Newbie Questions...

TexasNative

Sorry if these are redundant, I have tried searching the forums...

First time cruiser.  Going this winter on Harmony of the Seas.  Sounds like I need to do a Single WiFi for 2/3 devices package, will figure out how to pay for it in advance lol.  Any suggestions otherwise?  I'll be with my girlfriends family...and will want WiFi on my phone and/or PC, and probably for her Phone....unless we are able to communicate on our phones via the app...then I just need one WiFi for my laptop (I will need to work daily at least for a bit...).

As for the drink packages, a couple questions:

1) How much would a basic cocktail/beer be at a bar?  I'm trying to justify $79/day/passenger for the drink package...are drinks $20?
2) When they say you can bring two bottles of wine per person, is "wine" interchangeable with vodka? LOL  What about beer?  Sodas (for kids)?
3)  Is there a liquor store on board (or only at the restaurants)?  If so, what type of prices would one expect to pay?

Tipping seems to be popular to pre-pay then tip additionally if need be/desired?

First timer, so take it easy on me 🙂  Thanks all!

Welcome to the message boards!

3 hours ago, TexasNative said:

How much would a basic cocktail/beer be at a bar?

Royal Caribbean Drink Prices

When they say you can bring two bottles of wine per person, is "wine" interchangeable with vodka? LOL  What about beer?  Sodas (for kids)?

No, just wine (or champagne, which is sparkling wine). No beer, no vodka.

Soda is allowed

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/09/04/what-food-or-drinks-youre-allowed-bring-royal-caribbean-cruise

Is there a liquor store on board

Yes. Prices are duty free, but I've found many times you can get better deals on land at Wal mart or favorite liquor store. YMMV

First time cruiser.  Going this winter on Harmony of the Seas.  Sounds like I need to do a Single WiFi for 2/3 devices package, will figure out how to pay for it in advance lol.  Any suggestions otherwise?  I'll be with my girlfriends family...and will want WiFi on my phone and/or PC, and probably for her Phone....unless we are able to communicate on our phones via the app...then I just need one WiFi for my laptop (I will need to work daily at least for a bit...).

1) How much would a basic cocktail/beer be at a bar?  I'm trying to justify $79/day/passenger for the drink package...are drinks $20?
2) When they say you can bring two bottles of wine per person, is "wine" interchangeable with vodka? LOL  What about beer?  Sodas (for kids)?
3)  Is there a liquor store on board (or only at the restaurants)?  If so, what type of prices would one expect to pay?

Tipping seems to be popular to pre-pay then tip additionally if need be/desired?

It's One bottle of wine per person with a max of 2 bottles per stateroom double occupancy.

and while the liquor store prices are duty free - you don't buy the bottle and walk out with it like you do on land. They'll store it and give it to you before you disembark. 

As for the WiFi - you'll be able to chat through the app for free. It's not always as handy as iMessage though because in my experience using it last December I rarely if ever got notifications that I had a message waiting so you'll have to check the app for new messages. If you buy a one device package, it's not just that device for the duration of the cruise. You can sign off of it on your laptop and sign back in on your phone. Just can't use more than 1 device at a time with it. 

@TexasNative Nope can't buy liquor by the bottle for consumption on board.  Gotta buy your drinks one at a time!  And while looking at the drink package price, remember that's before they add 18% gratuity.  So $79 * 1.18 = $93.22 per person per day.  That will cover your gratuities for all drinks you get with the package.  Buying individual drinks also gets 18% added.  So if you only drink cocktails, you're looking at $79/$14 or $15 = about 5-6 drinks per day to break even.  If you only drink beer, more like 8 drinks per day.  If you also take advantage of the bottled water, specialty coffee, soda, etc, then you have to do more math but it does lower how many alcoholic drinks you need per day.  Keep in mind, the more port days you have, the less time on the ship you may have to drink those drinks.  And alcohol fatigue is a thing on a long cruise - if you aren't used to drinking day after day, it gets harder to break even.

1 minute ago, Atlantix2000 said:

@TexasNative Nope can't buy liquor by the bottle for consumption on board.  Gotta buy your drinks one at a time!  And while looking at the drink package price, remember that's before they add 18% gratuity.  So $79 * 1.18 = $93.22 per person per day.  That will cover your gratuities for all drinks you get with the package.  Buying individual drinks also gets 18% added.  So if you only drink cocktails, you're looking at $79/$14 or $15 = about 5-6 drinks per day to break even.  If you only drink beer, more like 8 drinks per day.  If you also take advantage of the bottled water, specialty coffee, soda, etc, then you have to do more math but it does lower how many alcoholic drinks you need per day.  Keep in mind, the more port days you have, the less time on the ship you may have to drink those drinks.  And alcohol fatigue is a thing on a long cruise - if you aren't used to drinking day after day, it gets harder to break even.

I'm quite a heavy drinker lol

Thanks for the info!  I'm currently trying to do their buy one, get another drink package for 50% off, but I'm not seeing the discount reflected at checkout.

6 hours ago, TexasNative said:

If you buy the drink package, an 18% service charge will be added automatically. So you don't really get a choice in that. (They add the same fee on each drink when you buy on board, so it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.) But on board you can always give an additional tip for good service. 

As for whether the drink package is "worth it," I think @Atlantix2000 hit it on the head with something a lot of people don't think about. You need to factor in how many sodas, bottles of water, specialty coffees, energy drinks, etc. will you drink in addition to the alcoholic drinks? Those are all included in the deluxe package so, if those are things you would take advantage of, that may factor into your equation. 

I'm quite a heavy drinker lol

Thanks for the info!  I'm currently trying to do their buy one, get another drink package for 50% off, but I'm not seeing the discount reflected at checkout.

That's because the price you see already includes that "discount"!  Wait a few days and they will call it a different sale with different terms but it will still magically calculate out to the same thing.  Ignore all the text and just focus on the number shown.  Track that number up and down and buy when it looks good.  You can always cancel and repurchase if it goes down further.

4 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

That's because the price you see already includes that "discount"!  Wait a few days and they will call it a different sale with different terms but it will still magically calculate out to the same thing.  Ignore all the text and just focus on the number shown.  Track that number up and down and buy when it looks good.  You can always cancel and repurchase if it goes down further.

Before TexasNative asks, yes, Black Friday can have some really good sales. Typically on other people's sailings. Rarely your own. 

Drink prices can be seen on the bar menus in the app.

Of note… on the cocktail pricing $10-14 on the list. Simple things like rum and coke and vodka/soda are on the low end of that. Goto Kraken and Diet Coke $9.99 and Tito’s club soda $10.99. So there is a little there if you don’t drink the “Big time” drinks…of course the 18% gratuities need to be added…

On 9/18/2023 at 7:32 AM, TexasNative said:

Cocktails approx $14,  beer and wine $8 and up.  There will be specials and drinks of the day at lower price.  Any liquor you buy at liquor store cannot be consumed on the cruise.  They will deliver it to your room the night before you disembark to take home with you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.  Just a couple of additional comments; remember that everyone in a cabin has to get the drink package if one person gets it.  I would say for a first time cruiser who drinks a lot just get the discounted drink package and have a great time.  You can check out your consumption after the fact and have more data for your next cruise.  Also, keep checking back online regarding the drink package price.  You would think it would be static but it isn't.  They change pricing all the time.  If the price goes down you can cancel the package and re-purchase at the lower price - no penalty.

RE: WiFi -  if you have T-Mobile you will have normal cellular service at no charge for text and data at all your ports of call.