors but there is a store that has things that is ok.  We reserved a day bed in Adrenalin beach I believe.  I see there is a bar and I am guessing food somewhere close as well, cafe I think. Is that a buffet place? Are there jellyfish at all here, I was stung in Coco Cay. Any other tips, hints. Thanks!!

We avoid the back road between beaches and shop at the fixed price store. Have found what we want there.

If you want to avoid classic Caribbean market feel (where they yell for you attention and try to hand you things and "pester" you to come by) I think avoid the Village. The artisan market is less about haggling and from what I hear is more calm. The vendors kind of just sit and wait for you to come to them. I think they also have the least original stuff and, as I'm sure they have to pay more to be there, have higher prices as well.

Behind that is a long uphill path with shops on the side. This path is where the vendors will "hey sista! hey pretty lady come see! no no I have the best come! come! come!" and they will overcharge the CRAP out of you if you don't know how to haggle. But I was also there only a couple years ago and it's quite easy to just shout back "no no! not shopping!" as you keep walking by. And no they don't always take that as answer (I have like...5 fabric bracelets from vendors who wanted me to take it for free just so that I would come back) but keep saying "no no" and keep walking. I was never grabbed or coerced or forced into any store while I said no. When I did stop, however, I was a prime target and everyone for 5 shops on either side of the one I went to and I had to be more confident and firm in brushing them off.

So TL;DR - artisan market is probably the place to go to avoid the local market feel. Avoid the long path. In all cases, be firm and persistent in saying no and make sure your body language and what you're saying match.

I was there in November and saw no jellyfish at Columbus Cove…it’s a pretty decent walk to get there but IMO worth the effort.  There were venders set up behind the beach chair area but if you don’t look at them they leave you alone…that was my experience.  This beach area is very quiet and there is a food area close by as well as a bar.  The water was perfect!

BTW this was my second trip to Labadee and I will be there again this May.  My first time we grabbed chairs at Adrenalin Beach.  I wasn’t impressed as there was lots of seaweed in the water!  Actually there was a little area behind where we sat that was most likely for kids…but I had fun there!  Also there was a bit of a walk to the bathrooms and food area.  I know you have a cabana so hopefully your visit will be different from mine!