Cruising through the Panama Canal backwards?

I was sitting at the dinner table on Vision of the Seas and someone asked, "Who has plans for a future cruise?" so I told everyone that I'll be sailing on Radiance of the Seas in October.

The next evening, everybody seemed knowledgeable about my pick and I realized that they must have visited the Next Cruise help desk and asked about it.

It felt promising that all of these seasoned cruisers at our diner table were interested enough to gather some more information about it.

They were a little critical of it though because it's a "repositioning cruise" and because it "goes through the Panama Canal backwards". I have no idea why those are supposed to be bad things. Any ideas?

We'll be flying from our home in Nashville to Los Angeles, cruising from Los Angeles to Tampa, and then we will fly from Tampa back to Nashville.

Two things that I appreciate about this cruise is that when you're cruise is over, you just want to get back home and our "long haul" flight to Los Angeles is done and over with on day one.

The second thing is that on my previous cruise is that we had five port days back to back and I thought that was too much too fast. I think this one has a sea day in between each port day. Awesome.

Radiance of the Seas
Maiden voyage 2001
Capacity 2,501 passengers
Crew 859

Radiance of the Seas
16 Night Panama Canal Cruise
October 4th to 21st 2024

Day 0 - Airplane ride

Day 1 - Los Angeles, California

Day 2 - Cruising

Day 3 - Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Tender

Day 4 - Mazatlan, Mexico

Day 5 - Cruising

Day 6 - Cruising

Day 7 - Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Day 8 - Cruising

Day 9 Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Day 10 - Cruising

Day 11 - Panama Canal, Panama

Day 12 - Colón, Panama

Day 13 - Cartagena, Colombia

Day 14 - Cruising

Day 15 - George Town, Grand Cayman - Tender

Day 16 - Cruising

Day 17 - Tampa, Florida

Maybe they're referring to the fact that you lose a couple of hours sailing west to east as opposed to gaining when you go the other way? 🤔

Anyway it looks like a great itinerary to me. An ocean to ocean Panama Canal cruise is way up at the top of my bucket list. I'd just prefer Miami/Fort Lauderdale over Tampa but that's purely because, for us, Tampa is much more difficult travel-wise.

It is a great cruise either way.  Should be moderate weather in October. Locking through is pretty exciting and most of the day will be spent traversing Lake Gatun.  Puntarenas and Cabo were my favorite ports. You can spend all day just walking the waterfront in Cabo and if you are adventurous, there is an active volcano you can hike in Costa Rica.

Due to the long trip, we had the opportunity to meet some really nice people on the cruise and would spend time with them playing trivia, having pre dinner cocktails and so on. A smaller ship, good companionship ... it all hearkened back earlier days of cruising without all the noise and blare of the current mega ships.

My only disappointment was seeing the ship depart after the cruise. I wish I had done a B2B. That would have been over a month on board.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I have done Northbound and Southbound transits of the Panama Canal. 

There is no forward or backwards to the canal.  It has always operated in both directions.  

Did you find you preferred one direction over the other?

13 minutes ago, Ditchdoc said:

It is a great cruise either way.  Should be moderate weather in October. Locking through is pretty exciting and most of the day will be spent traversing Lake Gatun.  Puntarenas and Cabo were my favorite ports. You can spend all day just walking the waterfront in Cabo and if you are adventurous, there is an active volcano you can hike in Costa Rica.

Due to the long trip, we had the opportunity to meet some really nice people on the cruise and would spend time with them playing trivia, having pre dinner cocktails and so on. A smaller ship, good companionship ... it all hearkened back earlier days of cruising without all the noise and blare of the current mega ships.

My only disappointment was seeing the ship depart after the cruise. I wish I had done a B2B. That would have been over a month on board.

I would have loved to do that round trip that Serenade just did before setting off for the world cruise.

Whoever you were talking to was either smarter than all of us or far dumber than all of us. 

The Panama Canal does flow from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and the elevation does drop about 85 feet in that time. But I'm not sure if it has any effect on the ship or that the passengers would notice one way vs. the other. 

This is an awesome cruise itinerary.  We did a similar cruise on Serenade for 13 nights in Oct 2022.  We enjoyed it so much that it's on our wish list to do another Panama transit in the future.  Tendering in Cabo was our only issue.  The swells while at anchor made tendering dangerous and the Captain suspended passengers from going ashore. We also stayed for a B2B after arriving in Tampa.

I'm with @FionaMG. They are probably thinking they would have 3 23-hour days. 

I'm also with you, @Daniel5390. I want the long haul flight over at the beginning of the cruise, so we too have an Eastbound Panama Canal booked from LA to Miami. The loss of 3 hours is washed out by having a 2.5/3 hour flight home v. 5.5/6 hour flight home. You have a wonderful 16 night cruise; losing 3 hours is nothing for a more convenient return flight. Plus, with Radiance, you might get to go through the old locks?

Now, if you're talking about Transatlantics, we will only do Westbounds because 6 25-hour days is awesome but 6 23-hour days is a bit too much. 😍

3 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I'm with @FionaMG. They are probably thinking they would have 3 23-hour days. 

I'm also with you, @Daniel5390. I want the long haul flight over at the beginning of the cruise, so we too have an Eastbound Panama Canal booked from LA to Miami. The loss of 3 hours is washed out by having a 2.5/3 hour flight home v. 5.5/6 hour flight home. You have a wonderful 16 night cruise; losing 3 hours is nothing for a more convenient return flight. Plus, with Radiance, you might get to go through the old locks?

Now, if you're talking about Transatlantics, we will only do Westbounds because 6 25-hour days is awesome but 6 23-hour days is a bit too much. 😍

Unfortunately, for me, having the long flight first on a transatlantic means having 6 23-hour days. 😕

We've only done one so far and was westbound resulting in a veeery long homeward flight from Brazil.  One day we'll try it the other way.