Toddlers on Anthem of the seas

Radzagarwal

Hi 

We are booked for a 7 day cruise to Caribbean in April 2024( April 21st to April 28th).

We have a 6 year old and a 21 month old( in April 2024) and we were worried that since he will be in swum diapers, he won't be allowed in any pools other than the baby splash zone.. is that true? Do they expect us to just hangout as a family at the baby splash zone all the time?

I'm worried/confused.  Any inputs and guidance would  be appreciated. 

Thanks 

R

I'm not sure what's confusing.  Swim diapers are only allowed in the baby splash zone..  If your activities absolutely have to include being with your little ones and them being in water, then I guess that's where you'll be.  You might see if they are interested in Adventure Ocean to give you some time apart, or possibly other activities beyond swimming.  That's really up to you.

46 minutes ago, Radzagarwal said:

Guess the confusion is around the fact that swim diapers are for swimming..lol...why are they not allowed in the pools on the ship?? 

The cruise ship pools are kept to higher sanitation standards than pools on land, so they confine swim diapers to the smaller baby pool area.

59 minutes ago, Radzagarwal said:

Guess the confusion is around the fact that swim diapers are for swimming..lol...why are they not allowed in the pools on the ship?? 

We have been on many cruises with very little ones. The splash area on most of the ships are pretty awesome. You are confined to it if they have diapers. We always do fine but you are confined to that area. You'll have a great time, nothing to be worried about at all. 

"Even though swim diapers and swim pants might hold in some solid feces, they are not leak proof. Swim diapers can delay diarrhea-causing germs, like Cryptosporidium, from leaking into the water for a few minutes, but swim diapers do not keep these germs from contaminating the water."

Swim Diapers | Healthy Swimming | Healthy Water - CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (.gov)

Swimming diapers are recommended to be worn tight to prevent any accidents during swimming lessons or swimming activities. Additionally, one question many parents have is: do swim diapers hold urine? Swimming diapers are not meant to hold a baby's pee. The diaper is specially designed to catch solid waste only.

@Radzagarwal since you are new to the board, perhaps this blog post from a few years ago will be helpful as you prepare: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/04/07/introduction-bringing-toddlers-royal-caribbean-cruise  We have been on many cruises with our kids (and now our grandkids), and we have always had a great time.  Don't worry about being with your little one.  If your 6 year old is involved in Adventure Ocean activities, then they might not want to hang out with the parents and little brother anyway.

I've been through it myself and when talking to friends with kids as well: There seems to be a misconception that you spend a lot of time IN THE WATER at the pool deck on cruises. The pools are small and fine to stand around and chat but at the end of the day, they're basically water tanks. You can't really enjoy them in a way you'd enjoy a pool at a resort. My kids have been on a half dozen cruises since they were 2 up to now the oldest is 11, and I'd say the time we spend IN THE WATER on cruises is pretty minimal compared to what we do when we go to a resort (when our kids spend the entire day in the water.) There so much more to do on a cruise. You stay busy. 

It's hard to explain, but I wouldn't be too worried about not being able to use the main pools. It's not the focus of the vacation in the same way it is at a resort.  

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

I've been through it myself and when talking to friends with kids as well: There seems to be a misconception that you spend a lot of time IN THE WATER at the pool deck on cruises. The pools are small and fine to stand around and chat but at the end of the day, they're basically water tanks. You can't really enjoy them in a way you'd enjoy a pool at a resort. My kids have been on a half dozen cruises since they were 2 up to now the oldest is 11, and I'd say the time we spend IN THE WATER on cruises is pretty minimal compared to what we do when we go to a resort (when our kids spend the entire day in the water.) There so much more to do on a cruise. You stay busy. 

It's hard to explain, but I wouldn't be too worried about not being able to use the main pools. It's not the focus of the vacation in the same way it is at a resort.  

For kids, I would say the ships with the larger Splashaway Bays are used a lot more than the main pools. That's still an issue for those in diapers as they aren't permitted in the main Splashaway areas either, only the small areas with the baby zone splash pad. Could create issues with a 2 year old that sees a huge splash area with kids they don't get to go into. 

I tend to agree on overall use of the main pools (very little). 

As a further note, they generally ask that children not in swim diapers not swim/play in the baby splash zone.  I have never seen this written as a rule somewhere but there is usually a monitor in the baby splash zone preventing older kids from going in.  I assume they are trying to avoid cross-contamination between the baby zone and the splashaway bay zone but if your 6 year old likes to play with the almost-2 year old it is something to be aware of.

3 hours ago, Crown&AnchorEsq said:

As a further note, they generally ask that children not in swim diapers not swim/play in the baby splash zone.  I have never seen this written as a rule somewhere but there is usually a monitor in the baby splash zone preventing older kids from going in.  I assume they are trying to avoid cross-contamination between the baby zone and the splashaway bay zone but if your 6 year old likes to play with the almost-2 year old it is something to be aware of.

This is true! We went on Independence when my son just turned 3 he ran to the slide in the baby splash zone and was told no bc he was not wearing a swim diaper.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

we went on anthem early last but our son was still a baby back then. He’s 21 months this time around and is already mr Independant lol.
last year slept a lot of the time and was in the pram but this time going to need something to entertain him. It’ll be interesting to hear how you got on this time. Hope you had fun!