Icon of the Seas Retractable Funnel?

There is a video out on Youtube showing Icon going under the Sotrebaelt Bridge.  In the video at the 30 second mark you can see the funnel but it appears as though they are capable of retracting like some Oasis Class ships.

https://youtu.be/Vg2kh_ckZfY

Now I'm wondering can Icon go under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in New York?

Does anyone know how tall the Icon is (above the waterline) versus the MSC World America (or Europa)?  I saw a vlog on new cruise ships in 2024 that claimed Icon will be the largest cruise ship in the world, which is true.  But they also claimed the MSC World America will be the tallest since it will be 22 decks versus 20 decks for the Icon.  I don't believe you can go by that as deck heights can vary.  While all the other stats are available, I've always struggled finding the height of various Royal ships.  I'm not sure if they don't release that stat for some odd reason or it's just a stat that people don't tend to care about (until they see that bridge approaching in the distance, lol).

2 hours ago, Jjohnb said:

Does anyone know how tall the Icon is (above the waterline) versus the MSC World America (or Europa)?  I saw a vlog on new cruise ships in 2024 that claimed Icon will be the largest cruise ship in the world, which is true.  But they also claimed the MSC World America will be the tallest since it will be 22 decks versus 20 decks for the Icon.  I don't believe you can go by that as deck heights can vary.  While all the other stats are available, I've always struggled finding the height of various Royal ships.  I'm not sure if they don't release that stat for some odd reason or it's just a stat that people don't tend to care about (until they see that bridge approaching in the distance, lol).

Deck count isn't precise.  Some lines publish the number of public decks that are open for the public to use and some ships start their public decks at 4 or 5 versus another line that starts counting at deck 2.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Air draft numbers are hard to find. Oasis is supposedly 236 feet which can be retracted down to 213 feet with the telescoping funnel to get under those NYC bridges.

Youtube has videos and in both the Captain's state 72 - 73m normal air draft down to 65m to clear the Storebaelt Bridge.  However they also use the concept of squat to gain a little bit of extra clearance.  Squat doesn't work everywhere as it requires the right distance to seafloor and speed to work.  Those factors may not be available at the Verrazano-Narrows bridge.    The trim of the ship leaving the shipyard for the first time is also optimized and that may not be something they can duplicate once it's loaded in regular service with a full complement of passengers.  

Sailing in less buoyant warm water can lower vessel height. Additionally, lowering salinity will reduce buoyancy. 
Mean sea level also changes with tides. Speed, with certain water depth can create force pulling ship down. 

Summary- at full speed, during low Spring tide, with a large inflow of warm fresh water, Icon will fit under lots of bridges. 

Hi @JasonOasis!

Yes, funnels are retractable… 42 second mark of the official RC video from their YouTube channel…

I have no idea if it will clear the Verrazano, but one can wish! 😎

620E33D8-39B8-4575-B7B5-A5A34CBF2CBF.thumb.jpeg.c1bf0c0672b6d689292c4e6ce70d2079.jpeg

Here’s the official video of the bridge crossing…

I also like the shot of the underside of the bridge deck looking up from Central Park!

21 hours ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Sailing in less buoyant warm water can lower vessel height. Additionally, lowering salinity will reduce buoyancy. 
Mean sea level also changes with tides. Speed, with certain water depth can create force pulling ship down. 

Summary- at full speed, during low Spring tide, with a large inflow of warm fresh water, Icon will fit under lots of bridges. 

Also force everyone to use the restroom before boarding. Lighten things up a few pounds.